1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik - Will the Bulls match?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Margrave, Jul 2, 2012.

?

Will the Bulls match the Rockets offer for Asik

Poll closed Jul 23, 2012.
  1. Yes

35.1%
  2. No

64.9%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe they trade other players on their roster and keep Asik?

They could always amnesty Boozer, Noah, or Deng....if Asik breaks out.

DD

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

If they watch, I wouldn't be surprised if Morey calls them minutes after proposing a Martin for Noah deal. I wouldn't be surprised if that's his backup plan, or maybe even his plan all along.

He may not have lead the team to the promised land yet, but Morey is one clever b*stard.

In fact, I think that almost works better for both teams. The Bulls get the two guard they need, we get the better of their two centers, and Asik can easily take over Noah's spot.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

A lot of us think this way...

4. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

Uh, he only as one year left. Sounds like a match.

5. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

[Tribune] Bulls react to Asik's offer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...react-to-asiks-offer-20120702,0,2996187.story
    Not quite the "we'll match whatever" attitude from before...

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Translation: Seriously? He got 8 mil?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think they will match, but I don't really care if they do or don't. This isn't exactly a great value for us. On the flip side, I don't think it's as terrible as some are saying either. It's just a meh deal.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They are talking with Hinrich and Roy.

The more salary they intend on adding, the less likely they match imo.

9. WNBA

WNBA Member

Hope they can match or that was a lock on the mediocrity for many more years.

10. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

The more i read about Asik the most i think he will turn into a BUST signing

The rate that he picks up fouls is shocking, almost Thabeet like. But i hope McHale can develop him better

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Bear in mind, "home" teams usually put on a poker face about matching to further tie up the outside team's plans. I don't think there's much you can take from it.

Additionally:
    'Omer Asik' is Turkish for 'Rockets are on crack'
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...nt-match-asik-offer-20120702,0,7613653.column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...e-offer-for-asik-20120701,0,7584944,post.poll
    Poll currently 72-28 in favor of not matching (means little to GM, of course)

12. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I guarantee you..he's GARBAGE. I've lived in Chicago my whole life, watched virtually every single Rockets game.

I moved to Houston back in November. As soon as my friends in Chicago got wind that Houston was offering Asik all of that money...I received at least 10 texts from friends back home...pretty much stating "LOL!!!", "what are your Rockets thinking"...."WTF"...etc.

Morey is pretty much paying Asik for being 7 ft tall. If that was the case, you we should have just kept Thabeet for a fraction of the price.

We ALL saw Omer this playoff series during the Sixers. Tell me, what about his performance during the playoffs warrants 8 mill a year?

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Small sample size. Basing your opinion of a player on one playoff series is straight-up lobotomized turkey levels of r****ded.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

bulls cant afford that 3rd year of his contract so NO they wont match. They will be way over the cap if offering him 15 mill . Morey was smart to do what he did

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think the Bulls will match.

They have till Feb 2013 to get themselves below the threshold. Asik is only going to cost them an additional 3 million this coming season. They have almost 3 years to figure out a way to get under the threshold when Asiks salary jumps to 15 million.

I think they are confident that they can move the required salaries to keep Asik.

16. teebone21

teebone21 Member

all mchale will teach is for him to jump straight up and down when contesting shots at the rim. Once he learns that he will play major minutes. Hibbert was a foul machine also for couple of seasons but once he learned to put his hands up and jump vertically, he stopped picking up fouls. BBALL 101. Problem with Asik is he contest every shot at the time which is good but also bad because of foul possibilities

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What we "saw" was how much Rose pushing tempo meant to the Bulls. And how much Tibby-doo's "give the ball to Rose" as an offense failed.

Asik can reasonably run the floor. But if he can block shots or grab a rebound prior to an outlet pass starting a break, he's worth half-again MLE $.

But it's speculation as the Bulls will match. :)

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The "to match or not to match" decision has little to do with THIS season.

It's all about the 2014-15 season, when the Bulls will have almost $62 million tied up in JUST Rose, Boozer, Noah and Asik. It is highly doubtful that they will either (a) not have any other guaranteed money on the books that season or (b) be able to field a competitive team with so little available "non-taxed" funds to spend on the other 10-11 roster spots.

Unless the Bulls think that Asik is clearly going to be a superior player to Boozer or Noah, then moving and/or amnestying either of those guys in order to keep Asik is just stupid.

Chicago might match. But it will be one of the dumbest moves in franchise history if they do.

19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

If they do match I could us snagging Noah for Martin and then flipping Noah, Lowry, Morris, Patterson for Howard but that's just fantasy probably.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Taj Gibson's defensive abilities insure they won't match.