1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My youngest is a college freshman and really missed the physical accessibility/proximity of profs and struggled with the online learning.

At least I did get a sizable refund on room & board.

Nook, jiggyfly, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My younger daughter also does better in a classroom setting. Unfortunately, she lives in an apartment so no reduced cost of schooling...

Rashmon and RayRay10 like this.
  3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

when an actual existence threatening disease comes along everyone is going to scoff and ignore guidelines again and kill us all.

#663 fallenphoenix, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My point gaiz is that a classroom setting can't be a classroom setting until we have a vaccine. Humans use vision a lot in understanding spoken language. To cover the speaker's mouth is going to cause huge communication and connection problems, even in person, especially with mandatory distancing. I love to walk around my classrooms / lectures halls / labs, and I can't imagine staying six feet away from all people at all times while trying to teach. How do I look at a physics problem a student is working on? "Um, can you write that much larger and then hold it up over your head for me to see?"

Nook, RayRay10, DVauthrin and 3 others like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the real lockdown debate will be proven by what happens when Ireland begins to gradually reopen. They have proven so far that their lockdown has worked. What will happen later as restaurants, barber shops, and pubs reopen, as well as flights from other countries?

Screenshot_20200610-170506.png

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Not looking good today.
    Screenshot_20200610-201024.png

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am a co-teacher so most of my teaching is one on one.

I will be wearing a mask.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Even if I wanted to humor you guys and look only at Texas, I notice none of you are showing the death trend. It looks like daily deaths peaked in late April. My guess is case counts peaked in early april or even late March, and simply went unreported. This thing likely infected way more people than we ever thought, but it simply isn’t that lethal. Roughly half the deaths in the US are from nursing homes.

By the way I’m posting this from a hotel on vacation! Hope you’re enjoying your sheltering in place!

9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Nobody enjoys sheltering in place. For me, I'd rather be on vacation too. I chose not to for one simple reason. I'm not going to risk catching the virus and passing it on to family members who are more at risk than me of becoming seriously ill or even dying. I could never forgive myself if that happened,

It's the back to usual no worries needed people like you who are passing the virus around, and the reason I worry that this won't go away anytime soon. A vaccine is my only hope right now, and the wait for that is going to be unbearable. Ugh.

#669 deb4rockets, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The week before Spring Break, a student comes up to me after class and asks me if it's okay if she misses the next one in a couple of days as she feels sick, then coughs two feet in front of me while barely holding her hand in front of her face. I don't think we will all follow the rules well, but any efforts to improve hygiene and sanitation are good.

11. NewRoxFan

Texas experiences third consecutive day of record coronavirus hospitalizations
    https://thehill.com/homenews/corona...s-third-consecutive-day-of-record-coronavirus

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Number of cases risen in houston is 1.26% or 257 cases. Thats out of 4 million people. That really isnt a lot. Sounds like the media is getting people here again.

13. bigtexxx

indeed. You’ve also got folks like NewRox, Ziggy, deb4 and others that are so emotionally invested that they’ll continue to try to defend their positions, no matter what evidence is presented to them.

14. NewRoxFan

[​IMG]
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/co...navirus-updates-What-you-need-to-15332554.php

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

Here’s a great learning moment for NewRox. If he were to actually dig a bit deeper, he would find that almost 600 of yesterday’s cases were from the prison complex in Jefferson county. They had built up over time and were just now being reported. Additionally, prisoners tend to skew younger and more physically fit than society, so these cases will result in very few deaths. Likely mild or even no symptoms.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

From the bigtexx unread bin...

The number of Texans in hospitals hit record highs three days in a row
    Dallas Morning News

The number of people in Texas hospitals with COVID-19 hit an all-time high for the third straight day, raising alarms for public health experts who warn that a new surge of the virus could be coming. As of Wednesday, 2,153 people are in the hospital with the disease. More than 79,000 Texans have tested positive for COVID-19 since the state began tracking infections in March. Almost 1,900 have died.

Dallas County reports record COVID-19 cases; hospitalization spike concerns officials
    Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Dallas County reported a new single-day high of 300 coronavirus cases, and three more deaths on Wednesday. It’s the fifth time in the past week the county has reported a new record as COVID-19 cases continue to spike. The county has reported 200 or more cases every day for the past two weeks. Dallas County has confirmed a total of 12,945 COVID-19 cases, including 274 deaths.

COVID-19 cases spike in San Antonio; 180 in one day
    KABB - San Antonio TV

Bexar County recorded its second-largest one-day spike of COVID-19 with 180 new cases on Tuesday. In all, more than 3,500 have tested positive for the virus and the death toll stands at 80. Despite the spike in cases, officials with San Antonio Metro Health say the jump was not unexpected. Reasons for the spike could include reopening efforts. Another reason for those higher numbers? Increased testing efforts.

