1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I guess what gives me strength and patience is simple. My life could be worse. I'm not struggling to survive like so many other people in this world. I can have groceries delivered to my door and like my home cooking. Its not that big of a deal not going to a bar or restaurant.

I can read a book, draw, work in my patio garden, watch TV or movies, search the internet, or pick up a phone. That's a lot more luxury than many have. Thanksgiving and Christmas will be the hardest, if this virus isn't gone. Until then we have hurricane season, which is it's its own threat to our region.

Isolating won't kill me, but taking risks very well could. I've lived with my Mom since my father died, and would sacrifice anything to keep her safe.

The hardest part for me is missing a scenic landscape, a deserted beach, and some adventure travel. I crave that. For now I will stimulate that desire by living vicariously through others through books and television.

One day this will all be over, and my adventure will begin. Until then, I can bear it. After all, for me things could be so much worse.

2. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm beginning to think he is related to Abbott. No other reasonable explanation for defending one of the two worst governors in the US. He and DeSantis have learned nothing from NYC or Italy.

The only thing they are leading is the highest number of Coronavirus cases and deaths in the US now, and in most of the world. Their record breaking stats won't give them any trophy or medals, except by maybe their Puppet Master Trump.

#2402 deb4rockets, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

At this point , I don't think there's any putting the cat back in the proverbial bag with another lockdown . So the question is , how do we proceed from here ??

A vaccine could be months away , if at all .... Herd immunity doesn't seem viable either with antibodies lasting such a short time.

Seems to me (and my Dr friend) that better treatment is the solution , at least in the near term because prevention seems so far out of reach.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

A lockdown will slow the spread, which can help hospitals from all reaching critical states, resulting in more deaths. Anything less is just fueling the fire to a point of an unimaginable inferno.

DVauthrin, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And you think the majority of the country is just going to accept that for an unknown duration ?

I can't see another lockdown happening so .... what other options are there ?

Me , I stay home unless I have to go out , I intend to homeschool my kids this year too ....

But you have a large percentage of the population who will not accept another lockdown.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm talking Texas, not states that aren't at high risk. I'm concerned about Houston right now.

DVauthrin, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. NewRoxFan

Meanwhile, hard at work on the problem...

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

It makes no dismiss a lockdown. Other states have done it and are doing well in containing Covid. What are the goals?

Public health - lockdown
    Return to live classroom learning - lockdown
    Economy - lockdown. The short sighted view is to avoid lockdown, but what's better, a month or two of lockdown and then gradual re-opening ... actually following CDC and medical guidance, meaning with masks required? Or plod on like this? I cannot imagine businesses are doing well right now.

The problem is that people want to take a shortcut. That is where good governmental leadership based on science and data is supposed to lead, not worry about doing what's unpopular.

BigTexxx can say all he wants about NY but they got their crap under control. Not perfect execution by any means, like the nursing homes, but it worked, the lockdown freaking worked in the worst concentrated area of the country. It worked in other states, like Michigan, that abided by guidance and did not open until the stuff was under control. Was it perfect? No, of course not. There are no elegant solutions with Covid. But return to the three goals and how to achieve them.

RayRay10, joshuaao, DVauthrin and 3 others like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You don't have to convince me its a good idea .... I'm doing it myself.

What you have to do is convince those who aren't being safe to do so.

There are a hell of a lot of those people and they will refuse to comply with a lockdown order. What's your solution to that ?!

No one has this crap under control , no one period. As long as there is one case there will be more because of the nature of this virus.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^It worked in China, where their yokels spit on the streets and have a poor sense of hygiene.

Yep, China is kicking out butts.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

If only there was some kind of leadership....wait Ive got it!! we could make this position called "president" and have it lead ....or we can just turn it into a reality tv game show fraud promoting beans and a daily death lottery. Maybe we can televise the wheezing on ventilators and arrest people for no reason! Murica !!

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s an idiotic decision by that federal judge, especially after the all-Republican Texas Supreme Court denied the GOP’s appeal, in a 7-1 decision. Luckily, the GOP chair said the convention will remain virtual. I was shocked they actually made the humane, correct decision, but I’m happy they did. If they change their mind and opt for an in-person convention, they can all go to hell.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Hint: check the legend

16. NewRoxFan

17. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

I think the first thing is for leadership and an significant portion of the population to take this much more seriously. But because of the lack of a national response or even following their own guidelines, I think that will only happen with more death and a new administration unfortunately. We cant even get on the same page nationally with something like contact tracing.

Hong Kong just had a slight uptick of 42 locally transmitted cases in one day and they immediately tightened up social distancing measures going as far as shutting down schools again.

Also, measures like herd immunity have been shown to be ineffective in a case like Sweden. They now have a higher death rate than we do(and we were already pretty bad at 10th, 8th if you discount the two tiny populated countries san marino and andorra) and data coming out has shown they still have not been able to achieve herd immunity despite their constant exposure to the virus.

#2417 wompwomp, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    RayRay10, deb4rockets and DVauthrin like this.
  18. DVauthrin

A lockdown wouldn’t be necessary if everyone would socially distance and wear a mask at public places with large numbers of people. Sadly, there are too many people that are still unwilling to do that and too many governors that are letting them get away with it because they either won’t mandate masks or their mask mandates do not punish the offenders enough to change their behavior.

Therefore, if everyone isn’t willing to do their part and wear a mask and socially distance in public for a few months, there really isn’t another option besides locking down once again.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. DVauthrin

I know it won’t happen, but Brian Kemp and anyone in his administration participating in this scheme to mask the severity of the COVID-19 situation in Georgia should be immediately removed from office and face criminal and civil charges because of their malfeasance.

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

If the President can do it, and not be yanked from office then anyone can.

RayRay10 likes this.