1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Picking up Melo would slightly improve a strength on the team and make a weakness even weaker.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If we can get him to buy into playing defense and becoming more of a three point shooter we would be the best team in the West bar none. I think Harden and Melo actually complement one another very well in a way similar to Lebron and Wade do. The biggest question is if Dwight is willing to become a defensive monster and more of a pick and roll player on offense.

McHale would have his hands full, hopefully he found a magic genie who granted him the power to create a give and go offense with intricate movements a la Pop and a better defensive scheme.

3. Classic

Classic Member

No mention of the Mavs. You see that Stein?

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

So where does Carmelo put/take the Rockets? 2nd round? 2nd round exit, woo-hoo! Progress! :)

But seriously...

Homerism, kool-aid, red-colored glasses aside, is Houston really going to be better than SA, OKC, or LAC next year? I doubt it. (And I guess throw in Portland, who they were tied with record-wise and of course lost to in the first round.)

[​IMG]

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they want to be better than those teams they need to improve on their weakness, not add to a strength. A lot of that can happen with the current roster just gaining experience and hitting their primes but if we gut the roster for Melo I don't see us being a very good team at all. Sure we'd score 115 points a game, but we'd give up 120 points per game.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Melo being 30 puts his window for a chip during the same time as Dwight. Harden is young and full of potential but like love in not sure how "hungry" they are yet. Hence the lower max contract. I'm good with melo if it means a version of melo that hungrier and willing to do more of what it takes. Saw that last year in Dwight..... Not as much in harden.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

With Melo on board, Harden will actually have somebody else to initiate the offense, rather than him doing it all by himself. He's shown himself to be a capable passer, it's just that nobody else on he wings was respected enough for Harden to give up the ball.

On defence though...god if we get Carmelo, please lets make sure we can get some more defensive players.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Being a cynic is like staying home and masterbating while everyone else's goes out to pick up someone. Sure you end up satisfied but you nvr really have fun.

1 person likes this.
  9. perfectweapons

This sums it up perfect. I couldn't agree more. We will either outscore everyone or lose. There are not enough 2-way players out there to be had. We will be a team that outscores everyone and hopefully add a defensive assistant to get us to play defense when we have to.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think they have to do something at PF to get a veteran that isn't a complete joke on defense like T Jones.

11. jamma34

jamma34 Member

I'm excited - people forget how well Harden co-existed with 2 superstars in durant and westbrook. you just dont pass on an opportunity to get a top flight player.

12. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lol not sure why everyone is focusing on how far a 3rd star will take the team. even if you do get a third star, the team is still far away from winning a ring.

1) coaching. mchale is not a good coach. he needs more time to 'develop' and time is not what this team has if you want to win in the next 2 years. it's better to bring someone in that can command and hold the team accountable in defense.

2) team chemistry and buy in. it takes time for a team to play well together too. the problem with last year, is that there were too many young players who wanted to get their own. Tjones wanted to be the 3rd star. Parsons wanted to be the 3rd star. Dmo would come in and try to score immediately. Everyone is focusing on scoring and wanting to be 'that guy.' We need some vets who have gotten over that sh\t and keep the young guys in line. the roles on this team are not defined (at least not to the players). The Heat have a fairly disciplined team who know their roles well with vets. Spurs - enough said, even the young guys are unselfish. Dallas had Dirk, but the players knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

Boston had big 3, but they also had Doc Rivers who preached Defense. stacking stars does not equal win. having a great team = win.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If the Rockets get Melo, they are a legit Finals contender. McHale needs to hire an assistant that has a clue on coaching defense.

14. HalataHoops

HalataHoops Member

Going to be interesting what's going to happen in the off season even more so if the Heat lose tonight.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

They play tomorrow. Sunday.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

San Antonio is playing the best basketball that I have seen in this era.

Crazy awesome team.

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The dudes already 30 years old.....

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

I would love a second round exit at this point. That would mean progress.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm all for Melo. Yeah, it would be great to have a defensive power forward like Bosh (never thought I'd say that in his Toronto days), but I doubt he'll even be a free agent. There are simply no defensive power forwards for us to sign, nor many that we can trade for. And if you can't get a defensive power forward, why not get one of the best pure scorers in the league and a franchise player?

20. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Melo wouldn't be a bad option if we can get him for the MLE.

JOKEPLEASEDONTKILLME