1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: Astros show interest in Garciaparra

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DVauthrin, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Again, Nomar would have to really do something superb to make that happen. He really isn't a shortstop anymore, and it's in his best interests to not play the position at this point and time.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If Nomar could just get over his OCD and glove routine before he bats, he would be a marvelous player.

3. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't make me like or dislike him, but that routine drive's me nuts.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I only want Nomar if it means Everett's tenure with the Astros is over. Otherwise, I dont want that guy in our outfield. I'd rather get Manny Ramirez. Or Bobby Abreu. Or Barry Bonds. Or Albert Pujols.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

And I would've rather had Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett in the Rockets offseason instead of Stromile Swift. Doesn't mean they're available at a price we can afford, though.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'd love to see us toggle between Burke and Nomar in LF and SS....and occasionally putting Bruntlett in there. We would lose something defensivle...but offensive, it would be a nice improvement.

7. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Well, as poor as Everett is offensively, he is pretty rock-solid in the field. Am I the only one w/ unpleasant memories of Julio Lugo and Guti-error booting balls left and right? I do agree that we need to upgrade the offense in a big way...just not sure of the best way.

8. liamrock

Well....not that this means anything, but Richard Justice says today in his blog that Garciaparra will NOT join the Astros because he's too expensive.

Nomar has already been priced out of their neighborhood. I've heard he has one offer of $6 million, which is a pretty big check for someone with his injury history. You're right that he would have been a good fit. I like him a lot. Tough guy. His teammates haven't always liked him, but you can't please everyone. Wait, didn't Ricky Nelson say that?

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He was saying that yesterday before the reports came out that he was going to choose this week among the various teams with the Astros in the running. Justice is just talking out of his ass as usual.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Everett is no Ozzie Smith. Lugo also played better defense in Tampa Bay then he did here. I hate watching Everett make bad throws way over the first baseman's head on a routine play. He makes some sensational plays out there, but I think we could do better. Everett is a poor man's Alex Gonzalez.

11. NJRocket

I think that unless the $$$ is significantly different, he is going to choose the best situation for him.

Is it the Yanks where he will be a part time player? Maybe - that would let his body rest more....and it is certainly a winning situation (not to mention a chance to stick in up the Red Sox's a$$.

Other than the Yanks, I don't see the Dodgers or Indians as much better options as far as a winning environment or playing time compared to the Astros. If he signs a 2 year deal, his stats in MMP will be a lot better than what they will be in LA or Clev...in regards to him getting a contract in a couple of years.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hate it when anyone does that. I also hate it when SSs can't turn amazing double plays in the top of the ninth in game 4 of the NLCS with the game on the line.

13. NJRocket

He can't hit...that I will give you.....but IMO, he is one of the top 5 defensive SS in the game right now.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

did any of you guys here tim purpura on the radio last night? he addressed the issue and said they were interested and said he could play any number of positions.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, Justice already said that Nomar was too expensive. Tim must not have heard Drayton saying that over the chewing.

16. NJRocket

i did not hear.....thats good to know.

I am just wondering what "we have expressed interest" means. I wonder if we have offered a contract or if we have just had discussions about possibilities.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I used to defend Justice, but I swear I think he just makes up stuff now.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I guess I can give him one thing. At least he is better, not to mention cheaper than Christian Guzman. I don't see how that guy is still in the majors. Everett was improving offensively in 2004 then took a step back this year.

19. liamrock

On 610's morning show Lance mentioned that he was hearing rumors about both Everett and Lane. I'm not sure if he was referring to old rumors or not.

Teams in need of SS are the Red Sox and the Braves.....hmm.....

20. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Braves dont need an SS, they stole Renteria from the BoSox.