1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As If Y'all Needed More Proof That I Am An Old Fart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, May 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Wow, you guys really are old farts. Not only do I not know who Todd Rundgren is, but I've never heard of any of these songs. :p

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I kept a bunch of them, although it wasn't like I did it in any organized fashion. It's one of those things you realize later that you should have been anal about and put them in a safe deposit box. Most of mine were lost during the Great Houston Flood of the mid-'70's. My old lady and I had an apartment in an old 4-plex that was converted from a big 2 story house during WWII... that's what the landlady told us, anyway. We had a 1 car garage under our pad and everything got flooded. :( (that's the flood where I hitched rides from people in canoes and john boats for miles... it was really unbelievable. my car was flooded out and the whole thing turned into quite an adventure)

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no doubt...zz is up there....whatevber happened to him? :confused:

seems like he dropped out of site soon after the Tour....maybe he got assimilated by the SPerms fans?

paging zzhiggins...where you guys at?

oh yea...ontopic...

Rundgren is cool...but I can only aford a few shows a year....and Rush is coming up soon..and Ozzfest in SA...

gotta have priorities. :)

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

was gonna say the same thing about you??? ;)

5. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

Is the same Todd that sucked Lou Reed's and Patti Smith's dicks in the 70's? :D

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Nobody sucked more off of Lou and Patti then Mr. Kaye! But God bless his skinny arse for Nuggets.

I haven't read much of this thread, but I have to tell this crowd that one of the highlights of my Dad's life was playing amateur drums on stage with Mr. Rundgren on "I Don't Want To/Bang the Drum"-whatever back in 1979.

Long live the Nazz.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Ain't no way I'm old like RMT (I'm only 35) and I'm not going to the show (going to the Axiom for a dance theater reimagining of a Neutral Milk Hotel show and a surprise party after instead), but Todd Rundgren's awesome. I know it's not his best stuff, but Utopia's Deface the Music will always hold an extra special place in my heart. Story goes that TR and John Lennon always had a friendly rivalry and Utopia made the record to prove anyone could make Beatles style pop. It's an incredible, loving take on the Beatles' songwriting. Side one spoofs 62-66, side two 67-70. Every song's a parody of several Beatles tunes in one and every song's also truly great in its own right. If there are Rundgren fans (or, even more, Beatles fans) who haven't heard it, get it now. It's awesome.

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

Isn't Todd Rundgren one of those obscure people featured on the singer/songwriter collection? ;)

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Who's that and what does he sing...I thought I was old until you posted this...;)

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Well, the show was very interesting. Rundgren played pretty much his entire new CD during the main part of the show, and it was clear that the crowd was unfamiliar with the new stuff and there to hear his hits, but the music was still good. His band was phenominal, monster players all, and the LED/Computer light show was state of the art. I'm sure anyone who ate magic mushrooms before the show had a great time watching that light show. Rundgren did manage to squeeze out "Hello It's Me" for an encore, which drove the crowd crazy. There was probably no more than 400 or so people there. The balcony and back part of the lower level were completely curtained off. It was so empty that my friends and I were able to sit at a table 5 feet from the stage that had a "Reserved for Todd" sign on it, and nobody bugged us about it. I will say that Verizon Wireless Theatre is my favorite "larger than a club" venue to see a concert in Houston. The acoustics and sight-lines are awesome in that room.

11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

400 people? Damn, that's weak. He could have played Numbers.

RMT: If you're not busy tonight you should come check out Greg Wood at Rudz. Eric Dane on guitar, Leesa Harrington (ex-Joint Chiefs, Jimmy's Pawn Shop) on drums and a few former Missiles filling out the group. (Side note: I manage Eric Dane under the pseudonymn Bob Villain.)