1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest suspension (UPDATE: Artest out for the season)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Khal80, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think they need to let pot back into the game. There were less fights when the drug testing was less strict. These guys need a little something to chill out on.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

LOL!!! Now THIS is a true, hardcore fan!

3. dback816

dback816 Member

htis is BS, i see no reason to suspend artest for the season.

im very unhappy now, i will now stop watching all non-rockets nba games in protest.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

something like this should happen. if pistons' fans can destroy indiana's season, they can certainly hurt detroit at least a little. if they get off scott free then this is just stupid (well stupider).

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Pistons management was excited about it and even was kind of petitioning for this while not ripping the fans at all. What a classless organization full of classless jerks. You can bet that I'm going to root against the Pistons all year long. They think they got an easier route to the championship. I guess if you can't beat them on the court celebrate them getting broke up. Detroit knew that Indiana was their biggest obstacle to the Finals. Anybody who comes out of the East is going to have a tarnished championship.

6. RocksMillenium

There's no way they're going to do jail time. And I'm guessing they'll willingly pay a few hundred dollars in fines now that they have increased their teams chances of winning a championship.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I still want to know who threw the cup to begin with? I know it wasn't the "deer in the headlights" guy. I don't think it was the big white guy with the hat who tried to stop Artest from beating that poor guy. I don't know who it was but I'm guessing the cops do. We need a pic of the guilty person.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

no way i wanna send the to PRISMS

9. RocksMillenium

I would expect the Pistons to reward their fans before they punish them. The NBA sure doesn't seem to be in a hurry to punish the Pistons organization for letting their punk fans run roughshod all over the building.

10. RocksMillenium

Did you see some of the guys swinging in the crowd that had nothing to do with it? Those guys should be in jail or prison on assault charges.

11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I think players and fans should be fitted with electronic exploding neck braces, a la Wedlock (Deadlock).
    If the players leave the court, their heads explode. If the fans leave the stands, their heads explode. Problem solved.

Or they can just put up wire fences or bullet proof glass in between the stands and the court.

12. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

This is absolute garbage. Jermaine Oneal for 25 games? Are you serious? That is just awful. He punched a fan that was on the court. I dont see baseball or football players getting suspended when they tackle or punch a fan on the field. Also, he was trying to get into the stands after someone threw a chair at him. To give him 25 games is ludicrous. Stephen Jackson's penalty is also absurd. 30 games for taking out that guy who threw a beer at Artest. That is terrible. Artest for the season is pretty out there too IMO. I could understand 20 games, or maybe even till the all-star break. But the whole season is simply awful. This just means I can now go to Dallas and San Antonio games and try to get all of their players suspended. JUST AWFUL.

13. clove

clove Contributing Member

to be fair, JO was in the stands when the chair was thrown at him.

14. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

Again, right after Artest punched the fan on the court one of the assistant coaches went in right after and hit the guy as he was on his knees. Where is his suspension? If the other assistant coaches can refrain why not him? He's supposed to be a figure of authority, not running with the gang. If I were the owner of the Pacers he would be in the unemployed.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Well espn just said they have been suspended without pay.

Artest 73 games 5.5 Million
    Jackson 30 Games 1.8 Million
    O'Neal 25 Games 2.5 Million

And stated that David Stern did say there is going to be something done to penalize fans as well. But he has not decided what.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I still think that the NBA should take a page from European soccer and make the Pistons play in an empty arena for a few games.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I saw that, where the coach in the brown suit continued to beat the crap out of the fan who went onto the floor to fight artest. Right before Oneal decked him.

This is BS....something better be done to Detroit. They jsut eliminated the Pacers.

18. diogenes

Ok so by your logic when Artest and Jackson enter the stands all 20,000 fans have the right to beat them down. Jermaine O'neal and Jackson got off easy. They had nothing to do with what was going on. They just had to step in and represent. I lost so much respect for O'neal. He sucker punched a fan who was on his knees who was in no way a threat. O'neal clearly ran a nice distance to hit the man. As that sequence is unfolding you can see Austin Croshere standing right in front aas O'neal rushes by him to sucker punch the fan. Croshere wasn't in any kind of defense mode but I'm supposed to believe O'neal was in fear...about 20 feet away from the melee and towards the end of the ordeal i might add.

19. sun12

sun12 Member

Rox should trade MoT or J. Howard for Artest.

20. diogenes

Yeah, that's the cowardly coach I was referring to. His unproffessionalism is utterly disgusting and how he escaped unscathed baffles me.