1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ask yourself why Morey didn't get a big man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 10, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

i get it, having depth at big would help but there's gotta be some things off about him scaring teams all around the league. especially after his camp noted he already had an apparent offer and he would be playing right after AS weekend. just a tough situation. We have what maybe a month left in the season before the playoffs. hard to really say someone who hasn't played in like 2 years really coming in to be able to contribute at a high level.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

No disrespect intended.... but I'm gonna go out a limb here and guess you are younger... maybe 20s or maybe early 30's...? maybe I'm wrong... just guessing...

I throw that out there b/c as someone comin up on 50, who's been a Rox fan for nearly 4 decades... I've watched enough heartbreaking seasons to look at this year and figure it's just another tease... yeh, we're a better team than we've been since the Yao/TMac era - but still glaring weaknesses... and it pisses me off that this being the best opportunity in over a decade and we are not addressing these weaknesses...

I hope we put together a magical run to the championship... but as the saying goes... hope in one hand...

btw, you do have the best avatar on the site... every time I see it, it makes me smile - so thank you for that. :)

fattz likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I agree that this year is looking like a tease and I honestly think we're going to end up losing in the first round; but also don't know what people are complaining about with respect to Morey.

There are no big men available that would improve our team. Bogut was the one and we went for it but didn't seem like we stood a chance against Cleveland. Larry Sanders? The guy hasn't played in 2 years and has some off-court drama. Sure, I'd like to see us bring him in but I also don't know as much as Morey does about the situation.

Those that are complaining about Morey not making more moves don't know enough about the NBA. We had one move to make, using our 1st Rd pick, and we got Lou with it. Best move? I'm not sure, but definitely a smart move. How many times has Bev been injured come playoff time? Does Gordon not have injury history? One of those guys goes down and we don't have Lou it would have been game over for us.

A few years ago everyone made fun of Morey bringing in Prigioni. Then Bev goes down before the playoffs and frankly, Pablo was very helpful against the Clippers.

4. kjayp

i hear ya... but let me ask... what if (heaven forbid) Clint goes down again? We get a b2b and what happens then? No Nene on night 2.... Trez starts and he's backed up by somebody who's never even been on the court with these guys?

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

If anyone knows Morey's history, you know that Morey has always LOVED SMALL BASKETBALL PLAYERS for their position;

CHUCK HAYES
    AARON BROOKS
    LUTHER HEAD
    JOEY DORSEY
    CARL LANDRY

THE GAME ISN'T HARD! If you put together a roster that's athletic with length, you tend to win more than not.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

It's crazy cause a week ago when I was pushing the Larry Sanders hype train everyone said we need a wing. Now we get a wing and everyone wants a big:rolleyes:

#86 DonKnock, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  7. dwhite

dwhite Member

As great of a season as Morey has had, it will end as every other season has for the past 23 years with no Finals appearance. We will not win it all with small ball. That should be our new motto.

kjayp likes this.
  8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Thats very unfair to do morey like that. Those were all late 1st round or 2nd round picks. Chuck was undrafted.

Landry and Brooks especially were steals. They were great value picks that he was collecting. They dropped because of their size. Do you listen to his interviews?

Brooks got us Dragic and a pick.

Landry got us martin which eventually got us harden.

I guarantee that you have not reached some sort of realization or epiphany about basketball that Morey isnt aware of.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's the spirit. attaboy. :rolleyes:

DonKnock and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'd say there's actuallly room for both. If I had to pick a big like bogut is more preferable for situational purposes.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Small ball has won since GS started it 2 years ago. Clev won it last year with small ball. That's the norm now. Pace and space. You have to be able to matchup with it because that's what is winning games. Don't see why people still don't get that part

12. dwhite

dwhite Member

That is a flat out myth....Golden State had Bogut, Ezeeli, and Speights. 3 true bigs!!!

D-rock likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nope not a myth. Neither of those guys finished games or played big minutes at all. Btw speights isn't a true big. He camps on the 3 PT line.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

I don't see what age has to do with objectively understanding that winning a NBA championship is very hard. If you thought this was a championship team then that's on you for overvaluing this team, as I would argue we have over performed our pre-seasons expectations. We have a punchers chance this season of winning but it's not a high one.

How do expect us to just "address: those weaknesses when we are competing against 29 other teams? Players who can rebound and defend at a high level aren't just hanging around at the trade deadline. Morey is well aware of our issues and he overturns every stone looking for that guy, but sometimes it just isn't there,

fattz likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

The Heat, GSW, and Cavs disagree. Look at who played the most minutes and were featured in the most lineups.... not traditional centers or pfs.

16. basketballholic

You might want to check the plus minus data. They might be eighth best in terms of gross totals but that doesn't mean they are good. Check their plus minus per 100 possessions. Very mediocre compared to other team's big 3 plus minus. The other factor is a lot is that net plus minus comes from the defensive side where Paul and DJ are excellent defensively and Blake is good.

The first and foremost test is the eye test. When we played them they couldn't get it going offensively and we were not playing tight D. We simply let Blake catch and we faded him, letting him chew up the shot clock, then we ran and jacked threes on them when they clanked. When they finally decided to clamp defensively they shut us down but they still struggled to score.

Additionally it is illogical to believe that replacing Anderson with Blake in the starting line-up won't hurt our spacing when paired with a pnr center that can't shoot. We essentially become what the clippers are now for that 12-15 minutes you mentioned that we don't have to worry about right now. Ssh even though it's only 12-15 minutes, that's 25-30% of the game that we are playing with a spread 4 now. That's a significant spacing decrease for a significant portion of the game for us.

Shooting the three from the 4 door is essential for having the necessary spacing an offense needs to be elite. You have the ball handler and the big picking and rolling. The other three guys need to be able to shoot the three efficiently to be elite. That very simply means that at least one of the power spots, either center other power forward, needs to be able to stretch.

Two more points:
    Dude, Blake's midrange game sucks.

Secondly, the lineup you described, Bev, Gordon, Harden, Ariza (or any other shooting forward), sans Blake and replaced with Capela or any other pnr big would rival the Warriors for offensive efficiency. Where we wouldn't hang with the Warriors would be defensively.

#96 basketballholic, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  17. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Subtle.

18. basketballholic

Totally agree here and we might be surprised by just how HIGH Anderson's trade value becomes this summer.

And this is another reason I hope we sign Melli. He's another legit big that will gun the three efficiently and in volume.

19. kjayp

Yes it is very hard to win a championship... even if you have the best team you still may not win... (ie: Phi Slama Jama)

No, I don't think this is a championship team - and I don't see us making the moves to become one... the mantra has been 'we're going all in' 'the window is now...' ' we better maximize our opportunity now with Harden...' etc.. etc..
    were all that the case... then we're not reacting as we should...
    idk who the best center in the D league is... but evidently we didn't offer him a 10 day contract...
    We haven't brought up our D league center to get him acclimated to the team - in case the need should arise...
    Maybe we looked at sanders and Morey decided to pass... havent heard anything along those lines...

fattz likes this.
  20. kjayp

Is it 'small ball' that won those championships...
    or is it the best player in the league surrounded by a bunch of vet ring chasers... and a team that was able to hit 3s at a higher rate than ever accomplished...?
    Hey if you got a team that rivals LeBron and his supporting cast... or a team that can hit the 3 as good as GS... then by all means - follow their gameplan...