1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a Spursfan. i never understand why...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gunawanspurs, Feb 17, 2003.

1. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

...many fans in this forum hate our team so much. Some even went further by labelling a honorable person like DRob names :mad:
    As far as i know, DRob and Duncan are nowhere in the same "punkass" class as Malone is. Yet, many of you put them like one.:rolleyes:

At Hakeem glory days, it's all a great and healthy competition between the two franchises. Even as the Rox fade off in the recent years, no smack words come out from our franchise players.

When Ming came and have been in a good rookie yr, all the words that came out from TD and DRob lips are praises, not some ching chong yat wah Shaq have said !

Just ask the Cat, your fellow CC.net poster, who also happened to be a regular poster in SpursReport.com.

Did he ever hear even once a bad mouthing over a respectable person and player like Hakeem was ?

A BIG NO.

Spurs fans always have a big amount of respect to Hakeem, a truly superstar who put his deed over his mouth.

Yes, many of our fans hate a COCKY stars like Francis and Mobley, but with their badmouthing over our team and players, how we supposed not to ?

I just can't understand a blatant hatred toward us, while a classless franchise like ( the current ) Flakers get so many respect in this forum ( i can'r count how many Kobe worshippers in this forum, and Shaq lovers too )

2. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

there shouldnt be no beefs between rockets fans nor spurs fans. i mean if the rockets fans say any harsh words, its just out of respect for the rockets team. hey its not like san antonio are dallas mavericks fans who do nothing but talk trash all day about how they're the better team. (f them mavs fans damnit!!!)

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The spurs are full of good people and good players and I hate them. The hate is based on recent success against us and we are I-10 rivals. You can't expect us to love you cause your nice and win a lot of games. Give us Tim Duncan, Malik Rose, or Tony Parker and we'll call it even.

4. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But you still have more thropy than us, and with all of your good talents, could add for more in the future.

When Hakeem had topped DRob on their glorydays, we b****ed
    and moaned, but not dissing Hakeem himself

I dunno if guys who call DRob names are under age, but they should be more humble IMO.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Think of our hate as respect. I may be talking out of line here, but I think we all hate them more in a jealous of their success way. I don't think I call the spurs names unless it's funny to me. I still hate the spurs though. Put it this way, if any of the players on the spurs played for the rockets we would like them. But they don't so tell sTD to beat the Lakers, Jazz, T-Wolves and Phoenix and sit out against the Rox. Then we'll call it even. Good day.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't think I've seen anything bad written about Tim Duncan here. Granted, there are lots of people who will ridicule Robinson's softness, but that's hardly exclusive to Rockets fans. Overall, I never got the impression that posters here really hate the Spurs too much. Now, if you're a Jazz fan... :p

7. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Look gunawanspurs, let me make it up to you on behalf of all the BBS posters who love our Rockets and hate, *friendly hate* the Spurs. I'll take you and your life partner to dinner, on us (paid by me).

Let me give you directions to the restaurant:
    Just take I-10 East, until you get to a little road we Houstonians call I-610. Take a left on 610 and keep on driving until it ends........ there just past your final exit is a great little restaurant that serves plenty of margaritas and real authentic Mexican food. Come on down, it will be fun, and maybe then can we put this whole deal to rest, so you sleep better at night, and all.

ls

8. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Spur fans live in the fattest city in America :p

9. carayip

carayip Member

I am not here very long. But from what I read, people here held Duncan in higher regard than Shaq and Kobe. Believe me, most (maybe all) of us would like to have Duncan.

As for hatred towards Spurs, perhaps it's just a natural state (Texas) rivalry.

10. Sane

Sane Member

We love Duncan. Our hatred is towards the Admiral who hasn't really done anything in his career.

Sure, he's an honorable guy and a great C. But Hakeem stripped him of any "face" he had. Do you recall what I'm talking about? Robinson getting the MVP when Hakeem deserved it? Then Hakeem shrugged it off and went on to school Robinson until he had a P.H.D. for being schooled. Oh, and he later won Finals MVP..

To see a few short parts of this demolition act go here.

It's going to be a very good rivalry once Yao Ming is ready. Till then, I respect your team for having our number.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

When you spend a few years as a Rocket fan in San Antonio country and listen to former Spurs voice (voice at the time) Jay Howard constantly bash your team and city, then it's hard to like them.

