1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assuming Yao doesn't opt out this summer and we resign him next year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ketchup&Mustard, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Ketchup&Mustard

How long of a contract do you think we will offer him? More importantly, how long will he be a dominate NBA center?

It obviously depends on how well he comes back from his surgery, but let's assume he comes back just as strong as Big Z did. I was looking at Big Z's career stats today and they were very encouraging. As we all know, he had the same surgery in 2001 that Yao had last year, and in the 02-03 season he came back to post a career best 17.2 ppg and 7.5 reb with an all-star appearance to boot. This was the first time since 97-98 that he played practically a full season as well with 81 games. Since 02-03 up until this last season he's also been very affective. In 07-08 he averaged 14.1 and 9.3 and in 08-09 he averaged 12.9 and 7.5, both in line with his career averages of 13.8 and 7.7. I believe he could have put up similar numbers this season if it wasn't for the acquisition of Shaq.

Thus, Big Z has been a very affective center NBA center past the age of 30 and at 34 he was still producing at a high level. Yao will have just turned 30 by the time the next season starts. Will he maintain his career averages into his mid-thirties as well? My guess is that his numbers take a slight drop with decreased minutes, maybe 17 ppg and 8 reb., and by the time he hits 32 or 33 he will still be an affective center but not the dominate center he once was...

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Kind of hard to do not knowing the new CBA.

But under the current CBA, and assuming Yao makes a Big Z-esque comeback, he'll definitely get $60+ mil contract from somebody. The Rockets may lengthen the years to make it luxury tax friendly over the duration(especially if we take on another long term salary this offseason like Bosh or Brand). But overall I'd imagine something to the extent of a 4yr/$60 mil.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

unless he gets back to 20-10, he's not worth the max on morey's roster.

however, the business side of things still makes him worth the max to les.

i think the owner eventually wins this battle, but morey won't commit long term. maybe 3 years with a team option for a 4th. also, i wouldn't be surprised if it were front loaded. meaning his salary starts at max but declines every year instead of raising.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

dominant
    effective

Just realized it's another CarlHerrera :confused:

5. Ketchup&Mustard

didn't realize somebody had Carl Herrera when I made the name.

Also, I thought it was affective, because the root "affect" is correct over "effect" in this case. But you're right, when the "ive" ending is added the word takes on a whole other meaning

6. Ketchup&Mustard

I completely agree that the contract length and salary structure will be something like this. How long do you think he'll be a dominant center into the said contract length?

7. Ketchup&Mustard

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's up in the air. depends on how good he is when he comes back from this surgery. and i dont mean when he first gets back, i mean when he's back to "100%" which may be towards the end of next season, or even the start of 2011-2012 which would be the first year of his new contract.

the rockets will really be going into the negotiations with a lot of question marks around yao. yao will want the max, but will he ever regain his former dominance? no one knows.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Didn't we have a thread like thia about 2 or 3 months ago???