1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: Espn These five trades would help NBA's needy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AlexVanderpool, Jun 20, 2003.

1. AlexVanderpool

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2003/columns/smith_sam/1570786.html

here is the trade for the rox:

"4. Allan Houston for Eddie Griffin, Cuttino Mobley and Glen Rice. The Rockets get Houston, who is the shooter and the veteran to complement Steve Francis and open the floor for Yao Ming. It gives them three potential All-Stars to make a run in the West and Houston will be a locker room presence for new coach Jeff Van Gundy. Houston in Houston. Is that perfect, or what? The Knicks need an infusion of young talent and get Griffin, Mobley and Rice. Rice is going into the final year of his contract, so the Knicks save millions in the luxury tax after next season. Mobley and the 6-foot-10 Griffin are two youngsters who they can begin building with along with the No. 9 overall pick in this draft, which they could now use for a young point guard to go with shooting guard Mobley."

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

3. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

can you say hell no

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

That seems to work out better for NYK than it does for the Rockets.

5. AlexVanderpool

horrible trade...

this was obviously written with a total east coast bias mentality...

as much as id love to have allan houston on this team, there is no way i would trade 3 everyday position players, 2 of which are very young "possible" up and comming stars for a near the end of his prime, max salary, 1 dimentional player.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2 Jackups on the same team: Steve Francis and Allan Houston....

Nope.

Giving up too much for him...might as well pay him 100 million and lose that.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sam Smith writes for the Chicago Tribune. West coast (of lake michigan) bias maybe....

I actually don't think its that bad, I think Houston would be a better team next year if they did it, its just that the longterm future with Allan H's contract would be more dicey.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I just read all of the proposed trades and all I have to say is someone please take the pipe out of his mouth before he writes anything else!!!

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Mobley + $75m = Houston. How does that help us?

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The only bad thing about that is keeping Taylors contract. I would sub taylor for Rice and keep griffin and go with it. Giving up cat and Taylor for houston isn't that bad. His contract is what really bothers me for a 32 yr old though.

11. leebigez

Pretty much what everyone has wanted around here for a while. Houston is one of the few pure shooters in this league. He's 6'6, has a great 1st step and a great ft shooter. He's a good mid range shooter as well as 3 pt shooter. Once he gets on a roll, he's very,very hard to guard. My only problem is on th contract side of it. Its like this. If it meant getting rid of Cat and Taylor, and not having enough money for Posey, I might be inclined to do it. Francis,Houston,Morris/Nachbar,Griffin, and Ming as a starting 5 would be a very good team. Rice,Norris,Morris/Nachbar, veteran mle and Cato off the bench would still be pretty good also. As much as I dislike his contract, I think it would be a good fit.

12. matrixReloaded

we're basically losing our starting 2 guard, our starting power forward, and a great shooter off the bench for just a good shooter. Throw in the #7 pick and maybe it's a good deal.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wouldnt do this trade, but it seems as if most of you have no clue about Houston's game. He is leagues above Mobley. Its not even close. The guy doesnt "jack" up shots. He is a diligent scorer and he is much more of a pure shooter than Mobes. The Rockets could use a consistent shooter like Houston because that will keep defenses honest.

Anyways, Im still holding out hope for Griffin, thats why I wouldnt do the trade. Otherwise, Allan Houston would be a welcomed addition to the team.

#13 rezdawg, Jun 20, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2003
  14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Most of the proposed trades on this board have us giving up less. And those trades are for J.Oneal Brand etc...this trade sucks

15. matrixReloaded

oops, my fault, the 9th pick is what the knicks have.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

HORRIBLE trade! Granted someone LIKE Allan Houston that can hit the outside shot would be great on this team opening up the middle for Yao.

However, NOT at that price! No way do we want to touch Allan Houston's HUGE contract. And no way do we give up Griffin in that deal!

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How is Houston better than:

Person?
    Barry (either)?
    or
    Cat???

Too silly.

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

This would actually be a good trade for the Rockets, in that it would help the Knicks rebuild, get rid of their horrible contract, and as a result we would be looked upon favourably by the city of New York, and consequently the league office...It is not too much to suppose that Yao would get better calls from the refs...

19. leebigez

Like I said previously, Houston for Taylor and Cat. The only negative asstated is the escalators in Houstons deal that push it close to 20 mill by the time he's through. The thing for us is we get rid or Taylor's contract and a square peg in Mobley. Another negative is not resigning Posey, but personally, as much as I like the guy, I think Morris played pretty good last yr and is cheaper. Losing the depth of Taylor off the bench can be soothed by signing someone like Elden Campbell who can play the 4 or the 5. Pawn off Cato's contract for someones ending this yr and the Rockets even with Houston and francis max contract could stay under the luxury tax threshold. Ming contract will come up in 2 more yrs ,so they have time.

I can see Houston coming off a double staggered pick for a open shots all day if they so choose. He could really open this offense up.

20. jshabang

jshabang Member

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

All that for Houston only???????
    Who is this guy?????

I was born in the night, but it wasn't last night
    If CD and Les are really lookin at this trade.......I'm going on strike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: