1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assigning Responsibility For Sixer Points -Overtime Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxOn RoxOff, Nov 14, 2013.

1. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

I'd do it for the whole game if I had the time but here is the breakdown of the Sixers scoring in OT:

106-108 Evan Turner makes two point shot

Driving layup by Evan Turner - guarded by Chandler Parsons. Dwight stayed at the perimeter to guard Hawes. TJones didn't rotate to help Chandler out. Good play design by Sixers to draw the best rim protector away from the rim.

Chandler Parsons shooting foul (Thaddeus Young draws the foul)

On fast break off of a missed 3, Sixers offensive rebound and passed to Evan Turner. Lin was first one back and was on Turner. Turner passed to Young, who was fouled by Parsons to save the layup.

109-111 Evan Turner makes driving layup

Evan Turner guarded by Chandler Parsons. Chandler got screened by Hawes. Dwight a step behind the driving Turner who made the layup over TJones. Dwight probably could've helped Chandler and TJones out there by forcing Turner to the interior.

Jeremy Lin shooting foul (Thaddeus Young draws the foul)

On fast break, Jeremy only one back and fouled Young to save layup.

114-115 Spencer Hawes makes two point shot

Evan Turner guarded by Chandler. Screen by Hawes, Turner drives and misses, Hawes put-back dunk over the back of Dwight Howard.

From there on out, we have the intentional fouls. The key for all of these plays actually have been to get Dwight out of the paint and they then abused TJones. Unfortunately, we just didn't deal with it that well. There you have it - conclusive proof that Jeremy Lin lost us the game.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

people can't even pinpoint the problem.

The twin towers
    Harden defense
    the pg

3. Reach

Reach Member

4. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

I just prefer good analysis over hyperbolic claims. Call it a pet peeve.

5. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Harden played terrible defense today though - he guarded nobody.

1 person likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm convinced. James Anderson scoring 36 points on 75% shooting was just not relevant to the loss. Tony Wroten getting a triple double was also irrelevant. 19 turnovers also did not play a factor.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Oh is that why? lol

8. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

That's not my goal.

I'd love to have that discussion and walk through each play to figure out what broke down but it's not today. Maybe over the weekend.

But what passes for analyses in the game thread is just plain weak sauce.

9. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

All I know it's the last two plays before OT is that chandler messed it up. Specially the last play how do u let chandler handle the ball? And then how do u not pass it to Lin when he its hot.

Play on the defensive end was McHale for not putting a bigger guy on the hot hand ( Anderson) like Garcia or Brewer. And also Lin not going at least from that pass to Anderson which it was a 50/50. At least if lin committed a foul there would have given us the ball back w 6 secs to get it in and get free throws.

10. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

I like Lin but I'd call him out when he plays poorly.

I just don't think all the back and forth in the game thread about "Lin sucks, JA scored 36!" is great discussion.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

About as much weak sauce as you citing a couple plays in overtime as the reason we lost the game.

12. Reach

Reach Member

But it's a valid criticism. No one but the trolls are saying he lost us this game, but if you let your man score 36 on 80%, that's just not good. If Harden scores 30 and lets M.J. Reddick score 35 and we lose the game, few would be singing his praises.

1 person likes this.
  13. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

We did lose the game in OT when both teams started 0-0.

That being said, point taken. I just don't have time to do this for the whole game - thought something is better than nothing. You're note telling me you'd prefer we shout statistics over each other instead of play-by-play analysis?

14. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Lin was getting gassed in 4th quarter. I see going to a different shooter at the same time, the other shooters haven't exactly been hot either. What was really frustrating, especially that Garcia play was how little play design there was to try to get a more open look.

15. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

I agree to a degree. I do think Lin needs to step it up on defense. That being said, JA made TOUGH shots. That's all you can do in the game is to make your guy take tough shots. If he is hot, there is not much you can do.

16. torocan

torocan Member

Are you referring to the complete lack of picks, screens, back screens, cutting or curls?

Doesn't every HOF HC just call an inbound, 4 foot pass and a contested jumper by a player shooting 1/5 from deep for the night?

17. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

YES! STATISTICS GOOD!!

18. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Cuts, screens, picks? That sounds really complicated. Probably not going to work. Let's stick to one pass and one shot. OK? #occamsrazor #sarcasm

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Preferably accompanied by graphs!

20. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

STATISTICS! I WIN!