1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Texan Fans, How Do You Feel About the Titans Taking Mariota?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, May 1, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

If that was true, that's a *huge* offer. Very tempting, unless you feel Mariota is the guy, and obviously they do.

2. Airdough

Airdough Member

Then they would be the Texans, good but not great. It's a gamble on their part but the payoff is potentially much greater.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wonder if that will ever happen again. So many colleges (and now high schools) are running the read-option offense. Because of that, a lot of college QBs are piling up gaudy stats but nowhere near ready for the NFL.

This is kind of where I was going starting this thread. If those rumors were true, I am REALLY GLAD the titans didn't do it. That could have ended up becoming another Hershel Walker deal for them. And that would in turn be horrible for us.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As a Texans fan I've got better **** to do than worry about the Titans making poor draft picks. Its already unbearable enough that I have to endure playing this team twice a year every single year on and on and on. The whole keeping an eye on your division bull**** has turned Jack into a dull boy.

5. buffalobills!!!

Bills and Browns, too

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Does it matter? I care about my own team.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm happy about it because I think it's just the Titans spinning their wheels. I'm not a fan of running QB's because they almost never work out long term.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Two guys barely old enough to drink as QBs in our division?

[​IMG]

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have huge doubts about him as a pro QB so I'm ok with it. At the very least it forces them in a re-build phase because even if he does become a top tier qb I think it's going to take a few seasons.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Does Mariota even have a personality? He comes off as wooden and uncomfortable in any sort of interview setting. I don't see how a guy who is camera shy and hates the spotlight can be a successful NFL QB. The pressure and media exposure is part of the deal.

11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Dang Moe, you really don't like him! I think he's a little awkward but he will get used to the exposure and will become a decent QB. Not elite, but serviceable.

Not trying to disprove your point about being camera shy (because I mostly agree with it), but I also don't want my QB loving the camera and spotlight.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Luck is the only QB that will test us in our division.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seattle is A road map. It's not THE road map. It just happens to be the one the Texans have chosen....or maybe had chosen for them, depending on how you want to look at it.

14. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Mariota to the Titans shouldn't even move the needle in win results for them. They're trash on either side of the line of scrimmage. They've got no weapons on offense, and their defense is in shambles. He also doesn't fit Wisenhunts system, and even if they change their scheme to cater to Mariota's skill set, I'm not sure the coaching staff would be capable of making that a success.

The only team that is continually building the right way is the Jags. I don't think Bortles will be much better than Gabbert, but I do think Gus Bradley is doing it right. That defense is only going to get better with time. If they get to building an o-line and run game they'll give Bortles all the possibilities available to him to succeed.

The Titans, I feel have many more seasons as the bottom dwellers of this division. I don't think Wisenhunt is going to turn them around, nor do I think current ownership is headed in the right direction. They have holes all over.

The Colts have Luck, and with him they can get away with a lot. But they don't have an o-line or a rushing game. They have no defense what so ever. I felt like that had enough weapons offensively already, and yet they don't get a tackle or a d-lineman which were HUGE needs.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

more fresh meat for JJ

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think it's THE road map if you don't have an upper-echelon/elite QB to build around.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know of many other ways to win without a top tier QB other than the way Seattle and Baltimore won, heavily leaning on defense and the run....in fact, if the Seachickens leaned a bit harder on the run game, they'd almost certainly be the reigning SB champs right now, but instead they chose to pass and so the Pats have it.

18. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Kinda reminds me of Jake Locker. They tried turning him into a Pocket Passer, and for the most part it didn't work. Hopefully the same happens with Mariota.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Mariota is gonna be by far the best QB in this draft

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^Simplistic answer with zero foresight.

Of course it matters... Titans are a division rival.