1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Around the league Wells hopes Adelman helps him get another big offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Dec 9, 2007.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

Around the league Wells hopes Adelman helps him get another big offer
    Sunday, December 09, 2007
    GEOFFREY C. ARNOLD
    The Oregonian Staff

Bonzi Wells can only hope that a reunion with Rick Adelman will rejuvenate his career.

Wells has watched his career spiral downward since spurning a $37 million contract with Sacramento during the summer of 2006. He ended up signing with Houston, where his season with then-Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was so bad that he was deactivated for the playoffs, a move that enhanced Wells' reputation as a head case.

Wells wasn't sure if he would remain in Houston or sign with another team before the start of this season -- which would have been his fifth team in 10 seasons -- but changed his mind when Adelman was named coach of the Rockets.

"I was excited," Wells said. "He was one of the guys who really understood me and we had a great relationship in Sacramento."

Wells produced perhaps the best season of his career under Adelman in Sacramento during the 2005-06 season. Wells averaged 13 points and a career-high 7.7 rebounds during the regular season. He was dominant in the Kings' first-round playoff series against San Antonio, averaging 23.2 points and 12 rebounds in the six games.

Adelman has developed a reputation for helping players produce career-best seasons under his system and tutelage. Clyde Drexler, Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic are just a few of the players who reached new statistical heights under Adelman.

"He doesn't sit back and try to nag you about doing this or that. He just lets you be your own person and professional," Wells said. "That takes a lot of pressure off you, knowing you can just go in and do you job and not have to worry about a guy nagging you all the time."

Wells has struggled so far, averaging 7.9 points and 5.7 rebounds in his first 19 games. He did score a season-high 24 points in the Rockets' 105-92 win over Memphis on Dec. 5. He scored just five points against New Jersey but recorded eight rebounds and four steals.

"The biggest thing for him is he has got to attack," Adelman said. "He has to go to the boards, he can't be hesitant when he plays."

The 6-foot-5, 210-pound swingman is in the final year of the two-year, $4.4 million contract he signed with Houston and needs a big year to enhance his financial opportunities next summer. Should the Rockets or any other team offer him a big-money contract, Wells probably will jump at the opportunity.

He left the five-year, $37 million offer from the Kings on the table and said his former agent, Williams Phillips, didn't inform him of the offer. Wells fired Phillips and hired Bill Duffy to represent him.

"I never had a chance to (see) it," Wells said. "It was all my agent people trying to get more than what they could really get. I never knew about it."

The Rockets, with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming leading the way, have struggled in adjusting to Adelman's system. The players are still learning how to take advantage of Adelman's movement and passing philosophy, while Adelman is finding out that the Rockets don't run as much as he originally thought.

"Once we learn this offense and guys understand what they're supposed to do, we should be pretty good," Wells said. "I was only (in Sacramento) for a year. This is an offense where you have to be there for a few years and then you really know."

Brooks to D-League: Playing in just two games -- and for a total of four minutes -- wasn't going to help Aaron Brooks learn about the NBA. Knowing this, the Rockets sent Brooks to the team's NBA Development League affiliate to get some playing time.

Daryl Morey, the Rockets' general manager, said the guards in front of Brooks -- Rafer Alston, Mike James and Steve Francis -- are physically sound and it was likely that Brooks would continue to sit and watch . . . a lot.

"We strongly believe players improve by playing," Morey told the Houston Chronicle. "We feel the D-league is best for him."

Morey said the team will re-evaluate Brooks in mid-December, when the development league has a break in the schedule. Brooks said he is looking forward to playing for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

"It will be good to get out and play some games," Brooks said. "With the season we've got going, you don't really get a chance to get out and play. It's more of practice and walk-through."

Geoffrey C. Arnold: 503-221-8556; geoffreyarnold@news. oregonian.com. Catch his radio show, "Spirit in Sports," Sundays at 5 p.m. on KPDQ 93.9 FM

2. devin23

devin23 Member

LOL not gonna happen likely. Bonzi is 30+ now, and isn't getting any younger. He missed his chance in SAC town unfortunatly.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

RA and Wells can go have bumsex for all i care :mad:

send them both back to Sacramento.

Send Yao back to China, TMac back to Toronto, Scola back to Argentina, James back to Minnesota, Battier back to Duke and Alston back to the streets.

I am pissed off as hell with them all right now. Irrational statements are my favored coping mechanism.

4. magicwind

magicwind Member

really hate this m*f****. He only cares his money. tell u, if rockets not heading to conf. final, u never gonna have chance getting better offer than this one.

5. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

only if you can make those lay ups!!!!!!!

6. DrRafay

DrRafay Member

"This is an offense where you have to be there for a few years and then you really know."

man i dont want to wait a few more years for everything to click...we have been waiting for forever already for everything to click...i want some dang playoff success already!! its come to the point where all i want to see is this team at least get out of the first round...is that to much to ask??

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Like most on this Forum Bonzi is dreaming!
    Looking at the state of the rockets and the poor coaching, I see that it will be about another six years till the Rockets win a Championship.
    I hope to be able to live long enough to see it. Y :p

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bonzi blew that $38MM and will never see it again. No team will give him a long-term deal now because he's too old and too flaky.

9. mister pc

mister pc Member

you should probably work some more on how to take a loss gracefully. The team is going to be ironing out the kinks for a while longer so that they can be in top form for the playoffs. You are basically saying F Tmac and Yao (our best players) F our coach and all the role players just because they have lost a few games. Take some breaths and chill out a bit.

10. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

The reason Bonzi decided to stay with Adelmen, is the same reason Steve decided to return to the Rockets organization. They both made their decisions, knowing that they will be given the best opportunity to rejuvenate their careers. For Steve, rejuvenating his career here is a homecoming. For Bonzi, he just wants to get paid next year. Shame.

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

you all should have known this once bonzi decided to resign with us. it's his contract year.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Adelmen has given Bonzi a lot of minutes, probably more than he deserves. now it's up to him to start producing consistently...

13. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

At this point, i'll wait. Our "win now" attitude cost us DEARLY in the past. We gave away Rudy Gay for Shane, so we could win now :mad:

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

I hope he plays his *ss off this year and makes a big splash so we can trade him for a younger more athletic scorer.