1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik formally asks for trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

This. It's annoying that the media somehow got ahold of this information, and probably spun it to where it makes Asik look like a whiner.

Asik knows he's good enough to start on a team. This is similar to the situation with Alex Smith of the 49ers. Didn't lose your starter position because you were bad, as Alex Smith is solid. You lost it because someone better came along, which is so unfortunate.

2. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

The thing is, that Asik earns about 8 mio/year.
    Do we get any real good player for that amount of money? Of course not. Carl Landry just signed for 7 mio/year, **** Zaza Pachulia gets almost 6 mio/year!
    Asik is so much better than both of them.
    So I totally agree with Morey when he says that we might be better off to have two great centers in combination with young Pfs like Jones and DMo instead of just having Dwight (and his back..) and a good PF - but no backups!
    Let's try this! There won't be any minute in the game when we do not have a great defender, shotblocker and rebounder on the court!!!!

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Why is Asik a bad guy for wanting to play heavy minutes? I'm sure part of the reason he came to Houston is to be a starter. If you were demoted from a position you really liked at your job and given one you didn't like I am sure that you would look for new employment. Asik has been the backup on a competing team and doesn't want to go back to that.

4. thisiscaketown

Except that if the Rockets wait too long, these buyers might want to shortchange them with the knowledge that the twin tower experiment didn't work.

5. lowlife

lowlife Member

It's understandable. Omer played 2 years from bench, after a successful season as a starter, ofcourse he wants to be a starter again. He deserves it.

If there is a way to play Howard as PF for 10-15 minutes, you can keep Asik too. Other than that, i see no reason to stick with him.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even if this report is true, I think once McHale talks to him it'll be alright. After all, McHale was in the "super bench player" role for 9 years of his career and he's a HOFer now.

1 person likes this.
  7. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I don't blame him for asking for a trade, but its not cool of him to do it publicly. That lowers his value because it forces the Rockets hand.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

Injuries happen, even to Superman. Stick around, Big O!

9. haydenfisher342

I have a perfect rotation in my head for Asik and Howard to get 32-38 min a game each. Not only that but an offensive set made for both players when they are on the court together and when they are seperated

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

How did he do it publicly?

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Not true.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Contrary to what you read re: Asik requesting trade - that is not the case. Could he be dealt? Sure? Would he welcome? Prob? But not asking</p>&mdash; David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidNunoABC13/statuses/353969632358563840">July 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. haydenfisher342

Never hear of this dude, but he has more street cred then that of ESPN, so ill buy

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If we do have to lose Asik, would it be possible to arrange for a 3 team trade and get Hayes back? He's a rock solid (literally) backup and a great team leader and motivator.

14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This sucks so bad, the one thing i did not want to happen in the wake of Dwight Agreeing to terms with us. On the bright side, Asik value is still high, even if the reports are out that he wants to be traded, In the past few days, i think Lin has become the keeper, and Asik is the odd man out. He has earned the right to start on another team, and he is more than capable of doing that on almost any NBA roster. That being said, i hope D.Morey trades Asik for a quality 4,or preferably a quality backup 3 along with young talent or picks, because i think D.Mo ( who is up to 260lbs) is gonna be better and stronger as a stretch 4 next to DH12 next year.

No worries guys. Hopefully it happens sooner than later if we go the trade route. I hope this news is false though.

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

ESPN reaches to its new low if they lied this time.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He's legit. He's the KTRK Sports Reporter, been right in the past.

17. SPBR

SPBR Member

Waiting to see Asik defensive rebound and outlet to Dwight for basket and one.

It should happen at least once this season.

18. SuraGotMadHops

This is why I hate ESPN, they are so in the tank for the Lakers it's sickening.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?w=1d1ze&storyId=9454114&i=TOP&topslot=1&wjb=

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Let me be clear on Asik- wouldn't be surprised if traded or eventually asked Rockets to explore. It makes sense. Just hasn't</p>&mdash; David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidNunoABC13/statuses/353973955972960256">July 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

David used to be a host on 1560 The Game, then he moved over to television. He's also a member here on Clutchfans. I believe his username is Puff.