1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article about issues in the Muslim world - from a Pakistani media source

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 15, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The following chilling article, apparently written by a Muslim (judging by the name) was sent to me by one of the most respected members of this board.

Please discuss.

Who will cast the first stone?

By Irfan Husain
    Wednesday, 14 Jul, 2010

[​IMG]

First, the good news: the Bangladesh High Court has abolished all physical punishments based on the scriptures. Thus, people will no longer be sentenced to lashing, chopping off their hands, or stoning to death.
    Unfortunately, Mrs Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani is an Iranian widow, and was sentenced to be stoned to death in her country for alleged adultery before her husband was murdered. She has already been lashed 99 times in 2006 for “illicit sex”. The Iranian penal code is very explicit about how the sentence is to be carried out: the stones should not be so large as to kill the victim immediately, and yet large enough to fit the definition of a stone.

While an international outcry has prevented this barbaric punishment from being carried out, Mrs Ashtiani might yet be hanged for the alleged offence. Although Islamic law requires four witnesses to establish that adultery has taken place, in this case the judge has based his sentence on ‘personal knowledge’. Currently, 15 more suspects are under the same sentence in East Azerbaijan alone. It seems these punishments have been revived under Ahmednijad’s presidency after lying dormant during his predecessor’s less benighted term.

From Pakistan, a human rights activist has sent me a sickening account of a Christian whose wife and four children were killed last month in Jhelum. Apparently, Jamshed Masih, a Christian policeman, was told to move from the predominantly Muslim colony where he and his family lived.

Before the attack, Masih’s 11-year old son went to a local shop, and was refused service on the grounds that he was a non-Muslim. On his return, locals led by Maulana Mahfooz Khan entered the house, asserting that the boy had committed blasphemy and must be punished. Mrs Masih pleaded with the mob, and asked them to wait until her husband returned, but somebody threw an object at her head. Her daughter managed to call her father, but by the time he returned, his family had all been massacred.

The head of the local police station has refused to register a case against the killers, saying: “Khan is an influential man, and he said your son has committed blasphemy – we cannot do anything against him.” The police officer added: “I am a poor man, I have a family, and I was pressured by higher authorities not to register the FIR [First Information Report].

From Egypt comes this bizarre story reported by the Los Angeles Times: a group calling itself Lawyers Without Shackles went to court to demand that the magical collection of tales contained in the Arabian Nights (or One Thousand and One Nights, as it is also called) be purified of its somewhat racy elements. A member of the lawyers’ group, Ayman Abdel-Hakim declared:

“The book contains profanities that cannot be acceptable in Egyptian society… We understand that this kind of literature is acceptable in the West, but here we have a different culture and different religion.”

Considering that this wonderful work has been entertaining (and titillating) Arab and non-Arab readers for centuries, it is hard to understand why Mr Abdel-Hakim and his colleagues have suddenly woken up to its stories which include Sinbad the Sailor, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves and Aladdin’s Wonderful Lamp. Fortunately, the case was thrown out by the court, perhaps because the publishing house against whom the case was filed falls under the umbrella of the government. Here, the Egyptian judge applied standards different from the ones used by the Lahore High Court when it shut down the social networking website Facebook, together with a number of other popular Internet sites. However, Egyptian Lawyers without Shackles appear to have a lot in common with Pakistan’s legal fraternity.

I could go on in this depressing vein, quoting from stories that have been sent to me by readers, but the ones I have cited here should suffice to make the point. For some reason, Muslims seem determined to prove to the world that they live in another century, on another planet. Pakistanis, in particular, appear to think they have a monopoly on religious zeal. Here, they demonstrate the fervour of converts who have a pressing need to show the world that they are better Muslims than anybody else.

The unfortunate citizens to bear the brunt of this religiosity are the minorities: it’s easy to prove your faith against the most vulnerable section of society. Ahmadis, Hindus and Christians are victimised with terrifying frequency, and as the state does nothing to halt this persecution, zealots like Maulana Mahfooz Khan are encouraged. He is no doubt boasting to his acolytes about how he upheld his faith against an 11-year old Christian boy.

Mercifully, Bangladesh is trying to reverse the tide of extremism that was unleashed by the previous government. But in most Muslim countries, intolerance is growing by the day. Yet Muslims living in the West demand ever-greater freedom to practise and spread their faith. Imagine the furore if a Muslim boy had been refused service in a shop in say, Birmingham, because of his religion. There would have been riots across the Islamic world had a Muslim family been slaughtered by a mob in a Western city. And yet when such atrocities happen (as they do, all too often) in our part of the world, they are met with official indifference and public silence.

I have often wondered about the people who carry out the sentence of stoning to death. What kind of person would willingly pick up a fist-sized stone from a pile in a public place and throw it at the head of the victim who has been buried neck-deep? What does it take to look at a helpless person before releasing the missile and seeing it crunch against a human skull? Can anybody undertake this cold-blooded act voluntarily and still claim to be a civilised human being?

