1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik and Howard to start next game (Updated w/ Blog Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I disagree with this.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cool name for the tandem, but lightning usually conveys speed. I don't think that works so well for Asik. You got Dwight nailed though, good job.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So now Dwight can't create for his ownself.

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Playing small ball is a double edged sword. How will team defend against Asik and Dwight in the paint? One of them can surely 'muscle' their way under the basket against small PF. I still have nightmares thinking about Delfino's last game against Gasol and Delfino fouling Okafor.

5. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Trainwreck in 5,4,3,2.....

6. verysimplejason

I have "HIGH" hopes on this twin tower experiment. Please make it work. I'm very much excited at this one. Hopefully, Asik did practice his mid-range jumpers.

7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

that's why this IS the best game to try it out. Rockets know their chances against teams with two bigs in the paint. They don't know how it'll work against teams with stretch fours like Dallas.

The sooner the coaching staff finds out what will work, the better. That way the lineup can be consistent and everyone will know their roles by the time the season starts.

8. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Asik, please stay. You will win championship if you stay.

1 person likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think it can work, but only if Asik buys in and a accepts his role.

10. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Omer Asik is Highly Skilled and Important to the Success of the Rockets. Even with limited full practices, I would not be surprised to see a Stellar Production from him tomorrow and or in the remaining preseason games.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/10/omer-asik-goes-through-full-practice/

#110 djperm, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Let the devastation begin. Asik shredz.

12. Exel

Exel Member

Finally, we get to see how they mesh together and more importantly, who has he better reverse lay up.

13. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Beat the Heat!
    Beat the Heat!
    Beat the Heat!

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

If they put Parsons on Dirk....

Be prepared for post ups.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I figure the Lin-Beverley decision will end up not mattering much. It looks like each of them is gonna end up playing 30 mpg or so and they are about the same level of players anyway. There also isn't much of a question whether they can play together. In the end, I think the starting PG decision will not change the W-L record by much.

The Asik-Howard thing, and the PF spot in general, can really swing the team's record, and final playoff seeding, by a significant number of games. Also, we really don't know whether these two can play together effectively.

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Right. It goes both ways. Pound it inside. Run PnR. Get Dirk in foul trouble.

18. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Seems like the Lin/Bev thing won't swing the team's record with regard to meshing with the other starters; not entirely sure about the impact on bench play.

If Asik/Howard works, that fixes the PF problem for 10-15 of 48 minutes. Nice, but it still leaves lots of minutes to fill.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. 15 extra minutes of Asik vs. a not very good PF (i.e. replacement level player) could mean as many as 4-5 extra wins over the course of a season.

2. Also, whether Asik can play 25-30 mpg as opposed to 13-15 mpg could make the difference in whether the team keeps him or trades him for a PF. Obviously there are such trades that make sense, but dealing Asik for most PFs would mean that the team would be missing the rim protection that Asik brings for these 13-15 minutes when Dwight sits (or having to rest Dwight less).

3. I don't think starting Lin vs. Beverley would make much of a difference in bench performance. Unlike the preseason games, the regular season games will not see the starters only log in 20 or so mpg or the Rockets going with a lineup that has 4-5 bench players (and maybe a few non-rotation players) on the floor at the same time for an extended period. They can, and are going to, stagger the minutes of their guys to make sure there are enough scoring threats out there no matter who starts.

20. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

1) If everything works perfectly with Asik/Howard, that is reasonable. The more likely result is that it has its pluses and minuses, though that still may be better than our current PF crop.

2) Yes, and that is a big deal. That 13-15 minutes of rim protection could easily make a 4-5 game difference, and give the starters more rest rather than having to make up for ground lost by the bench.

3) I think Lin/Bev could make a difference for the bench, but one thing I would not be suprised by is if they are both playing when Harden is out. That would rather short-circuit the whole discussion.