Third death in three days, 40 new COVID-19 cases announced Wednesday
    Denton Record-Chronicle

Denton County’s 36th death related to COVID-19, announced Wednesday, was a man from Dallas in his 60s. Officials also announced 40 new cases of coronavirus, increasing the countywide case total to 1,599. Another staff member at the Denton State Supported Living Center has tested positive for the virus, bringing the total number of infections among employees to 69.

Thousands sick from COVID-19 in homes for the disabled
    Associated Press

Stephanie Kirby’s voice breaks when she talks about her son, who has lived in the Denton State Supported Living Center for three years. More than 60 of the 443 residents at the state-run facility contracted the virus. Kirby hasn’t seen Petre since March, when the governor banned visitors to prevent the spread of the disease. Now, Kirby worries not only about Petre’s health, but about the emotional impact the separation might have on him.

Second U.S. Virus Wave Emerges as Cases Top 2 Million
    Yahoo News

Texas on Wednesday reported 2,504 new COVID-19 cases, the highest one-day total since the pandemic emerged. Florida this week reported 8,553 new cases -- the most of any seven-day period. California’s hospitalizations are at their highest since May 13 and have risen in nine of the past 10 days. Though the outbreaks come weeks into state reopenings, it’s not clear that they’re linked to increased economic activity.

COVID-19 testing in Texas stymied by delayed results, waning demand
    San Antonio Express-News

Delays have become common in a state still struggling to increase testing amid the pandemic. While access is expanding across much of Texas, testing itself has remained flat for weeks, stuck below the goal of 30,000 daily tests set by Gov. Greg Abbott in late April. The flattening is especially concerning because COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are surging since Memorial Day.

Outside of Texas' big cities, some are still waiting nearly a month for coronavirus test results from state-run mobile units
    Texas Tribune

Roving test sites staffed by the Texas National Guard — a state solution to increase coronavirus test access outside of major cities — have sometimes proven to be logistical nightmares or left patients waiting days or weeks to find out if they have COVID-19. Announced by Gov. Abbott in April, the mobile units have made brief stops in more than 220 counties. The sites are staffed by the National Guard and coordinated with DSHS and TDEM.

As Company Seeks Solutions, Tyson Workers Still Crowd Into Vans at Plant With COVID-19 Cases
    KXAS-TV - Dallas/Fort Worth

Tyson Foods says it is working to add more vans to the transit fleet that takes dozens of workers from Dallas to its processing plant in Sherman, a move meant to help guard against the spread of infection at the plant where hundreds have already tested positive for COVID-19. The additional vans would allow the workers to separate into smaller groups as they travel to and from work. For some, the ride is an hour long, each way.

Lax social distancing, mask habits tied to coronavirus surge, Austin officials say
    Austin American-Statesman

Austin health officials are attributing a record-breaking week of local coronavirus infections to partly reckless behavior by people who are venturing out more. Dr. Mark Escott, the Austin-Travis County health authority, urged the public Wednesday to return to such good habits as washing their hands, wearing masks and maintaining 6 feet of distance from others. Austin’s spike in cases mirrors what’s happening across the state.

Gov. Abbott lays out part of contingency plan if reopening needs to be scaled back
    KEYE-TV Austin

Phase 3 of Gov. Abbott's plan to reopen Texas is underway. This Friday restaurants will be able to expand their capacity to 75 percent -- but coronavirus cases are surging. More than 2,500 new cases were reported in Texas on Wednesday. Abbott says he is already planning contingencies to address concerns about a surge. This week the state is increasing testing in areas of Texas that may be more at risk including where protests have taken place.

Will there be another 'stay home' order? Harris Co. to put 'threat level system' in place as COVID-19 cases rise
    KHOU - Houston

Harris County on Thursday will hold a news conference to announce a new coronavirus public threat level system. Coronavirus cases and hospitalizations around Houston and the rest of Texas are on the rise, reaching record highs following the state's partial reopening in late May. Harris County and Houston's "stay home" order officially expired at midnight on Wednesday, June 10.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

bigtexxx on vacation, posting to the bulletin board that there is no COVID-19 problem anymore...

[​IMG]

Rashmon, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

HARRIS COUNTY RANKS 5TH IN US FOR COVID-19 CASE GROWTH
    Doctors say to not assume that relaxed restrictions mean the threat of the coronavirus is behind us.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/h...owth/285-2a4f8a77-0650-44ba-ac2c-6192207dbb72

I'll choose to listen to the doctors over you any day.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ugh.

RayRay10 likes this.