1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest suspension (UPDATE: Artest out for the season)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Khal80, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Artest clocking the first guy was 100% understandable, because there was no one in between them and that fan was clearly in a threatening position.

The other one was on the ground, surrounded by 3 security officials in a non threatening position. O'Neal came at him to retaliate, not in self defense or even to defend Artest.

2. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Did you actually watch the video? O'neal is up in the stands because his teammate got hit with a plastic cup with less than a 4th of beer in it. On the chest. So O'neal rushes up to the stands to deck some fans, and then runs cross court to bash some fan who isn't even looking at him. In my opinion O'neal is the worst of the bunch. He needed more than Artest.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

When do we play Indy?

4. clove

clove Contributing Member

I know. But it's just really hard to come up with cool R&B songs. Hip-hop has more Artestostrone.

My personal favorite is Artest singing "have you seen my childhood". lol, it's been in my head for at least an hour now.

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

has there been any response from the players association yet???

was JO up in the stands???

6. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

is this suspension confirmed? i found nothing on cnnsi.

edit: forget it, i found a link on yahoo here

#26 hoopgod13, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  7. clove

Nope and Yes. A chair missed him by like a foot while he was in the stands. I still can't get over the craziness. We are probably spoiled/deprived here depending on how you viewed the incidence. The Euros and South Americans(so tempted to use Mexicans) probably saw the brawl on TV, shakes their heads, and turns the channel to watch Friends.

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

some people here (and the other thread) are totally mixed up with the concept of self defense.

1) getting splashed with beer and countering with a punch in the throwers face, while in the real world would be considered fine, in the courtroom would not constitute self defense.

2) while a fan walking on the court can be deemed threatening, thus one would think its okay for a Pacer to sock them in the face to espn, lets put this in the context of the courtroom. 5'7 pale skinned 30 something fat hobbit steps on court, 6'10 260 lb black athlete millionaire hits him in the face claiming self defense. Texas law is slightly different, but overall, excess "self-defense" usually turns into assault and battery.

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Just heard it on ESPN that Ron Artest has been suspended for the whole season.

Stephen Jackson 30 games

J O'neil 25 games

Ben Wallace only 6 games (I dont get it. This guy started the mess)

Anthony Johnson 5 games

#29 RocketForever, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  10. codell

ESPN's front page just confirmed your post.

WOW :eek:

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I just heard that to. IMO S Jackson should be suspended for the rest of the year also. Good for Stern

12. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

so are the pecers screwed?

13. RocketForever

I think there is less than 1% of chance that Ron 'headcase' Artest will still wear a Pacers uniform next season.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm... player's association should fight that one. There's no precedent for that. Mad Max got 10 games. Spree was able to come back and play, when they tried to ban him.

I think after the posturing, the suspensions will play out somewhere around 10-20 games, depending on contact.

I'd love to trade Mo Taylor, JJ, Howard, Boki whatever for Ron Ron and trash now.

Please Larry Larry, Please Larry Larry, Please!

Imagine what that guy could do to when teamed with cooler heads in Tmac and Yao. That's the enforcer we need to have their back. I can see a good karma for him here like Sheed has had in Detroit.

The guys I'd love to get that really are gettable are Artest and Kurt Thomas. They'd just be really good role players for our stars. Throw in Antonio Daniels and you've got a team that's hard-nosed in the role-player spots and stunning with the finesse stars. That's exactly what we need.

15. walterw

walterw Member

Big Ben deserves at least half of the punishment Oneal got.

16. munco

munco Member

I thought 30 was too harsh. the whole season is absurd.

17. codell

pasox2,

How on earth would you want him now?

Dude just proved he is unstable and ended up taking the best player and 3rd best player on the team down with him.

He ruined the Pacers season, and you're willing to take a chance on him?

Unbelievable. and you want to trade 2-3 starters for him? :confused:

No one will control Artest. Just like no one could control Maxwell and no one could control Rodman. He will eventually hurt his teams with his antics.

18. munco

munco Member

I'd take the chance on Artest and I'm sure other GMs would too. Sprewell choked his own coach and he made it back. Artest can too.

19. clove

Wow!

Pacers are doomed.

20. RocketForever

Artest can be the mentor to Yao to become a thug.