I'll be honest, since he left (and can you tell me why he left, I've never heard), my hatred for the team isn't nearly as bad.

Also, FWIW, I can't remember anyone comparing any Spur to Karl Malone.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My fundamental dislike is based upon the obvious intra-state rivalry but goes further.

1) IMO, Robinson could have played the year SA went Lottery and got Duncan, but Popovic held him out deliberately.

2) After living 16 years in Houston, I now live in Austin and get the Spurs shoved down my throat because they are the "local" NBA team.

3) This is my 4th season with League Pass and I watch many more games than just the Rockets. Joel Meyers (Spurs announcer) is one of the biggest "homers" of any commentator I have heard (second only to Rod Hundley at Utah). It was the announcing team of Meyers and Sean Elliott that annointed "Jesus" Parker after about 5 games into his rookie year. (By the way, Derek Harper of the Mavs is starting to give Meyers some competition).

4) By virtue of proximity, it is easier to go to games in SA than Houston. While my experiences at the Alamodome and the SBC Center are admittedly not very accurate scientific samples, the Spurs fans which surround me at these games are truly clueless about basketball.

Two quick examples.

First, Francis's rookie year and his first visit to SA. Nobody within 10 seats in any direction had an idea who he was. C'mon...the #2 overall player in the draft? You actually could hear them asking each other.

Secondly, I went to Yao's preseason game this year in the SBC Center. The Spurs fan next to me tried to tell me how well Stephen Jackson played for the Spurs last season. Stephen Jackson was with the Nets last season. The same fan had no idea that Mengke Bateer was headed to SA.

5) I don't "hate" the Spurs, but you must admit...to a casual basketball observer, they have to be pretty boring. While I root for the Spurs frequently, they are more methodical than exciting...on and off the court. That said, most of the Spurs are preferable to a thug like Allen Iverson except Danny Ferry who is an on-court thug.

OK...solely one man's opinion.

Just noticed I got to follow Rocketman95. I'll bet he doesn't care much for Derek Harper either now that he's been exiled to Siberia...er I mean Dallas. :)

#12 GATER, Feb 17, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2003
  13. manuginobili

manuginobili Member

Isn't Houston the fattest city in America now?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You are correct, sir.

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, Houston is now the fattest city. ;).

The Spurs hate comes from the days when Lucas was coach, and team and fans were smug poseurs that traded on rep for free trips to the line. When Hakeem was schooling the little Mermaid, she never gave the better player due respect. She proved herself a whiner, not a stand-up warrior. This was something we already knew from previous white glove treatment of the "MVP." The rest of the league found out, and tagged her with the nickname (popularized on Jim Rome show). That's much the same problem we have with Karla - we hate teams that steal points with the quick whistle, especially when it goes to touch fouls on huge, muscular players, who are otherwise allowed to dish it out.

The last game of the 95 season (?) where the Spurs were awarded the win on a late tip in by D-Rob left a bitter taste, as the Rockets went on to lose to the Sonics in game 7 of a series that had every game go to the home court. Lucas's mad celebration as he, D-Rob and the officials sprinted off the court together won't be forgotten.

Houston was the franchise where Hakeem has to get hammered every trip with no foul, as the league nursed a grudge from his angry youth. D-Rob was the golden boy, handed a silver pacifier each by the zebras whenever he had trouble. He led the league in trips to the line one season, was second to Karla in several. No one can root for a player like that, or stomach the 73 pt game Lucas engineered for him v the Clippers in that rush for the trophy season.

Spurs fans and announcers have also earned ire. That's covered above in other posts. I don't think Spock has any hatas around. Spock deserves all the respect in the world. Pops isn't the most loveable guy, but not a subject of hate, like say, the thug Riley. More another time. Best wishes to you, SA fan, enjoy the rivalry. You have the league's most efficient player and are poised to do well in the offseason. Your coach gets your big man the ball. There's a lot for us to envy.

