1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As it is today; Is Kobe in your All-Time Top 10?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheMacster, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Where does Kobe rank amongst the NBA's greatest?

Poll closed May 3, 2011.
  1. Top 10

64.6%
  2. Not in my Top 10 list

20.8%
  3. Will reserve judgement for later

14.6%
  1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

MJ dominated in an era where perimeter players suck, just like Shaq dominated in an era where inside players suck. 80% of Kobe shots were from jumpers, if you allow him ISO in the post, and your center was restricted to be in one elbow distance of offsense center on the other side of paint, I doubt how much a good center can help.

Regarding zone and handcheck, zone cannot contain a team, but certainly can contain single player better. As good as dream was, he had trouble against Seattle's zone, and that was counting on refs not calling it. Today's players shoot 3pts much better, and at a much higher rate, simply because 3pts is the best way to counter zone. And handcheck is reserved for selective few players, if it's called consistently, it's like Wade in 06 finals.

2. clippy

clippy Member

Kobe stated that Eric Snow was the toughest guy who ever guarded him. Snow is 6'3". Defense is about strength and position more than height. See Hayes, Chunk. Unfortunately delusional Laker homers don't know anything about basketball as they spend so much of their lives in fantasyland.

3. ommy48

ommy48 Member

My god the derangement and absurdity of some people's claims regarding the 90's players versus today's players is awe inspiring. "MJ dominated in an era where perimeter people suck" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and the handcheck rule is "only called for LBJ and Dwade (i.e. not Kobe)" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...the alterantive realities that some people live in is truly astounding. Jordan couldn't have scored at will on a zone defense?????? Did you even see him play? The guy needed a split second to get his flawless mid-range game in motion which was unstoppable regardless of who or how many people were guarding him, and you're telling me that having a guy sag off of him in a zone would be a killer for MJ?

The same MJ who effortlessly put up 30, 40 and 50+ points at the age of 40-42 with knees so shot by debilitating knee tendinitis that he had little vertical left to his jumpshot, and had to get shots before every game to even play, against this era's "dominating perimeter players". The same guy who lit up such great perimeter players like Pierce, McGrady, Carter etc who were all taller than that midget Dumars at the age of 40+....the delusion of kobe lovers is never-ending...

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Do you think Chuck Hayes has any business guarding 6'10"+ PF?

5. clippy

clippy Member

To be fair, most people aren't making these claims. Only delusional Faker/Kobe homers who so want to prop their guy that they have to denigrate the legends of the game who came before him. Only these delusional Faker fans even consider Kobe being in the same echelon as MJ-- anyone who has actually watched the game, or, for that matter, actually looked at the numbers, competition, and accolades, know it's not a contest. Kobe is also known for choking when the pressure is at its highest: see his career Finals shooting percentage, and how he singlehandedly ruined the Fakers chances in 2004 in an attempt to outduel his own teammates. He's a lousy teammate and a coattail rider who has no business being in the top tier of NBA stars.

6. adoo

adoo Member

don't forget the 6'6" Drexler, arguably the best defensive SF in the HoF not named MJ

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The caliber of perimeter player/defensive anchor/nba rules during Jordan's era was much more difficult than Kobe's.

If Kobe's era were truly that competitive, a 40 year old Jordan wouldn't have been able to average 20 ppg.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

MOSES Malone. Why would I put Karl Malone in a group with 5 other centers (Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq)?

#88 Icehouse, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

The counter to the argument that perimeter players were better during Kobe's era than Jordan's is "who did these perimeter players pattern their game after?"

Its always hard to compare players of different eras, but IMO Jordan > Kobe.

Jordan had a level of dominance that Kobe didn't. Sure Kobe comes close, but so did Shaq in his prime, Hakeem for a few years, and maybe Lebron now.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm sure guys like Eric Gordon and Corey Brewer could pose more a physical threat than Bryon Russell or Gerald Wilkins. You can cite Gerald Green as an example of "today's athlete". But people forget the Kenny "Sky" Walker and the Terrence Stansbury types that were in the league before.

Reggie Miller was considered so-so competition . But its about 3 point shooting to combat zones, 3's considered a coveted skill. So then after 2001, Reggie Miller became good again cuz he had the modern skill to succeed. Reggie Miller is more transcendent than Jordan?

11. bigrub

bigrub Member

:rolleyes: who cares about kobe.......

12. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

That was an awesomely thought out response. props.

*for the sake of argument though, leaguewide scoring and shooting during Jordan's early days was much higher than it was during Kobe's. Late 90's/early 00's basketball sucked, to put it mildy. Iso-ball all around.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

oter thread of kobe, the NBA Dish, should be called "Kobe forum" for all the threads about him.

14. timmy

timmy Member

Why bother replying to this Chinese guy that knows nothing about b-ball?

He is the best known Kobe fan of the whole China. He's never heard names of those guys form old days.

He once called Kobe his daddy even. What a loser!!!

15. timmy

timmy Member

Goodbug, you should go to lakers' fan forum, why here.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why are you quoting yourself?

17. timmy

timmy Member

goodbug is an ignorant guy.

he bashes the guys before kobe (MJ), the guys with kobe (Shaq) and the guys after kobe (LBJ) to try to prove kobe is the best.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I hate Kobe.

But yeah, he probably cracks the top 10. He's just as good as Bird or Magic, IMHO, though I like both of them much more

19. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Maybe in a 1 on 1 game, but in a 5 on 5 game, Bird and Magic would straight up destroy Kobe, it would almost be like rape. ;)

20. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

Kobe is a good player, an All-Star player. As a function of history I suspect he'll be a HOF player. I don't see any signs in the numbers that he's ever been the best player in the league. Up there, yes, but never the best.

It seems to me a top 10 player should have a 2-3 year span where he is undeniably the best player in the league. It should be obvious in the stats.

So I ask: where is the period of uncontested dominance by Kobe Bryant?

The answer is, if you're using Win Shares as the measure, there is none.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_yearly.html

He's always been good. He's never been the best.

To talk about people not even mentioned yet, Kevin Garnett has had three years (as measured by win shares) better than Kobe's best. Is anyone mentioning him in their top 10?

Julius Erving. Doctor J. Not one person has even mentioned him. Maybe it's me, but I'd rather have Doctor J at his peak than Kobe at his.

If Kobe is top 10, then where is Tim Duncan? Top 20 because we can't have anyone from San Antonio be better than Hakeem?

Oscar Robertson. Referred to here by some as "not as good as Kobe". By my count, Oscar has 6 years where his win share is better than Kobe's best. Has Kobe ever averaged a triple double in a season?

Top 10? Kobe isn't close.

David