1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik and Howard to start next game (Updated w/ Blog Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Greg Smith and Asik played together, did any of them shoot? I know Asik took a couple jumpers (that looked surprisingly good) a couple times, but I don't remember it being a problem having 2 post players that couldn't shoot on the floor at the same time.

2. MONON

MONON Member

We're working our way to the Grizz game.

3. MONON

MONON Member

OOPs! Just checked the schedule. We're @SA on Fri & @Grizz on Sat. Howard & Asik will probably start our last 3 preseason games. We'll soon find out what we have with those 2 together.

4. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

McHale should've held off on this lineup until the Spurs. Parsons shut Derp No-brick-ski down last time!

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

From what I remember of Asik he has no problem with mobility. I think he will do a good job of guarding Dirk.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Just leave Marion open ha. Make him beat you. Parsons on dirk, blender in the paint.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Probably not the best game to go big. It's usually putting a smaller 6-8, 6-9 guy on Dirk that gives him trouble.

8. Little General

I hope we'll get like 20+ offensive rebounds and like 10+ blocks

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Funny thing is Dallas can't defend the big line up at all. Asik might have a huge game.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I'm willing to bet the only reason Coach is even attempting this is because he truly believes one of either asik or Dwight has the fleetness of foot to keep up with dirk.

11. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

this will be very interesting, iz all i can say

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This.

13. bmd

bmd Member

Not really. He's HAS to test it out.

It would be stupid to not even attempt to use them both at the same time. It might not work out, but you have to do your due diligence and at least try it.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Asik is one of the better post defenders in the league, but guarding stretch 4s is a completely different story.

Howard is more likely to be guarding the 4 in this case in my opinion.

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

But how many mpg was this lineup utilized? And is it sustainable for 30+ mpg?

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I hope it works. But if neither have even a 20% jumpshot it can't work. And they'd fight over rebounds. Is trading for Lamarcus Aldridge still a remote possibility?

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

It won't be 30mpg +;

1) Asik still needs to play when Dwight's out of the game
    2) Asik can't even play more than 30mpg, last year he was gassed at 30mpg.

Together they can play 10-15mpg, and alone, Asik can play 10-12mpg with Dwight resting. Just so Asik can get 20-30mpg PT as he's one of our best players and certainly one of our most impactful players.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dirk may go off, but Dalembert will be useless on offense and will get destroyed trying to defend our frontcourt.

The fact that dah bear is the only NBA caliber center on the Mavs roster is hilarious. This is a guy who only gives you 10-15 quality minutes per game, and not only is he their starter, they don't have anybody to back him up.

19. tefunk

tefunk Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/10/rockets-to-go-big-against-mavs-start-omer-asik-with-dwight-howard/

“They’re working their way through stuff. They both have the same instincts to protect the rim and protect the paint. When one is down there the other is going to have to pick up a trailing shooter. There’s some little things they’re working on.”

Howard said he had matched up with fours early in his career, but will have to adjust to the change in assignments. Asik refused to comment.

20. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Howard is agile enough that defense wouldn't be a problem. But both on offense? Lol.