1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian Games final: China vs S. Korea 10/14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Oct 13, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

My goodness, this thread has turned from how Yao Ming did in the game, to a Korea is "dirty" thread...

Maybe Korea got some beneficial calls in the WC, but does that explain why China got sliced and diced in the WC? No...

Haters will always hate.

:rolleyes:

2. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

how come bateer played so little? he did great for China in the earlier games, didn't he? that wang fei guy is probably going to hang himself tomorrow. (oh wait, he's already blaming his players... LOL...) He really deserves to be shot.

yeah. i've seen allegations for biased korean officiating during these asian games in the taiwanese press too. particularly in this taichi martial arts competition. :eek:

i dunno about the World Cup though. the allegations were mostly from bitter European losers who automatically assumed that Third World refs were in the pockets of korean football officials... i watched those games, and the koreans just flat out outplayed them most of the time, even though most european teams were INFINITELY more skilled.

3. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

4. windandsea

5. windandsea

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wouldn't put past the Koreans. These were the same guys that stole the gold medal from Roy Jones Jr. during the olympics even though he knocked down the Korean opponent twice during the fight. Those guys are just corrupt!!!!

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I didn't watch the World Cup games so I can't comment on the officiating (although I've heard many many people in NY complain that the Korean Team got a lot of calls go their way).

However I can say that without a doubt, Korean based corporations are second only to Houston based ones when it comes to cooking their books :D

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Let's back to the subject why China lost the game. One thing I haven't seen other posters mentioned is their exterior defense. It sucked. The Koreans obviously couldn't score under the basket with Ming patroling the paint. But it was their outside shots which won the game. There were just too many wide-open shots. It just seemed to me not everyone on the Chinese team was playing defense, especially around the perimeter.

9. toughguy

toughguy Member

Korea overcame a 10-point deficit in the final minute. That's almost unheard of in a professional basketball competition. The only time I remembered was when Reggie Miller scored 10 points in 18 seconds to beat the Knicks in the final minute.

10. coke

coke Member

I think their pg sucks.allowing the gold medal to slip away

11. teknokid

teknokid Member

Would you like to explain Antone Ono incident then? Korean officials, the korean boxer, and the media already have appoligized about the incident. They all agreed and publicized that they have made one of the greatest mistake of all time. How can you not see that US is getting away with lots lots of stuffs when it comes to sports? It is not just korea that gets homefield advantage. Throughout the history of sports, it is a fact that home country gets advantages over others.

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I just got back in town and read this entire thread. Thanks to all for the information, but after watching China at the WBCs it's not hard to imagine how this game went. I don't know if anyone in China is more qualified to coach the NT more than Wang Fei, but I'd just say I'd try anyone else. His emphasis on guard play despite Yao and Mengke's presence just suggests there is a Chinese NT agenda which winning takes a backseat to how they want to win. Maybe the guardplay is symbolic somehow and emphasizes "we are a team, no one can dominate". I don't have a clue. But the CBA has been exposed more than enough to international ball to see and understand how other coutntries play - and they clearly are taking their own path. As a basketball fan I am used to blaming the coach for the clulessness I saw from Wang Fei at the WBCs. But after reading this thread I'm thinking Wang Fei has been told what to do and has no chance of success accomplishing it. Mengke gets 5 minutes? Yao doesn't take 20 shots? No one in the international game is that ignorant about basketball.
    If it's true Wang Zhi Zhi was the best player in China 2 years ago it is so easy to see why he stayed in the U.S. to prepare for the WBCs and the upcoming NBA season. And he wanted to play at the WBCs. But if he and Wang Fei are the sacrificial goats for both the WBCs and the Asian games for Chinese basketball fans, then it will probably work out pretty well for the CBA.
    But for Yao Ming, who by all accounts is an intelligent young man, the loss to Korea will be a mind numbing lesson as a basketball player. Ironically he might feel he's here in the NBA to represent China at a time where Chinese basketball just took two recent steps downward.
    The Asian games are over. It's great news for a Rockets fan. It's better news for Yao. I can't imagine how conflicted he must feel right now. I loved Steve's recent comments about how it's up to the team to help Yao, and it's his job to make sure that happens. Hey, who's the best digital game player on the Rockets anyway? E. Griff.?

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

What a bunch of homers.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Way to include 50 million people under your generalization... By saying "I wouldn't put (it) past the Koreans." You are technically referring to 50 million Koreans around the world. Last I checked, I had nothing to do with the result...

:rolleyes:

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Are you Korean BTW?

16. Miggidy Markell

This reminds me of the start of Hakeems basketball career when he was in UH. They were expected to win the NCAA championship but missed out in the closing stages, even though they had a huge lead throughout the game. Yao will have a few years unsuccesful of winning a championship until he reaches his prime, and IMO we can all expect greatness of him. Also his losing now will most likely work to our advantage as it will make him more hungry to go to the next level.

17. Timing

Timing Member

What game was that?

18. codell

I think hes talking about the NC State game ..............

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Yes...

Usually, I'm not uptight about small racial things, but I'm just annoyed about how this thread turned into a Korea-bashing thread.

Bash Korea in a seperate thread, if you feel so compelled to. Just don't do it in a thread involving Ming.

20. codell

I asked because my wife's step mom is Korean. Talking to her, she really helped me reconsider some of the stereotypes that I had about her ethnicity.