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've been one of the more vocal anti-spur fans here on the bbs. first, i want to echo Rocketman95's sentiments. second, i want to add to them:

1) spur fans (not all of them, but a damn large #) have to be some of the most uneducated fans i know of. i've had spur fans tell me that #21 for the minnesota timberwolves is that guy "keith garrett" and he's a badass! :rolleyes: i've had countless spur fans tell me that manu freakin' ginobili would be the best rookie of this past draft! :eek: :rolleyes:

2) spur announcers are the absolutely most homerific announcers i have ever heard. it goes beyond "jesus" parker. it's the way they almost never compliment an opposing player. it's the way that every spurs replay that they show is followed by some comment about how the spur player was not in the wrong. EVERY TIME!

3) spur broadcasters/talkshow hosts are ridiculous. i could not believe don harris had the audacity to proclaim "jesus" parker in the same class as jason kidd and gary payton in parker's rookie season. not that his rookie year was comparable to kidd and payton's, but that the impact he would have on the nba would be as large as theirs. that he would be as good as them! in parker's rookie year where he hadn't played but 5 games?! and sean elliott was just ridiculous. according to him, tony parker was the best rookie his year "hands down", "no contest". please. i could argue that he wasn't even the best point guard of his draft.

4) david robinson sat out that year purposely (i have proof) so they could tank for tim.

5) living in san antonio, i've had countless arguments with spur fans. and the majority that i've met can't even name 5 players from most nba teams...

that said, i do like and respect tim duncan. he's 100% the real deal...david robinson with heart.

but...

6) tim duncan is so scared of shaq, that he won't even play his natural position - center. of course, that goes for a lot of nba players that should be centers, but refuse to accept their natural position. but tim disappoints me the most. why? because he has the talent to be the best center in the nba, even beyond shaq. but he (or maybe pop) just won't match tim against him.

i've asked many spurs' fans why they don't match tim against shaq - especially when david is out. why is it they put malik rose against shaq? i've even asked don harris. the answer is always the same: because tim would get in foul trouble.

well, that's a defeatist mentality, imo. have they ever considered that shaq might get in foul trouble trying to cover tim??? and, imo, until tim decides, or pop decides, or whoever decides to put tim against shaq, tim can NEVER claim to be the best player in the nba. he can NEVER claim to be better than shaq until he is man enough to go cover him....hell, hakeem did it. he freakin abused him. even chris webber covered him last year. it's part of being "the man" in the post.

(exhale) (deep breath)

that said, not all spur fans are bad. 101 6 7 was ok with me. and some of the guys i work with are alright spur fans. but the ignorant, arrogant ones (terrible combination btw) far outnumber the good ones that i've come across.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Spurs are hated at the level of the Jazz. To my estimation, the hatred ranking on this board goes like this:

1. Jazz
    2. Lakers
    3. Mavs (perhaps tied with Lakers since they became contenders)
    4. Spurs

The Jazz hatred is obvious. The Lakers are hated because of their success and the arrogance of the whole organization. The Mavs and the Spurs are hated, I think, mostly because of the intra-state rivalry. The Mavs are hated more because of Cuban and the Mavs fans.

18. haven

haven Member

1. The Spurs play boring basketball. I route against boring teams for the sheer reason that the rest of the league always mimics a winner. Not quite so bad as the NFL, but still.

And if it were just their personel, I'd understand it. But that's not the entire issue. Duncan is probably the most mobile big man I've ever seen. His ball skills allow for so much creativity that Popovic just ignores. He actually seems to prefer boring basketball.

2. Spurs fans were disrespectful of Hakeem. No, you never deliberately badmouthed him. But you sure did compare him to David Robinson. There never was a comparison. Hakeem abused Robinson. He succeeded with less overall talent beside him. And his game was that of grace and beauty. Robinson was workman-like, efficient... and lacked that extra "something" that separates the Shaqs and Hakeems from the Ewings and Robinsons.

Nobody who didn't live in San Antonio thought Robinson compared. And it really was unique to San Antonio. I've known plenty of New Yorkers... and few of them ever pretended Ewing was as good as Hakeem.

3. The Spurs announcers are godawful. They're more ignorant of basketball than most... and more homeristic. The Tony Parker worship must end.

4. You're an in-state rival. What do you expect?

19. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't know, where is two samiches living these days? He could tip the balance.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree complete with ALL of the points that Verse brings up! I was about to post in this thread my reasons (SA Media, Tanking for Duncan, Duncan refuses to play Center) but Verse nailed ALL of them so why bother. The Spurs Media piss me off more than anything though! Horrrrrrrrrible. ;)

Chris