The punishments mentioned in the Muslim scriptures also figure in the Old Testament, and ancient Jews no doubt applied them. But they fell into disuse centuries ago. It’s high time we put them to rest as well.

When a woman accused of adultery was brought before Jesus with the demand that he condemn her to death by stoning, he gently said to them: “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Rules are rules. Just because a rule is barbaric in the West, does not mean it is not productive in other parts of the world. In America, they sometimes sentence mental r****ds to death. Where is the dawn.com article about this?

3. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

As a Pakistani-American Muslim, I find these rules in all of these damn Middle Eastern countries and Pakistan to be r****ded and just cruel.

Nowhere in Islam does it say to stone someone to death for commiting adultery. While it is a sin, in Islam we condone any type of violence against anyone.

Bunch of punk ass extremists giving good muslims a bad name.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

1) There is no Muslim world. There is no Christian world. There is no Jewish world. It implies that Islam or Muslims is/are popularly supporting these laws or decisions. That isn't the case.

2) These are political issues. They are common across all dictatorships. Nothing unique about abuse of power. Islam does not support dictatorship btw.

3) Why didn't the guy post it himself?

5. saintcougar

saintcougar Member

What in the hell are you talking about man? "There is no Christian world...", there is Christian world, it's called America. I will absolutely and positively acknowledge that there are differences between the muslim, the jew, and the christian. Hey guys, you know what, my very best friends are a muslim and a jew and I don't need your god damn approval and quite frankly I don't really like those 2 mo fo's most of the time anyway but I still have love for them. Don't ever come through and say there is no "Christian World". However it is that you identify with God, when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter, but never forget that the USA was built upon Christian values no matter what the revisionists may say.

6. saintcougar

saintcougar Member

Mathloom, that's not at your post

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What is the only common link between the threatened stoning in Iran, the killing of an 11-year old boy and his family in Pakistan, the demand to re-write the One Thousand and One Nights in Egypt and so many more incidents and issues all over the world?

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The morality of an act is not predicated on the culture it stems from.

And in what context is stoning productive?

Since when do two wrongs make a right?

9. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Of course morality stems culture/religion/community/etc
    As a deterrent.
    He wasn't justifying one wrong with another. He was pointing out the hypocrisy of the OP.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are actually defending stoning?

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Is this a joke? Because it doesn't seem like he/she's defending stoning at all, just responding to a post by claiming that it's effective as a deterrent. Whether or not you agree with that (I don't think I do) is another matter, but c'mon...

12. PointForward

PointForward Member

Open up a ****ing history book, and check out Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin's views on organized religion before you come here spewing this crap. You probably don't even know who those two are do you?

13. PointForward

PointForward Member

And here comes ATW with another anti-muslim thread. We get it dude, you hate this religion and its people, you think everything that's evil in this universe originates from muslims. There's no such thing as "their culture is just bat$h!t insane!", it must be the fact that they're muslim that's making them do cruel things. Some african tribes indulge in female-circumcision and do some unspeakable crazy $h!t, but you don't care about them because they're not muslim.

I shall now take the Sam Fisher bucket-picture-posting route and suggest that everyone follow, at least we'll get a kick out of your threads.

I present you:
    [​IMG]

14. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

I take it you either attended bible camp as a kid instead of attending High School History..or you left your rational thinking mind somewhere a long time ago....because this statement you posted in wrong an so many levels.

How fitting! You happen to have a Jew and Muslim 'Best Friends". Yet.....in the same damn run-on sentence.....you say you don't like them most of the time. I can't bet they feel the same about you. Your whole 'friend' statement is probably the single dumbest thing I have ever read on this site.....

*In Saint's head* Revisionists = History books/books written by the founding fathers/the founding fathers/crazy liberals/history teachers/history students/Washington/Jefferson/Lincoln/Madison/Adams and his son/Franklin/Monroe.......

Shall I keep going?

15. Steve_Francis_rules

You forgot to mention that he'll have to leave Texas to find a history book that has those guys in it.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Inability of the population to do anything about it?

Open your eyes. This is a political issue exacerbated by the socio-economic conditions. If they were Christian, they would be committing atrocities in the name of Christianity. It would have nothing to do with Christianity.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What are you trying to achieve by posting this article, ATW? Does someone on this board deny that these activities take place? Is there a poster who defends the illicit incidences cited in the article? You have further perpetuated the stereotype against you...

However there is one good thing this thread has achieved: Proof that there most definitely IS outcry amongst Muslims against atrocious and reprehensible actions! Perhaps that was your intent?

18. Commodore

Values stem from culture, their merit does not. The virtue of stoning does not change with geography.

Hypocrisy would be if he approved of executing mentally r****ded people.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

And what is the ultimate standard we should be using to judge the merit of morals and values worldwide?

20. Commodore

You're own reasoning.