1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik formally asks for trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Jul 7, 2013.

1. deshen

deshen Member

That should not be a problem because of the limited role on the offensive end by Asik. Howard plays 35 to 40 min per game, and Asik 25 to 30 min. It is about 15 to 25 min for both on the court in the same time.

2. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Here is a basic rule of journalism: Every time you see a story that says "sources" but doesn't actually define who the sources are, then it's equivalent to a rumor heard around the water cooler. Maybe it's legit, maybe it isn't, but you can't know because all you have is the word of some guy who heard it from some guy.

I guarantee you that no legitimate reporter would be happy to put his or her name on a story that only quotes "sources" on a regular basis, because at best it makes you a mouthpiece, and at worst destroys your own credibility. You're supposed to be an objective reporter trying to inform the public, and instead you're just adding to the BS noise that's already out there.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I'm starting to feel like we're all reading into the term "asking for a trade" very differently. Some seem to think Asik might be demanding one or crying and moaning and will not play if he doesn't get one. That wasn't my impression from the short article.

It just said he asked for a trade. I don't think it means, if the Rockets do not grant him one, he will NOT play or NOT honor his contract. I think Asik plays just as hard, just like LMA, even if POR does not move him this season. They will both probably play 100%.

It is natural for Asik to be upset at being relegated into a backup role again. He had a great yr, was a top center and had starter minutes. Now he probably won't. Why wouldn't he ask for a trade? He's unhappy and thinks he could be a full starter elsewhere. If Morey says no, I don't think Asik will 'quit' on us or anything.

4. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Sad if true. If McHale really thinks this will work, maybe they can put a pitch team (Les, Morey, McHale, Dream, Yao, D12...) together to convince him to stay?

5. haydenfisher342

Thinking about this, Both could learn things from eachother

Asik can learn how to dominate offensively
    Howard can learn how to hustle and play with heart. Ive never questioned Omer, Dwight I have, but I believe Dwights going to have a breakout year and surprise everyone

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can't blame Omer if he'd prefer to play major minutes. Its not like he's the one going to the media with this. He'd rather everything be handled internally, so there's no reason to criticize him. Coming to Houston was his opportunity to contribute in a major way, and he's afraid that he'll go back to being a 15 minute off the bench player.

This could be an opportunity for Dwight Howard to reach out to Omer, acknowledge his concerns, and express an enthusiasm to work with him as a front-court partner. That's what a team leader would do.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He signed a contract and hasn't even played next to Dwight before asking for a trade. That's so stupid. Who does he think he is? Morey paid him a lot of money to play here. He was the one who saw his potential. He'd still be a backup if not for Morey.

I don't this this report is true though beaus I don't think Asik is a moron.

8. JD88

JD88 Member

I still think Sullinger would be a great fit as our 4 man.

His sophomore season at tOSU he shot 40% from deep, his per 36 minute numbers for a rookie are outstanding, he shoots a good % from the field, and the free throw line...

Why is this not happening? Lin and Omer for Rondo and Sully. Do it. Now.

9. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I agree. I also hope/think Dwight will have a great comeback yr, esp. in our system. I really do want him to run the PnR more -- he's so good at it.

As a complete random sidenote, hayden, you're becoming one of my favorite posters in the GARM lol. Not because we tend to always agree, but you are very open minded, are willing to entertain the idea of possibly being wrong at times (which we all are) and are quite reasonable in your arguments. props.

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Waiting for Woj, Feigan, or DocRocket to speak on this before I believe it.

Doc said before Omer didn't say it right after Howard decided to sign with us so we shall see

11. rj3000

rj3000 Member

On the Big Show last week Morey said he because of the drop off in defense we saw last season when Asik was out of the game it would be good to always have either he or Howard in at all times and that it would be more beneficial to the team than an upgrade to the 4 position. Maybe he meant it.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Even if he is requesting a trade it doesn't mean the Rockets will trade him.

And there is Ron from the G's commentary on it a month ago.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7996542#post7996542

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I don't blame Omer. But it be nice to see the two of them talk it over and at least try playing with each other before trading Asik.

14. haydenfisher342

if the report is true, the above statement has merit and I personally agree. Landry became great here in Houston, I dont think that would of happened anywhere else, remember Hayes? same thing. Ive said Houston, where good players become great happens. Again if the report is true, then its definitly about him continuing to perform for that big paycheck coming 2 years from now.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Unfair. Its not like he's demanding to start over Dwight. He knows what the pecking order would be, and he knows that Morey said its unlikely he'd get many minutes playing next to Dwight. He'll likely be a 20 minute player at the very most. After busting his tail for a season and being one of the most improved players in the league, he's thinking right now that his career has just taken a step backward.

Asking the team he'd rather be traded, in private, is an understandable response. Now its time for the Rockets to reach out to him and convince him that he'll still be a significant part of the team.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

There was an earlier report the Bulls are his preferred destination... Where he'd be backing up Noah and sharing minutes with Gibson.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think they simply want to get the opportunity to test out the twin towers. Asik's stock isn't going to drop from now until the first month or two of the season. If it doesn't work, then you trade him. There won't be a shortage of buyers.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Asik proved he was a starting quality center, and one of the very best defensive and rebounding 5's in the league. Heck, he ought to be upset. Doesn't mean he'll be moved, though.

19. haydenfisher342

Well, gee golly thanks gosh.....No for real thanks much appreciated. I do tend to go on opposite sides of the spectrum, but its healthy for me and I believe its good for the website. I like to see all light of things in life, and in basketball. This website lets us become like tiny GM's or Agents, its fun. Again thanks

20. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

The thing is, that Asik earns about 8 mio/year.
    Do we get any real good player for that amount of money? Of course not. Carl Landry just signed for 7 mio/year, **** Zaza Pachulia gets almost 6 mio/year!
    Asik is so much better than both of them.
    So I totally agree with Morey when he says that we might be better off to have to great center in combination with young Pfs like Jones and DMo instead of just having Dwight (and his back..) and a good PF but no backups!
    Let's try this! There won't be any minute in the game when we do not have a great defender, shotblocker and rebounder on the court!!!!