1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

* Chris Jent

2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I don't understand why it takes so long to decide. Surely, he had some sort of idea what type of roster and salary he would be working with for each team BEFORE this whole courting process starting. How much has changed?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ep-carmelo-anthony-re-signing-new-york-knicks

5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I think we're out though. I agree with Carl that the LA stuff is a leverage play. It's also the reason I think we're out. I think Carmelo wants bulls in a sign and trade. He can't go there directly bc he wants more than $15m a year and Phil knows this. But Phil knows this so won't cave to Chicago. So in come LA with its full max offer and the allure of LA. It's no longer about winning but money and city. LA can sign Melo outright and there's just enough glamor to think Melo will do it or live with it. So he tells NY to sign and trade to Bulls for assets or he walks to La and they get nothing. He can probably convince himself LA is acceptable bc he lives there offseason and his wife works there a lot. Faced with that real threat, Phil is more likely to cave in order to get mirotic, butler, picks plus boozer rather than nothing.

Why not Houston as the threat? Because if Melo leaks that he wants you then he probably kills any chance of going to bulls. The hou threat would appear real, and Phil would probably cave and do a sign and trade with HOU. But Melo wants the sign and trade with Bulls, not houston.

In any case I agree it's been too silent. Last year even though other cities were thrown out we were always in the running our a second choice. No one is putting us up there now, not even Amick or Woj who are unlikely to miss hints. I think we're out. Melo wants other things more than winning. More power to him. I hope he goes to bulls so they can get out of the love race. And stay in the east, and have to deal with a broken rose.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That story requires you to have an account in order to read it.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would LOL if he signed with the Lakers. They'd be the Knicks of last season 2.0.

With the West as competitive as it is, I have trouble seeing Melo and broken down old Kobe doing much damage.

8. Carl Herrera

Wait... Kobe, Melo and a re-signed Gasol will be "long term salary obligations," no?

At the very least, we are talking about 3 guys who take up the vast majority of the salary cap for the upcoming 2 seasons.

9. mazinger

mazinger Member

10. Possum

Possum Member

Man screw this jaggoff. If he isn't really considering us he should let us know. He doesn't have to announce who he is going to choose but at least let the teams that have no chance.

11. Carl Herrera

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

What's the news with Bynum? Could he be taking this off - season seriously and possibly have a comeback season or is he done? This has been the first opportunity for Bynums return to the Lakers. A healthy Bynum, re - signed Kobe and Gasol adding Melo, and you have yourself a contender.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, doesn't he know he could be hurting competitors by taking so long? What is this guy thinking?

14. TheFreak

Today's NBA, where not wanting to win cheap titles with a super team means you don't care about winning.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheFreak

Sorry Cat. I still think Houston sucks as a sports town. My opinion hasn't really modified much on that one. Were there not any threads about the lackluster crowd at the TC this season?

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Hopefully when we wake up tomorrow Carmelo has already made up his mind on what team hes joining.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Until it comes out that lebron is playing chicken with wade and bosh so that melo can join the heat

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Problem is the moment things go wrong there...the team is likely to implode.

In the west...Kobe-Melo...things go wrong.

I hope if he doesn't come here he goes to NYK or LAL.

Just so future FA will learn from his mistake..

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The worst in America? Give me a break. It could definitely be better, and I get what you're referring to... but that's a wild exaggeration for effect and you know it.

1 person likes this.
  20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Cleveland is the worst sports town.