1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As of right now, is Lin one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Is he one of the worst?

1. Yes.

39.7%
  2. No.

45.8%
  3. Y U A LOH DOE BRAH?

14.5%
  1. Samo

Samo Member

Sadly, he is the worst SF, PF and C too.

Is there any other starting PG being used as how he has been used in Rox?

2. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Lin is a PG on the level of Goran Dragic. An average NBA point guard, but Lin is capable of greatness as we saw during Linsanity. Games of 30+ points and 10+ assists.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gil

Gil Member

Without a doubt.

4. lfw

lfw Rookie

I don't know if Lin is one of the worst PGs, but he sure is a crappy off-the-ball SG.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But the poll was asking where he ranks relative to other starting PGs. There's no question that Lin is a solid NBA player who at the least deserves rotation minutes on most teams. But is a top-tier, middle-tier, or bottom-tier starting PG? I'd say middle-tier, but probably closer to the bottom than the top. And there's no shame in that either, because being a starter in this league already means you're a good basketball player.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Lin is young/inexperienced. The only thing that worries me is besides a couple no look passes there has rarely been a time I say Lin had a smart play on defense or offense. I remember When Lowry was piss poor at shooting he still had multiple plays were just Lowry being basketball smart got some one else an easier bucket. Often times I think to myself, "why did he just do that?". At Least he tries Hard every game...

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Probably a below average pg that shows signs of being a above average pg once in awhile is the best way to describe Lin o_O

8. thekad

thekad Member

durvasa, what does ASPM denote in your comparison? Is it just standard +/-?

9. Roxs

Roxs Member

55th among 96 guards in the league that averages at least 20 mpg. How is that not average? It's the very definition of middle of the pack.

With a stat like PER, you have to have a minutes per game cutoff or else you get skewed data from players that average very few minutes per game.

Regardless of how the question is asked, it's a question that has a definitive answer.

You and I are in agreement that his is overall average with flashes of brilliance and incompetence.

The reason why I included both shooting and point guards in my search is because Houston isn't the only team that uses a hybrid guard system. Most teams do in fact. Some teams have SFs of PFs running their offensive sets. The data that I presented is more of an accurate reflection of what the question was asking IMO.

Anyway, just trying to bring objectivity to a topic which seems to lack so much of it.

10. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Agree to all points.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Then you haven't been watching clearly. Something as simple as passing down low to Omer knowing that Asik won't finish but will likely get fouled (& hopefully hit FT's) is a smart play. I see Lin Harden parsons do this consistenly every game. Those are smart offensive plays.

On Defense Lin always (Harden does this too but to a lesser extent) consistently funnels his man to help defense. Those are smart defensive plays

You need to stop saying this. I have seen Lin run the offense plenty of times even in today's game. The coaching staff has balanced it all out a lot more lately although i do think they need to go back to the staggering Lin & hardens minutes. Lin can't shoot that is the issue at hand & that is on him. If he was a better shooter things would be very different.

1 person likes this.
  12. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

I do not get this thread. We saw 7 straight glimpse of his potential when he runs the offense during Linsanity. Then we saw another glimpse of that Linsanity vs Spurs when Harden was injured (Which means he controls the offense) So as of now we can say he MIGHT be since Mchale is misusing him. UNLESS we run the offense thru Lin then we can judge :p Other than that I really want to see Harden and Lin grow up together and mesh on the court.

13. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

lol you guyz are sad

12th in AST 47th in usage , which is good

4th in Steals

42% shooter , which is not bad for a first year starter(Third year Overall)

Above Average Defender , doesnt get in foul trouble like our other 2 PG

Good driver, average Mid Range shot

Terrible 3PT shooter

Weak handle going Left

TO Prone

During Winning streak Usage rate 21-22%

During Losing Streak 16-17%

EVERY PLAYER NOT NAMED PARSONS HAS BEEN STRUGGLING DURING LOSING STREAK

I have him at 21 at starting PGs

Could move up to 10-15 Next Year with a Great Offseason refining and adding to his offensive game

14. durvasa

I combined the 4 stats in the table above into a composite metric, though I weighted xRAPM 3 times that of the each of the other stats (nothing particularly scientific about that choice -- xRAPM already includes a boxscore component, but its a plus/minus stat at its core; the other 3 are pretty much boxscore-based). Top 5 were Paul, Parker, Westbrook, Curry, and Conley. Bottom 5 were Ridnour, A.J. Price, Hinrich, Brandon Knight, and Mo Williams. Lin was 14th out of 28.

#54 durvasa, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I can only pick 5 that he is either as good or better than.

Felton
    Thomas
    Hinrich
    Collison
    Nash (I only put Nash on the list because he can not stay healthy but Nash is better when healthy)

16. durvasa

No, its a formula based on the boxscore, like PER, with some adjustments based on team stats. It stands for "adjusted statsitical plus/minus". Unlike PER, the weights for the individual stats were determined by regressing player statistics over several seasons onto their RAPM (an adjusted +/- metric). Think of it as a predictor for RAPM, but significantly less noisy because its based on boxscore stats which tend to be more stable game to game.

Its from here:

http://godismyjudgeok.com/DStats/aspm-and-vorp/2013-aspm/

17. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

He's an average NBA point guard for sure, but the average NBA point guard does not deserve to be a starter. Of the starting point guards in the league, there are only a couple that are worse than Lin. So yes, in my opinion, he is one of the worst starting point guards in the NBA.

No jumper, proving to have only decent skills finishing at the basket, very poor decision making when attacking, defense is better than I thought, but still looks to be unimpressive overall. He's capable of scoring bursts and impressive pinpoint passes, but those moments are so infrequent that I can only chalk them up as exceptions rather than the norm.

Overall, he has been a major letdown.

18. Peaceful Elbow

Didn't vote simply because Lin doesn't get to play as a PG. Harden and Lin are redundant because they basically do the same things on the court, except Harden is more efficient at driving to the basket and better at shooting. I visioned the HardLin back court going to be a failure after seeing how bad it went for Brandon and Monta, but I kept the hope that somehow McHale will make it work. It is now abundantly clear that it won't work.

I like a traditional style of a team, where the the PG is ball dominant, the bigs play down low in the post, and the good shooters camp out 3. Our current roster is as bad as it gets, where some players on the team doesn't get to play in their positions. Right now our offense is consists of driving the the basket and shooting 3s...how easy is that for teams to defend against us?

Lin has improved a lot in areas such as ball handling, passing, and defense and I think he will become a solid PG in the future. But he won't be able to thrive in the current system because we don't have a big for him to run PNR and setup screens.

The solution is to trade Lin and let Harden becomes the PG of our team. The longer Harden and Lin remains as starters, the longer us fans will suffer because it's obvious that this combo doesn't work.

19. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

trolololol all that voted no were chinise names

20. jclee

jclee Member

and all the people voted yes are such great ballers that all the nba teams are just waiting to put you on their team.