1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asante Samuel back on the trade market

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You know what I *might* consider... Cushing. Let's not forget - if he tests + again, he's gone for the year. If they could turn him - a total unknown at this point - into Samuel and a top pick............ I'm not sayin' I'd do it. But I'd think about it.......

I think Samuel ranks as a top "get." You don't so anything stupid but... you need to throw your hat into that ring.

2. Hey Now!

BTW, can you imagine them trading Mario Williams? The town would explode from call-in, internet usage overload. Man, would that be HUGE.........

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The Eagles view no player as an integral part of their team. That's the way they work, they've never been afraid to let a player go no matter how good that player may be.

He's not a liability when he can just be cut anyway. Either through trade or cut, the Eagles will still face some sort of cap hit.

The Eagles normally don't do that, they just let their vets walk but considering he has 2 more years after this one on his contract, that's probably the reason they're considering it.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not likely to make the team? Have you been hit on the head recently, or are you just trolling?

Moss' attitude problems aside (which never surfaced in New England until his contract was up), he had a banner year in 2009 before being dumped when the Patriots obviously recognized he wasn't going to be worth the money he was going to ask to be resigned for. They got something for him while they could, good move. Seems like the Eagles are doing the same thing here with Samuel. He's not going to be worth the money he's due next year and certainly not the year after, his value is still high, so get something while you can before he gets expensive and his skills decline.

Haynesworth and Johnson are not examples of aging players with bad contracts that New England has flipped. Those guys are classic "buy low" examples. What I'm talking about would be guys like Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, etc. Veterans that were no longer worth what their market value commanded, and every team that got them got duped in the long run.

He is good, but not worth that asking price. We are in win-now mode, but I'm not going to sell off Mario because of that. Like I said, I'm open to trading for him, but they have to come off that asking price some. If he agrees to "restructure" his contract, that just sweetens the deal. But hands off of Mario, dammit.

#44 DonnyMost, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

This is the main point I'm trying to drive home. The Eagles are asking way too much, and eventually will be forced to deal with the ramifications of having so much cap room tied up in this one position. It seems like it would be silly to give up the farm for a DB right now when we could wait til the end of the year and get one much cheaper once we have more negotiating leverage.

6. Lil Pun

Or the Eagles could renegotiate his contract as well, of course that relies on him being willing which it doesn't seem like he would be. I guess we will see.....

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

"cool story" because you are a stat guy???... Stats dont tell the story of this particular DB.... He's good at what he does which is jump routes....... How long before those jumped routes become double moves??... Philly dont want so why should we ?.... He's not a tackling machine , doesnt play lockdown man coverage, nor does he blitz....Why exactly do we want him for that asking price???....since you're his agent/publicist/shrine initiator

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He gives up fewer yards per completion than Aso. So, do you believe this about Aso? "terrible cover corner.... He excels in Zone coverage and jumping routes...He may make a few int's but he will give up big plays too....It cancels itself out....Don't Want Him"

Philly does want him. People completely misunderstand why teams trade players, shop players, etc. Right now they have a valuable asset. They have 3 really good players at one position. They are willing to move one if they can get great value for him. Otherwise, they will keep him and start him.

What does he do? Intercepts a higher percentage than any other CB in the NFL on balls thrown to him (including Reevis and Aso), allows a lower QB rating against him than Aso or Reevis, allows fewer yards per completion against him than Aso or Reevis...

Yeah, why would anybody want a guy like THAT?

LOL

9. Lil Pun

This is pretty much true. The exact same scenario happened just a few weeks ago when they had 2 starting caliber quarterbacks on their roster. Kolb is even more unproven than Samuel yet people on this board were acting like he's the second coming of Montana. Samuel though is old, overrated or whatever else you can call him and not worth it. I guess his worth is debatable but so are other things.....

You know what is actually overrated, draft picks. Sure you may get a straight stud in the first round but more than likely you're not going to. I'd rather trade a first/second/third round pick for a player I know is proven and probably has several more years in him than get one who comes in and does absolutely nothing.

10. Hey Now!

Neither.

What's his contract - $18MM the next two years? That's about the same cost as Joseph; it's not egregiously outrageous. If he's too expensive for the Eagles, it's because they've tied-up money in Asomugha and DCR (+ Babin, Jenkins, etc.), not necessarily because they think he's their 3rd best CB. The Eagles are cutthroat when it comes to money; it doesn't reflect their opinion of him at all.

Vrabel? He was a throw-in in the Cassel deal; it cost them a 2. Meanwhile, Seymour went to a Pro Bowl his first year in Oakland, anchored the 11th-best defense in football last year (27th the year before he came) and, FWIW, was named one of the 100-best players in football. TAnd he's just 32. You could argue a 1 was too much, but... he's been pretty doggone good.

And that is precisely the kind of impact Samuel could have here. You don't become great by being passive. I can guarantee you Samuel will have a greater impact on our making the playoffs this year than next year's #1 pick will, what with him still being in college and all.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We'll trade Terrell Pryor for him :grin:

Hell, throw in some Richard Pryor DVDs on the top no less.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

One other thing to note when considering trading for Asante; draft picks may be worth more marketwise now that we have a rookie payscale. Not sure how the scale exactly affects 1st/2nd rounders, but it might make the picks more desirable.

13. Lil Pun

That was something I was going to mention as well. You used to hear about teams shopping a 1, 2 or 3 pick all the time but nobody would bite because they didn't want to pay a rookie $40-50 million guaranteed and have it blow up in their face.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It effects the very top of the draft, but late first rounders and back have always been fairly cheap.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Got to seriously consider this. The Texans star players are all in their primes, the offense looks amazing, Wade can unload every blitz package under the sun with JJ and Samuel back there.

In the Not For Long league you have to strike while the iron is hot.

A two and a three next year and give them Slaton.

16. MystikArkitect

If the Texans somehow traded Mario Williams to the Eagles, he would go from being "Underachieving Pass Rusher Having Tough Time Adjusting to New Position" to "Eagles Trade For Superstar Defensive End, Greatest Offseason in NFL History Continues".

1 person likes this.
  17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The question is, would Rick pay him? Survey (and history) says no. He had a chance to get Cromartie last year (supposedly for a 3rd round pick). He had a chance to front load Dunta Robinson's contract last year (an uncapped year).

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Are you asking this about Asante, or Mario?

Asante already has a contract, and despite what people keep saying, he's not just going to bend over and accept a different deal. Why would we trade for a guy that we're inevitably going to end up in a holdout/dispute with? (or god forbid, have to cut/waive) If the Texans think they can accommodate his contract in 2012 and 2013 (without losing anybody important), then they should explore this trade.

I believe a deal will be reached with Mario, and if not, there's always the franchise tag (i.e. put it off til next year).

19. Hey Now!

They just spent a gajillion dollars on two defensive backs not six weeks ago - which "history" are you using?

The other thing I like about landing Samuel is the message it sends - to players, fans: We're all in. They hinted at it this offseason with Phillips, Joseph and Manning - all solid pick-ups. But Samuel, coming three weeks into training camp, would really drive it home.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I wouldn't give them Mario, but I wouldn't hesitate on throwing in some picks. Simply, because it would increase our chances of seeing this.[​IMG]
    Seriously, though, think about who'd we pick in 2nd round this year, Brandon Harris and Brooks Reed? Granted, they will both be solid players eventually, two second round picks is not as severe a hit as people make it out to be. To summarize, yes, I'm all for moving some picks around to acquire a star corner, who'll still be a top 7 - 8 corner in the final year of his contract.