1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik and Howard to start next game (Updated w/ Blog Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

1. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I didn't realize Asik was that much taller than Howard. They both seem happy about the move, though.

2. eastbay_ak

eastbay_ak Member

Finally we get to see Asik play. Though every time I see him on the sidelines he looks pouty as hell.

3. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

they can hit all the three's they want and miss. We got the best re-bounders. It's not a shot. it's a pass using the back board lol

4. SPBR

SPBR Member

I am optimistic about the pairing. Last year, we had good games starting Smith at PF. I remember commenting how at one point we won every game where Smith scored the first 2 points of the game. Howard is much better than Smith offensively. It can't be worse than that right?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Frankly, I don't understand all the comments I've read about Omer "sulking" or Omer "pouting," now that he's back. The last game, when he was on the sidelines, I saw smiles, I saw grins. Heck, I saw what I would describe as a relatively happy and well adjusted human being. You know, the kind of guy Carl would have over for conversation and one of his famous "chili-out-of-a-can, and don't care which brand" hot dog dinners, lubricated with (god help the poor soul who drinks it) Pearl Beer. Carl is verbose, as we all know, but simply has no taste. Seriously... he can't taste a damn thing.

Where's this freaked out Omer Asik I keep hearing about?

1 person likes this.
  6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Thunder and lightning makes for a stormy time for the rest of the league.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

starting asik and dwight is too good not to use. gotta see how it works out on the court, not just on paper. can't wait to see them side by side indimidating the opposing slashers

"you gonna score on who? nah not us, maybe next game tho"

8. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

This is the type of lineup that you need plenty of shooters to put around these two and the most important thing is you need two playmakers. Harden and Lin because these two in Asik and Dwight need someone to create a shot for them . The burden of getting these two going remains with Harden and Lin because they cant create a shot or nail anything even in a french w**** house.

The post entery passes need to be percise as well as that is the only way they can get a viable shot.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

It's good to test it while we're in preseason, although I don't know that DAL's defense is the best measure against it. For Asik's sake, let's do it.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dirk is more of an outside threat than Marion, lol

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Hopefully the offensive rebounding improvement will mitigate some of the lower % shots our perimeter players will be taking.

12. jocar

jocar Member

Wonder twin towers, activate!

[​IMG]

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm all for this. You're 5 best players have to play the majority of the mins and Asik is definitely amongst the Rox 5 best players

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think they will go all out and play Dirk 35+ minutes after sitting him against the Bobcats last game.

Unless Carlisle wants a win against us so bad. Can't imagine that happening.

I caught the box score.... they have Bernard James, Dejuan Blair and Fab Melo as backup. Fun times indeed.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really want this to work. I would see Dwight at the 4 and Asik at the 5. Asik is taller, Dwight is more mobile and more explosive.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I want to see Asik guarding Dirk too. It's the preseason, nothing to lose.

17. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

We'd be negligent not to try it, PF is weak and D-Mo is not a shooter as much as we give him the license to shoot, so he is most effective in the post. May as well have asik's elite D on the floor

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

I'd be disappointed if they put Parsons on Dirk most of the time. I want them to rotate Asik and Dwight on Dirk to see how it goes. This is preseason. Experiment time.

I have a lot of confidence that both of them are quick enough to guard most stretch 4s, including Dirk. The only time it won't work is when the other team plays small ball.

19. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Asik can act in one of two ways.. get his check and be a backup until his trade comes... or he can be a part of something special, potentially start with Howard and play 30+ a night across 2 positions being a great piece for us - like an expanded role to what he had with the bulls.

I'll give Omer that chance and the benefit of the doubt as he is a model pro

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Give it a shot -- what do we have to lose? I don't think it will work for all teams, but we should learn a lot by trying it.