1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: How The Texans Fell From Grace

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Nov 13, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Couldn't even finish reading I felt sick.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

You have to look no further than Jerry Jones, he still makes more money than any other owner and feed his ego all at the same time. Its the fans who suffer while these a-holes line their pockets. Jerry is Bob on roids.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Wasnt quite as sickening until i read that our core consisted of joseph as if that was the bright side. :eek:

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Jerry and Bob are on opposite ends of the patience and meddling spectrum. Jerry doesn't give coaches long to prove themselves. They've had 7 coaches in 25 years. That's 3.5 years/coach. He's super involved with every aspect of the team. He's his own GM. He drove Jimmy Johnson away after 2 Super Bowls in part because Jimmy had complete control over personnel and Jerry wanted more of a say.

Bob on the other hand is a strong believer in consistency and views change as a bad thing. He believes in people and is going to give them every opportunity to succeed. He almost never tries to force decisions on the people he's put in charge. The major exception being the hiring of Wade Phillips. The Texans have had 2 coaches in 12 years.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess people really want to lose another NFL team, if LA can do it why can't we!?

That is the only thing that will accomplish. The NFL is too big to allow any team no matter how big the market to have poor attendance.

Article is accurate. Injuries...but also poor evaluation of young players.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Really don't see this being a tough fix. Should be easy making the necessary cuts to free up a lot of cap space (Ed Reed being step one).

A good draft to shore up the o line, add a milb next to a healthy cush and maybe another stud db to put back there with Swearinger.

Get Graham, Tate back

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is really unfair to Bob McNair. You could make the argument that McNair is too loyal and takes too long to make hard decisions, but he shares none of the things that makes Jerry Jones a bad owner, namely the huge ego (or at least publicly displayed ego) and the constant meddling in the football side of things because he somehow believes he has some special skill in player evaluation.

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I'm glad this article shows respect to demeco by listing him as the first domino to fall. His leadership is sorely missed. If I were closer to the situation I may have kept him

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The issue with Jerry Jones is that he wants HIMSELF to be the reason they succeed. But he wants success for his team, make no mistake.

McNair has never shown me that he cares about success that much. He treats it the way I would treat beating a friend in a video game. Not that I don't want to win, but I don't exactly care if I lose. McNair seems to feel the same way about the Texans winning or losing. He may get agitated, but there's really no fire.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Mario Williams was never the face of the franchise, no one is missing him, JJ Watt is much better than him THIS SEASON.

11. Raven

Raven Member

He saw the Texans as a smart business move, but he's never given any indication that winning is as important as profits, and the Texans are very very profitable. I don't think anything will really rattle him except a decline in revenue.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then why does he toss out contract extensions when he doesn't have to? Why is he splurging on free agents that are over the hill? Why is this team nearly capped out every season, when they could easily save money if all the owner cared about was "profits".

I think complaining about the "owner" is about as useful two assholes. There's really nothing you can do about it, and claiming he is "only in it for the money" doesn't add up to how this team has spent since its inception.

13. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

It sounds stupid when your argument is an owner doesn't want to win as my h as the next. especially because he isn't an egomaniac like the guy up 45.

14. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

"as much as the next guy". ^^^

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because that's what his football people tell him to do.

He knows more about horse racing thank football.that's his real passion

16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think 610's midday show had Barnwell for a spot. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I've enjoyed his grantland podcast, and it would be interesting to hear an outsider's focused perspective on Rick Smith that goes deeper than his article.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

When owners spend in the NFL up to the cap, all it proves is that they're not misers. That's it. The NFL is not like the NBA or the MLB where you can truly tell which owner will spend. Given the amount of revenue they all get, it's basically impossible to not spend near the cap unless you pull attendence like the Jaguars.

But NFL teams can definitely spend a ton of money to gain an edge. On scouts, on analytics, on training, coaches, etc. McNair has never shown a propensity to try to find an edge. Les hired Morey because he wanted a new direction following CD's repeated failures in talent scouting. And Les invested in Morey's plan. McNair when looking for a HC, he wanted to make sure said coach would keep David Carr as the QB. When was there any time that an owner who wishes to win hire a coach to keep a horrible QB?

18. Grinds

Grinds Member

Rick Smith and Co have made some poor decisions, but our main problem is McNair. He has the ultimate power on who's employed.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So basically McNair is "cheap" and doesn't care if the team wins because he presumably doesn't utilize analytics? Or because this team made the mistake of keeping Carr? (a mistake that occurred 8 years ago... Since which the team has had some success). Or because he doesn't do what this city's basketball owner does... where he also is in a capped sport, but "seems" to be making more of an effort (even though said effort hasn't translated into any real success for the Rockets in over 14 years...)

Again, blaming the owner for everything is useless... And there aren't even facts to back it up.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Analytics means trying to analyze things in a deeper/new manner, in order to gain an advantage over your competitors. So yes, not spending money in order to utilize all possible means to give yourself a competitive advantage is "cheap."

McNair wanted to keep a failure. Owners that like winning don't keep failures. They get rid of them. He also liked to keep repeatedly failed Marciano. As well as Dom Capers. As well as Gary Kubiak.

Exactly. Les realized failure and tried to change things. McNair realized failure and decide to stay on course. That's basically my point in my previous post.

This isn't rocket science. One owner wants to win. The other does not.