1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

as of today who are the 10 superstars in the league?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Jan 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SK34

SK34 Member

Harden has.. he has brought the team back couple of times scoring 15+ in the 4th to get wins.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Paul
    LeBron James
    Kevin Durant
    Derrick Rose
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwight Howard

#82 J.R., Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. red_alertz

red_alertz Member

1. Kobe
    2. Durant
    3. Lebron
    4. CP3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dwight, wade, westbrook, carmelo, deron, k-love

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Except Duncan is still phenomenal defensively.

5. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Thank you....you can't deny 2.7 blks per game...Tim is still a superstar...I don't like the spurs that much but it's been proven he is a superstar..since he came in the league and today

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think it's best to separate into tiers.
    Superstars:
    LeBron James
    Kevin Durant
    Chris Paul
    Dwight Howard
    Derrick Rose (if he returns to his MVP form)

Stars:
    Russell Westbrook
    James Harden
    Carmelo Anthony
    Andrew Bynum (if he returns to his former condition)
    Kevin Love
    Tony Parker

On the Decline (in a year or two maybe)
    Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan
    Dwyane Wade
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett

On the Rise (in a year or two maybe)
    Blake Griffin
    Stephen Curry
    Kyrie Irving
    DeMarcus Cousins

1 person likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In your opinion, was Kevin Garnett a superstar last year?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Spoiler for size

I know you did not just imply that this man was not a superstar!! :mad:

9. crash5179

I guess it just comes down to how you define a superstar. To me, a superstar is someone capable of putting a team on his back and dragging them to victory. Dream was definitely a "Give me the damn ball!" kind of guy in the 4th quarter. Tim Duncan while not that demonstrative, is a guy that when the game is on the line you can drop the ball down to him and he can win the game for you. Dwight Howard, while he is the best center in the league today is not that guy and therefore I do not consider him a superstar. So far this season James Harden has been a guy that has put the team on his back and carried them to victory. Of course that is just one way I define a superstar but you get the point.

For me at least, James Harden has performed like a superstar this season and he did as well in last season play-offs against Dallas and San Antonio. Plus he clearly has the stats to back it up. I personally have him as the 7th best player in the league. Here is a comparison of James Harden to some other agreed upon superstars:

Code:
    	Lebron	Carmelo	CP3	Durrant	Rose	Kobe	The Beard
    PPG	25.9	29.3	16.8	28.6	25	29.8	26.5
    FG%	0.541	0.462	0.481	0.525	0.445	0.475	0.457
    3PT%	0.404	0.421	0.347	0.402	0.332	0.359	0.351
    SPG	1.6	1	2.6	1.5	1	1.5	1.9
    APG	8.9	2.4	9.7	4.3	7.7	4.8	5.3
    RPG	6.3	6.2	3.5	7.7	4.1	5	4.3
    TOG	2.9	2.5	2.4	3.3	3.4	3.3	3.7

*Rose's stats are from his MVP year since he has been hurt all of this season and most of last season.*

Clearly Lebron and Durant are the best of the bunch but I don't see any room for debate when people say that James Harden is in that very select group. Those are clearly superstar stats.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Either your a superstar or not a superstar.
    Everyone can't be a superstar.
    There can only be 5.

Please adjust your lists accordingly.

11. crash5179

Sorry, your requirements for superstars has been rejected by the official superstar requiement committee. However, if it makes you feel better there are exactly 5 (no more no less) members on the committee.

That is all. :p

12. catsil

catsil New Member

What's up Houston! Dallas Mavs fan here, not trying to pick a fight or trolling. I just like reading other forums to see what's up from non-Mavs rose colored glasses.

I notice my main man Dirk gets excluded from the list a bit. I understand if it's because Dirk had surgery or age, but I saw on the same list Kevin Love and Tim Duncan still get a shoutout. I think we can peacefully agree (?) that Dirk was a superstar two seasons/playoffs ago by the broad definition of carrying a team to wins, but he has fallen since so I can also understand if he's outside of Top 10. I do find it hard to believe a list up to 30 players without Dirk, while including Josh Smith, Rudy Gay and Joe Johnson. Is this for real or does this board have a slight bias against Dirk? (I'm not from Dallas, so I may not have understood some kind of Texas rivalry going on)

If you go to Mavs sites, many people still regard him as superstar when fully healthy (you can pause to snicker :) ) Are we delusional to think of Dirk as such?

13. arjun

arjun Member

I think when fully healthy he can still play superstar level when it counts...not for the full season.

And I think you may have been referring to my list of 30 with johnson smith and gay but not dirk...that is because the fella has only played like 10 games this season averaging 13 pts 5 reb. he should not be on that list.

let him get healthy then ofcourse, but if you notice I also did not list Rose or Bynum.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think james should be consider'd top ten yet, his number might say he's in or near it but lets let him finish a full season with those #'s and see what he does in the playoffs (if he gets us there) first.

15. crash5179

The problem is that we don't know what Dirk will be when fully healthy. Dirk did not have a superstar season last season at all. Now he had knee surgery for the 1st time at an advanced age.

- Kevin Love, much like Derrick Rose is very young and probably have his best ball in front of him.

- JSmove is not and has never been a superstar.

- Dirk has been a superstar for a long long time. He is the one constant on a team that was an annual 50+ win team for a very long time regardless if his teammates were Nash & Finely; Howard, Terry & Devan Harris or Terry, Chandler & Matrix. What he was is not in question.

- Tim Duncan is old but he is still the best big man in the game. Still a great defender and rebounder plus you can dump the ball into him with the game on the line and ride him to victory when he needs to.

- Get back to us when Dirk is healthy and playing like a superstar again.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think he was back to superstar level late last season and during the playoffs. And i think it's likely he'll be back there again, though it might be too late for the Mavs (this season).

The problem with Dirk is that he's had health issues for 2 years in a row now, so i can see why people exclude him. Similar with Rose because of the seriousness of his injury. Similar with Bynum. All three guys can certainly play at a superstar level if fully healthy, but not everyone is optimistic enough to project that.

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

There is no debate. And the funny thing is, no one is taking into account the supporting cast that Harden has around him. All the other "Super Star" players that are being mentioned have at least one all star caliber player on their squad and Harden does not. There isn't even another player on the team that's averaging 15 points a game and Harden only takes around 17 shots a game. It's amazing what this kid is doing.

18. SeabrookMiglla

terrence williams
    royce white
    jared jeffries

19. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

why Kobe is in the list ?

20. cbb139

cbb139 Member

As is today, considering injury and age

1. Lebron
    2. Durant