1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik fined for flopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More flopping news: NBA fined Rockets C Omer Asik $5,000 for his second flopping violation. Video: <a href="http://t.co/9u0b65ZS8N" title="http://on.nba.com/YH36J4">on.nba.com/YH36J4</a></p>&mdash; Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffZillgitt/status/317385340430217218">March 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

OMG. I totally agree. Great example of a well executed flop. Specially in a close game where a single call can make a huge difference. I'm sure Asik will happily pay knowing his flop earned his team a very valuable possession.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

i agree with the fine

flopping tarnishes the game

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

exaggerated for sure but it is still a foul. duncan did push him but not that hard. i remember one play asik got whislted by touching duncan's back under the rim when duncan did a layup.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Saw this coming.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Asik gets hacked every time he touches the ball or grabs a rebound. He gets pushed all over the court and they don't call it. On the other side he puts his hand on someone's back and that person stumbles forward = foul. If Harden, Brooks or Lin does this it's not a fine because it was a foul. Because Asik is big and it looks funny when you see him embellish a call he gets fined. If he doesn't exaggerate calls they don't call anything for him.

7. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Good call. But did the league fine CP3 yet?

8. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Harden does that every possession.

9. Ultimate6thMan

I totally disagree. He was pushed with both hands and had he not shown it to the refs, they probably don't call it.

It should be a players perogative to expressively show when they are fouled. A flop should be when there is no foul or contact on the play, as in when Chris Paul tried to draw that foul on Cousins.

This type of so-called "flop" can be called in EVERY single game in the NBA.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I've read about it, but I don't understand the flopping rule.

In my mind, flopping is exaggeration to get a call that otherwise doesn't exist. In other words, you flop to try and entice the ref to make a call where there isn't one.

I don't see how this satisfies that. This was an offensive foul by Duncan. Asik exaggerated the play, but to the extent that either got the ref to blow the whistle, or confirmed his call, who cares.

If Asik just runs into Duncan, who is maybe holding an elbow out coincidentally, and Asik flops, and draws a call he shouldn't have, that's flopping.

Is the NBA saying the play in question wasn't an offensive foul?

EDIT: See post above mine. I agree entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.