1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

?

TT?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2014.
  1. Yassssssss

165 vote(s)
    83.8%
  2. Naaw

32 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. do work son

do work son Member

start dwight and tjones.
    after about 4-5 minutes, take out jones and put in asik. in another 4-5 minutes, take out howard and bring in jones.

keep fresh legs on aldridge throughout the first quarter, and then in the 2nd quarter dmo and powell can spell dwight and asik

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Asik doesn't bite on Aldridge's pumps as much as Dwight does so he's likely to not get in foul trouble as easily as Dwight. He's also like 7'1 it's giving Aldridge fits when he goes against him. If we can just keep Aldridge shooting 20fters and out of the paint, then I like our odds a lot more.

3. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Mix it up. Do a lot of different things. Constant adjustments. That's what the playoffs are all about.

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

5. pakattak

pakattak Member

Nice to see people are noticing.

Asik is probably the only 'bully' defender we've got. Howard's got the athleticism and the shot blocking ability, but he can't back down a dude like the big O can.

So glad we didn't trade him in December.

6. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

We should have practiced it a tad more if we wanted to use it in the playoffs.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

So a 12 second clip that had Aldridge miss one shot is enough evidence that we should play the Twin Tower lineup?

Actually....yes I wouldn't be opposed to that for anywhere from 10-20 minutes a game depending on how it is going. And with that lineup, I would feel comfortable with either Asik or Dwight guarding him, or even mixing it up betwen possessions. Having both of them is one of the reasons I feel about as confident as can be about our chances against the Blazers.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would think that the coaches would want to have this in their back pocket to use in situations, but I wouldn't count on seeing it primarily because of the lack of court time & success those two have had together since the start of the season.

However, I can almost guarantee you in practice today and tomorrow its something they are probably trying to get a keen eye on, and running them through sets together just in case.

But the bulk of the load is probably going to come with Jones taking a stab at guarding him at first, and then moving Howard on LMA with Jones trying to block out Lopez. There are different ways to play LMA and the Blazers, and I expect McHale to try pretty much every variation at some point.... just dont get too excited about getting extensive run of the TT.

9. afk

afk Member

Yasssssssik?

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

No way Asik starts in place of Jones for chem purposes atleast. i'm assuming coaches will be watching Jones performance and will react accordingly. I say we see asik in the second half more though. But i'm damn certain no TT start.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Like the saying goes, plenty of ways to skin a cat. TJ is a very capable offensive player and should try and get LA in early foul trouble. A foul in the first 3 mins of the game can have a huge effect on his ability to defend and possibly, first half minutes if he picks up another one during the first.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Now if we could just get Linsanity back for the playoffs the Rockets will be sitting pretty this off season.

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

LA sucks in the Playoffs. Don't worry about him.

14. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

YES YES AND YES

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We don't even need to get cute. If we simply play our game we'll win in 5.

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

T Jones gets ripped apart by Aldridge, he's just way too short to guard him. I don't think the Rockets really have a choice, they have to put Asik or Dwight on him (even D Mo would guard him better than Jones).

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The problem is, Asik will slow Aldridge down a little bit, but he will slow our offense down a lot IMO.

We need to find a balance. Physically there is no one better to guard LMA than Terrence Jones. He's quicker and can challenge jumpers while active and annoying to Aldridge on the opposite end. I know he's stunk it up in this matchup, but I can't shake the feeling that it's a matter of small sample size more than anything else.

Doesn't hurt that he had plenty of time to watch tons of tape, get some extra coaching and listen to the media bash him about it. I predict he'll play much better defense going forward, but Aldridge won't get any better.

18. Asian Sensation

Why not put DWIGHT on LMA and Asik on Lopez.

Lopez isn't much of a threat offensively and Asik can box him out and keep him away from rebounds.

Dwight is supposedly the best big man in the game and LMA is the Blazers best big man by far. There's a reason why we got Dwight and it sure as hell isn't to stop players like Lopez. It's time for Dwight to show his worth and shut down LMA.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Playoffs are an entirely different animal.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You play your best players:

it's time for TT