1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asante Samuel back on the trade market

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 23, 2011.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

any other person except Brooks Reed and you may have a point

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd try and make it a 2 + 4 or a 2 + future 3...but I'd love that trade.

Rick did just pay Joseph and Manning. And Joseph is better than Cromartie. Dunta shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's never fully recovered his level of play pre-injury. Falcons overpaid him by a good margin.

3rd rounders maybe...but I get the sense you haven't watch Reed much this preseason. If it were a fair and open competition, he would have beaten the pants off of Mario for the WOLB slot. Even if you remove Williams' struggles, Reed is begging the staff to rethink Mario at linebacker and put him back on the line with Smith and Watt.

Also, Ryans was a second rounder. We have to weigh exchanging a pick (representing a likely 4-5 year starter) or two for a guy at the wrong side of his peak.

But sometimes that's what you've got to do to get over the hump. Windows in pro leagues are short.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

my god...just get asante for picks if we can. this is as good of a spot to go with a big trade as we are gonna get.

4. RocketMania1991

I think about 3-4 weeks in were gonna be wishing for Asante.

I like the Joseph signing but him+Manning and our rookies aren't going to make this defense stellar.

I think a combo of Asante/Joseph would be one of the best tandems at the CB position in the league.

Not to mention Asante isn't a stranger to playoff experience, something this team desperately needs.

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

If you guys haven't heard, we are right at the salary cap limit, we must give back more salary than receive and Asante makes like 12 mil, this trade will not happen.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It would work if you restructure and extend Mario's contract. For whatever reason Texans management hasn't taken that step yet.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I really really wish the Texans could add this guy.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Is there any place like shamsports or hoopshype for the NBA that shows NFL salaries for each team?

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So you are saying the Texans would not re-sign Samuel if the Texans did trade Williams for Samuel? I do not like the trade. Samuel never played for Nick Saban, I just do not think he is ready. That is considering the above mentioned trade is the only way to get Samuel, and those were the initial rumors.

Do you think if Danta Robinson were with the Texans in the 2010 season they would have had a better record? Like say maybe 3 or 4 wins? I at least like to think the other weaker parts of the Texans secondary would not have been as noticeable, and if that were the case the Texans would have a gapping hole at FS this season, too. Paying Dunta to play for the Texans would have allowed the Texans to go into FA not spending a gazilion dollars on the secondary, perhaps making their decission to cut Okoye easier by bringing in a better vet.

Maybe instead we pick up Asomougah because he thinks the secondary and defensive line, must state I would rather have Okoye than the rookie Watts, and the rest of the defense looks good. Championship quality good.

10. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I need a translator for that post.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

with Asante and Joseph and Manning, the defensive line, can go and get sacks without worrying a lot of not getting there.

I would give a 2nd, a 3rd in 2012, and another 3rd in 2013, and maybe adding Slaton.

the texans have to win now.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I am 99% sure we don't have the cap space to take on his salary for just picks, even with the Eagles absorbing the accelerated cap hit. Have to clear room somehow. Easiest way is trying to swap Slaton, Mario, or someone else

He doesn't need to be resigned - he will have two additional years remaining. Mario is in his final year.

Your love affair with Dunta (or is Danta?) baffles me. At best it would have been 1 or 2 wins, worsening our draft position, and his hideous contract would have been an anchor around our necks. Dunta has never been the same since his injury. The Hall of Fail defense was about so much more than Dunta leaving.

Joseph is far better than Dunta and received a slightly cheaper contract. We came out much better for it. Improving the safety position was cream on the top, and we didn't overpay for Manning either.

1) It's Watt, not Watts
    2) Watt is ten times the lineman Okoye ever was

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wish you had made this statement at the beginning of your post so I would have known to ignore the rest.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Seriously though, you think Dunta "Pay Me Rick" Robinson would have made this team 3-4 games better last year??? And you want Amobi "Sack of Potatoes" Okoye over J.J. Watt??? So tell me something.....how long do you usually have to wait whenever you call into SR610??

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im completely shocked at the lack of respect for Asante...the guy is a complete stud.

A combo of Asante and Joseph would be tops in the league. Our secondary would go from being the worst in the NFL to being among the very best, if not the best.

Im all for keeping Mario, but at the end of the day, he's an OLB in a 3-4. Quite replaceable.

If there is a trade possibility for picks, count me in. The Texans defense would be top 10, easy.

And LOL at Okoye being better than Watt...

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is all this Asante to Texans talk just speculation on this board is there any actual substance to it?

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Complete speculation, as far as I know.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just blind hope...

Samuel with another interception tonight.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Just a dream, having Asante would make the texans defense to be in the top 10.

and yeah Im glad that they didnt re-sign Dunta, he is overpaid now in Atlanta.