1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Arts] Good theatre ideas?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BFF, Jan 25, 2013.

1. BFF

BFF Member

My kid is 14 and has really developed into a scholarship recipient in both music (orchestra-french horn) & theatre (musicals & plays).

He is coming down for Spring Break this year Mar. 14-23. Best I've seen is Houston Symphony performing West Side Story during that time frame.

Any other ideas are welcomed.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe check U of H to see if Moores Opera House has any performances from their School of Music, just so he can see the next level.

3. BFF

BFF Member

4. BFF

BFF Member

I checked. Nothing going on that week. Thanks, though.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Without presuming to tell you what to do, if I were 14 I can say with some confidence that I'd be ****ing mortified if my father shared a bunch of random pictures of me from facebook on an internet message board.

6. BFF

BFF Member

To a bunch of guys on a basketball site? Yeah, considering he's been on stage in front of people, he might not be as introverted and weird as you.

Sounds like a personal problem you should look into.

7. dharocks

Wasn't trying to be antagonistic, just helpful.

8. BFF

BFF Member

Sorry. I'm not worried about his pics, per se. But should I have saved them to mine and then distributed, rather than copy and pasting from fb?

9. dharocks

More the photoshoppers on the board I was thinking about.

10. BFF

BFF Member

Just showing pride in my son's accomplishments. Should they backfire, you'd be surprised how similar his humor is to mine.

Luckily he should have zero connection here, so unless someone can do a viral thing, i'd think he's safe.

Either way. kid is a kick ass son, and I'm just hoping someone might lead him to another fantastic Houston venue while he is here.

11. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

12. BFF

BFF Member

Not even close. I've been the shunned parent due to court restraints who care more about child support than visitation.

This is the first year he is able to decide which parent he wants to be with. So my ex has "graciously" said he can come simply because he asked.

As to the parent I am? I'm the kind that still calls you every week since you were 2 years old and will be there regardless, and also the one to tell you when you f*^%ed up. As much as I hate my ex, she did a great job raising him.

We divorced when he was less than 2. My ex has asked several times to let the new dad adopt him and the child support "would magically go away." I fought every time.

The fact that i persevered is why my son is in my life now. And I'm damn proud of it.

I'm not a helicopter parent. I'm the proud father of a great child.

13. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

You could've asked him first....

14. BFF

BFF Member

I know, consequences will never be the same.

I posted visible pics of him at public gatherings...

15. Hicklander

So he is coming to visit or stay permanet?

16. BFF

BFF Member

Anyhoo, I'm sure this time will be better. Version 0.2

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9I-cxF7jZH8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Hicklander

18. BFF

BFF Member

That's the thing. He wants to be with me a lot more, and she knows he can now. I'm not going to be anything more than I was before. He's welcome, anytime he wants. The next few years will be interesting, but it will be entirely up to him for the first time. I am excited. But I'm also aware that I'm much better equipped for raising a teenager than a newborn.

19. BFF

BFF Member

Wow! This is what I was looking for. I'll still have to think about it, but hell, I was privy to everything when I was 14, and that was in 86. But West Side Story, IMO still shows what an honest-to-God actual orchestra can do.

Thanks for the heads up though. Seriously.

20. Hicklander

Captivating Courtroom Drama
    A Few Good Men
    By Aaron Sorkin
    Hubbard Stage
    Recommended for mature audiences due to language. Previews start March 1, 2013
    Opens March 6, 2013
    Ends March 24, 2013

Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball, The Social Network, The West Wing) returns to the Alley Theatre (The Farnsworth Invention, 2009) with the captivating courtroom drama. A Few Good Men is Sorkin’s first play, which ran for nearly 500 performances on Broadway in 1989, became an Oscar-nominated film in 1992 and was re-conceived for a 2005 London revival. Originally inspired by true events (Sorkin’s sister served with the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps [JAG]), this taut, tense thriller erupts when two Marines are accused of the hazing death of a fellow Marine at Guantanamo Bay. This hard-hitting, suspenseful story puts the Marine code of honor on trial.

http://www.alleytheatre.org/Alley/Read_About_The_2012-2013_Season.asp