1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arnett Moultrie

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Possum, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Why no love for this guy? Seems like a good fit to me.

link

Strengths: High-level athlete combo forward with excellent size and length. Versatile offensive skill set to score inside/outside (16.5 PPG). Could be seen as being big enough to play center in today's NBA. He possesses rare agility at 6’11 in tandem with a hunger for activity and relentless motor. Runs the court like a guard, with a fluid gait and long, easy strides. Nightmare matchup for opponents on the interior due to explosive quickness and elevation. Extraordinarily nimble and quick mover in the paint. He has added strength and bulk (225 to 240) without losing that calling card explosiveness. Uses his athleticism to earn high percentage looks (58%), elevating above defenders. Displays a deft touch and equally adept at finishing with his left hand. Electric spin moves in the post over either shoulder, preferring to attack baseline. Body control and hang time to make the appropriate in-air adjustments and alter release after a bump or if impeded. 83% free throw shooter on over 5 attempts (65% as sophomore). Rebounds at will on both the offensive and defensive backboards, ranking amongst the nation’s leaders with 10.8 per game. Quick leaper on multiple jumps while still retaining 1st jump lift. Utilizes his length and mobility to rebound out his direct vicinity. Flourished on the perimeter during his time at UTEP, albeit in a more liberal style of play. Comfortable in the mid-range with the ability to step out behind the three-point stripe. He has the potential to be an effective face-up weapon with a quick first step and long frame. Had a tendency to play in a “rushed state” early in his collegiate career, but has found an efficient pace his junior season. Doesn’t force shots and playing within a more defined role for the betterment of the team. He displays legit lateral quickness and foot speed to defend on the perimeter and not look like a fish out of water. Multiple position defensive adaptability. Mentally and physically a different player since arriving in the SEC.

:confused:

2. smr6

smr6 Member

I wouldn't be upset if we got him, but I think when we pick there will be better PF prospects still available which is why you don't see much talk about him here.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Looking at the impact Faried has last year for the Nuggets, this might be a role that Moultrie could play. This would be a good option for the Rockets if they could trade back. "High level" athletes with high motors and size are always a priority.

4. Possum

Possum Member

The difference between him and the other PF's ahead of him is that he is more than capable of moving over to C. He's exactly the kind of player we need to complement DMo.

5. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

i like this guy, I think his size,speed,athleticism, combo would be great when we go small especially against teams like the Griz and Dallas.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The only thing about that is that he's much more talented than Faried and he's a bigger body with more length, but I don't know if he has the same kind of motor.

7. Crank

Crank Member

Something about him that screams bust from just the eye test.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He is more talented. For all the talk of Faried, he is a role player. However I don't know that he has the motor or awareness of Faried.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Good thing we don't have to go by your eye test. :rolleyes:

No one knew anything about this guy coming out of college but he is definitely on a high rise up everyone's draft boards and is one of the most likely players to jump into the lottery.

I would make the comparison of Paul Milsap with 10x more athleticism. If we do stay at 14 & 16 I'd be more than happy coming away with him and a Terrence Ross.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Matter of fact I'll be bold enough to make the comparison to Rasheed Wallace minus the attitude.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Rasheed Wallace was one of the smartest players I have ever seen. He knew where all the other 9 players on the floor were and where they would end up as the play developed. He understood spacing and and the flow of the game. That was a huge part of why he was a good player, he did not rely much on his athleticism beyond his first 5 or so years in the league. It is unlikely Moultrie has the same intelligence Wallace had.

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I really like his game.. I honestly feel like he could be another Lamarcus Aldridge...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JQR4UJK7Hn8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. jvu

jvu Member

looks to me he has a great jumpshot. Probably the best releases out of all the incoming players.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Sheed developed the intelligence throughout his NBA career. He really showed that intelligence when he joined the Pistons and knew his own plus everyone else knew their own responsibilities on the defensive end. As you said for the beginning of his career with Portland he relied on his athleticism to make plays.

We don't really know if Moultrie has that same type of know how yet, since he hasn't played at that level yet, and if he does it may take some years for him to finally get it all together.

What I'm saying is they have the same type of game, can face you up, take you down low with a quick first step and can hit the outside jumper as well. If he becomes a Sheed lite even he'd be a definite steal in the late lottery with all those skills on top of his rebounding prowess.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LMNWeIR_VOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poor help defender.

Fails to hustle back on D when he doesn't get the ball.

Throws teammates under the bus.

Do not want.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Measurements are very good (nearly 6-foot-11 in shoes, wingspan/reach/vertical all impressive) and he's skilled... the rest seems correctable to me.

Not sure they would take him, but I think he's a sleeper pick at 16... I'm sure Daryl has done a lot of research on him.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Daryl's research = smoke screen!:p

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jordan Hill 2.0.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Wouldn't mind seeing:

#14 Pick - Tyler Zeller (7-0) Center
    #16 Pick - Arnett Moultrie (6-11) Power Forward

Move Out:

Martin, Scola, Budinger, Dalembert

Bring In:

Noah, Whoever Morey wants

P.G. - Lowry (6-0) / Dragic (6-3)
    S.G. - Dragic (6-3) / Lee (6-5)
    S.F. - Parsons (6-10) / Morris (6-9)
    P.F. - Motiejunas (6-11) / Patterson (6-9) / Moultrie (6-11)
    ..C. - Noah (7-0) / Camby (7-0) / Zeller (7-0)

This puts steep competition in the 4 and 5 spot and gives McHale the chance to see who's going to shut down the paint (old school style) and who's going to wuss out. Those that wuss out (Patterson) find themselves out the door. Camby is at the end of his career and we can develop Zeller and Moultrie in the meantime.

Just a thought

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jason Jones: Back at work...Kings workout...Moultrie injured his ankle and isn't chatting with the media. now