1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRoboto, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Sad to see it in that state. Lots of great memories of that building.

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

I wonder how all of them toilets are doing? Anyone think they pay someone to flush and clean them every now and then? No telling how many hundreds of toilets. Maybe a thousand. I imagine dirty stagnent water sitting in them all.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I guess the last time it was used was to house Katrina evacuees.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Can't they sell lots of the parts in the Dome, such as chairs, pieces of the field, signs, pieces of the roof once it comes down, some of the stuff from the locker rooms, etc. to raise money to do something with it?

1 person likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

"George, listen to me. I have a very important job for you...I want you to come by twice a day and flush the toilet so the gaskets don't dry out and leak."

"Well, what about the mail?"

"This is far more important. You must exercise the gaskets, George."

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I call dibs on the Eric Anthony homerun seat

7. BleedsRocketRed

I called today n 790 just saying to blow the thing up and build something like a memorial on the grounds with statues and something for home plate. Who knows what they will do with it.

8. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Of course I remember going to catch ball games there but also monster truck shows with my pops. :)

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Part of the problem with that is they'd have to hire people to work security and handle the sale. May not even be worth doing that.

Would love to get something though. I only have faint memories of the place, but its a piece of what once was.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

What sad sad photos. I always thought they should save it but now I have my doubts.

11. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Every April, Chronicle does a "what to do with the Astrodome" story.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've been saying for years that they should just tear it down. But logistics aside, most fans seemed resistant to the idea. Now it's finally starting to look like a lot of fans are ready to let go.

I loved the place, but indefinitely leaving it a rotting corpse is really sad. Time to give it a proper burial.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's more because they have to tear it down piece by piece. They can't blow it up due to it's proximity to Reliant Stadium. The explosion and vibrations because of could damage the stadium.

14. juicystream

That would make it really dumb that they didn't tear it down before.

15. juicystream

I was strongly in favor of keeping it, but tearing it down is better than letting it be destroyed by time.

16. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

A couple of comments on this one:

The asbestos issue is huge in respect to cost of demolition.

I have read the same information in respect to potential impact on Reliant stadium due to mechanical vibration. In an area prone to hurricanes I'm calling bull**** on that one. There is no way that structurally Reliant could not withstand a controlled demolition of the Astrodome.

The explosions themselves would be relatively minor considering how much gravity is on your side in a demolition. Especially with surgically pre-weakened structural steel.

Asbestos removal on a 9 acre building is a little more intense and time consuming.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ [idea]

[​IMG]

:eek:

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you are going to have to spend 120mil to demolish it, it would be cheaper to pay the 1 mil a year to just leave it there. If you take that 120mil put it in 1% CD you get enough for the current costs of it. I think the city still owes money for the bonds on that thing. That is why sports stadiums are terrible for city financially. I especially hate the deal McNair got.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Leave it and let it age naturally...

[​IMG]

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true, the asbestos is the issue. If they could demo it with explosives like usual, then it's proximity to Reliant is not a factor at all. They implode large building closer to more fragile surrounding all the time.