1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ask yourself why Morey didn't get a big man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 10, 2017.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

My opinion....Morey will never stop hunting for stars. That's the best way to increase wins and minimize variance (the bad kind).

IMO, trading Anderson is the best way to open up max cap room. Otherwise, all of Beverley, Ariza and Lou Williams would have to go...no exceptions. That opens up too many holes on this team. Trading Anderson opens just one hole that you have reasonable alternatives to help fill....Wiltjer, Dekker and even Ariza.

napalm06 and justtxyank like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Seriously?

Taj aint that great. Id rather have lou

D-rock likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

I appreciate this response lol. My kinda humor

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

One has nothing to do with the other....
    Look I hope we pull off a great run and win a championship - nothing would please me more!
    It's ALL about winning the chip... NOTHING (record, MVP, 6th man...) means a thing without the ring... and although I hope and pray... seems to me have some glaring holes that someone like a Pop is gonna exploit come playoff time...
    We need some interior defense and a true inside threat we can go to if the 3s aren't dropping... I love CC and Trez, but with Nene limited... i don't see us having the horses downlow for crunch time and easy buckets...

People that want to keep touting 'our record' as proof that all is good... Thanks, but I'll pass on being the latest incarnation of the Stockton/Malone Utah Jazz....

#64 kjayp, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. kjayp

I agree it's all a gamble... some guys are just bigger gambles than others...

6. kjayp

I'm not going to go through all of Morey's picks - cause hindsight is 20/20... people can complain we didn't take Kawhi or whatever but I don't hold that against Morey...

What i look at is for example we drafted Onuaku... hey maybe the guy will develop.. I hope he's the next Hakeem... or maybe he'll be the next Malick Badiane... point is, was there nobody else available who could be pulling 10 mins a night now in a backup role?

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

How are they not related?o_O

- You assert that singing a big would be the step needed to get us a ring.

- You assert that we made an error in signing a wing rather than a big.

- You then assert that anything other than a ring is failure.

- You assert (in the previous post) that nothing Morey has done to put us in a position to even be one piece away matters because he made the wing move to stroke his own ego

Signing wing (assertion 2) leads to ignoring the place we are currently in (assertion 4) because there is no nuance in play (assertion 3)

Seems all pretty related. :)

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Los Angeles doesn't have the same glitz as it once did. The Lakers are a shell of its former self (not even); the Clippers are always the little brother to the Lakers, despite being far better at this point in time.

I only repeat what many seem to believe. I'm not quoting the Ramona Shelburnes (just keep your hands and your feet away from her mouth and you should be fine) and the other Los Angeles media who have only recently become aware that not every player wants to go to the Lakers. Part of the impossibility of trading George was that he only really wants to go home, or take the money in Indiana. Other non-Shelburnes talk about Griffin might like being close to his Hollywood (commercial?) opportunities and such.

These stories might be apocryphal. In any case, people can change their minds.

Griffin has his health issues but he averages 5 assists. He'd be awesome here. I won't hold my breath. I have learned that much from always coming in second place (notwithstanding Dwight Howard's signing).

9. kjayp

i'm not just saying that because we signed a wing the sky is all of a sudden falling... I'm saying its a pattern of small moves and picks that are attempts to 'strike it rich' rather than providing for reasonable backup options where needed... I've been clamoring for a banger since the season started... I wasn't worried... i figured DM was waiting for the right deal... well trade deadline came and went... buyouts are done... we were sitting on empty roster spots... we filled those spots... still no big...

I don't know Larry Sanders personally... idk what kind of shape he's in... but that would be the first dude I'd be looking at... (on a DMo type contract team option every year)...

Entering the year, we were looking to keep DMo - we didn't and we didnt go find another pf/c.... we attempted to get Bogut - we didn't and we havent added another big...

CC (whos had noteable injury), Nene (who cant play b2b), Trez (who cant get consistent minutes for some reason) and RA (who's health is spotty at best..) are all the guys we have playing who are true pfs and centers... seriously... does anyone think thats sufficient? I guess maybe if you're putting all your eggs in the small ball 3 pt barrage basket....

I realize it was only a 10 day contract... but c'mon, shouldn't we be using that slot to test drive a big?

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Low percentage? El oh el...

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

12. dmoneybangbang

It seems we have consistently unearthed role players with our mid round picks.

I'd be happy if he was merely a contributing role player.

We got Nene who is averaging more than 10 minutes and Harrell is glued to the bench since he can't shoot.

Have you considered maybe we are only as good as our records indicates?

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

So who the hell is going to sign Sanders?

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is true, here in this archival photo we see Murray looking to unearth a role player with his mid-round pick

[​IMG]

#74 Os Trigonum, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody. the hype is bs

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You can't tell me you wouldn't risk having him going into the playoffs....

17. Lightsnowaction

Is this off the eve of NurkicFever?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

judging by the amount of legit interest around the league in actually signing him I probably could. everyone that is making him a bigger deal than it should be are just desperate or impressed with the name recognition. that doesn't do much for me

19. Daddy Long Legs

What about a big sturdy white woman?

20. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Understand however just having a player that size for rebounding at the very least is better then whatever we have. We're not going to have fun playing Memphis or Oklahoma I'll tell you that

kjayp likes this.