1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As of right now, is Lin one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Is he one of the worst?

1. Yes.

39.7%
  2. No.

45.8%
  3. Y U A LOH DOE BRAH?

14.5%
  1. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

There should be a Vote for " Do we have the worse Power Fowards in the History of the NBA"

2. PopItRockets

PopItRockets Member

I love Lin but he has playing like trash lately i want him to play like Linsanity (which might not ever happen but lets wait for February "crosses fingers")

3. deedee82

deedee82 Member

And thanks for the stats and calling it as it is with numbers. Much more informative than rants and frustrations.

Then again this is the internet. Time for popcorn.

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's pretty low on the list. Not bottom 5, but perhaps bottom 10.

I can sure list a lot of PG's that I'd rather have over him at this point:

Rajon Rondo
    Deron Williams
    Jrue Holiday
    Kyle Lowry
    Derrick Rose
    Kyrie Irving
    Brandon Jennings
    Mario Chalmers
    Jameer Nelson
    John Wall
    Mike Conley
    Grevious Vasquez
    Tony Parker
    Ty Lawson
    Ricky Rubio
    Damian Lillard
    Russel Westbrook
    Stephon Curry
    Chris Paul
    Eric Bledsoe
    Steve Nash
    Goran Dragic

That's 22 PG's better than Lin right now that I'd rather have on the team. Needless to say, I'd like to see some improvement from Lin. He's so young that I have faith he'll get better. I really hope he does, he is our PG for the next 2 1/2 years.

5. raised

raised Member

there aren't many starting PGs in lin's situation - i.e. not the primary facilitator or scorer on the team. chalmers? hinrich? williams? nash? westbrook? many of the starting PGs are also the team's top scoring option - holiday, irving, kemba walker, llilard, wall, george hill (without granger)...

it's not an argument whether harden or lin should be the first option - no doubt it's harden. but would a harden/lin combo work better if lin was facilitating? because harden/lin with harden facilitating relegates jeremy to a spot up shooter. something he is awful at (i.e. how to maximize the team based on what we currently have).

one more thing... i don't think the drastic reduction in jeremy's TOs is necessarily a good thing. It's more a signal of him not being involved, versus being more controlled at point.

6. kcal

kcal Member

Lin is not a PG in this offense. He's allowed to shoot an occasional spot up 3, and otherwise is being told to get out of the way while Harden operates.

7. coach41

coach41 Member

Stephen Curry is a PG but this year he has played SG very often as well. The additional of Jarrett Jack has opened up Curry to be a spot up shooter.

If Lin had Curry's shooting ability, there wouldn't be much complaining. Though Curry seems to be the better player right now, I think Lin is a better slasher to the basket. Curry doesn't take it to the hole that much.

Just with anything, there is always a tradeoff! :)

8. pnr

pnr Member

You would take Rubio right now in place of Lin?

9. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

It's clear from the stats he's not the worst point guard.

I would say however that McHale is one of the worst coaches.

This thread should close as it doesn't point to the Rockets real problem - McHale.

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Any team would easily.

11. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

You realize that Rubio's shooting makes Jeremy look like a prime Larry Bird right? If you think Lin looks pitiful in this system, Im not sure what you're envisioning with Rubio trying to spot up 3's while Harden runs PG.

Rondo as well. :/

12. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Doesn't matter Rubio makes up for it in all of the other areas.

13. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

What other areas would he make up for it when he's even 10 times worse than Lin offensively?

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

There are so many excuses why this guy is playing bad all season long. Injuries, Harden has the ball too much in his hands, coaches dont use him properly and so on and so on. Its everyone elses fault but Lins. He is faultless.

15. Exel

Exel Member

A lot people aren't going to deny that Lin is shooting really poorly this season. The conversations are about why he is. The guy had a good mid range game throughout college and shot the ball great last season. All of a sudden he's not hitting jumpers he did throughout his life. Now why is that?

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

As of now, his skillset is limited. There are many things he is good at--energy, passing in transition, steals, pnr decision-making, rebounding, etc. However we don't have good pnr bigs for now. And against defenses that can take away his strengths, he struggles. Bigtime. His jumpshot needs fixing. He has low percentage at the rim.

He cannot play only one way and expect to be s starting PG. He has to adopt different styles. He has to continue working on those areas so he can be at least consistent. It should be that in games that he struggles, one of his back-ups has to be called on to give heavier minutes.

Rockets will give him time to grow.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is like the 10th time I have seen this. He finishes 62% at the rim.....
    But I agree with the vast majority of your post, if you can't shoot you are easy to defend.

18. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Haha, you hit the nail right on. Lin is faultless. The Rockets basically baited him then played switch on him. The coaching staff make things even worse by not trusting in him and benching him often without proper causes leading to player confusions. It's no wonder his play has suffered. If I were Lin, I'd be very confused too. If I shoot, I get benched. If I don't shoot, I get benched. If I take over and play aggressive, I get benched. If I play passive and defer to Harden, I get benched. So which is it?

What can I say? Lin is talented but still young and inexperienced. As Mark Cuben has said, Lin can be the next Steve Nash but he needs the right system to grow and flourish, just like Nash. Right now, I am really not sure the Rockets have the right system for him. So the other thread has the correct idea, it's best to trade Lin to another team, ideally the Lakers.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This is his first season as a starting PG. We will never be a championship team with Lin having full control of our offence. Thus, he needs to adapt, and evolve as a player. The coaches know this, he knows this, and over time, (years not days short-sighted folk), he will develop. We know what he is capable of. We've seen it for NYK and in spurts for Houston.

EVERYBODY CALM THE EFF DOWN!!!

20. archinkent

archinkent Member

You obviously have not seen Rubio play this season.