1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza's agent: go where 'appreciated'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Jul 3, 2009.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

From the sounds of it... the Lakers just missed out on their up and coming star. This would be like losing someone like Brooks I imagine. Funny how people think we "lost" Artest, when in actuality we stole Ariza and dumped our emotional baggage. Below is the article in the SF Chron.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/02/SPFU18IDCG.DTL

In a free-agent swap of forwards, the Lakers reached an agreement with Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest and the Rockets have reached agreement with Trevor Ariza, the Los Angeles Times has learned.

Artest met with Lakers executives throughout Thursday and agreed to terms of about $18 million over three years.

Ariza agreed to a five-year deal with the Rockets for about $33 million, roughly the same amount that the Lakers had offered in their effort to retain him.

"I had to do what was best for me and family," Ariza told the Los Angeles Times. "I am happy with my decision. I'm glad this all worked out. The Rockets are going to give me a chance to improve my game and that's all you can ask for."

Ariza's agent, David Lee, said the 24-year-old forward passed up a more lucrative contract offer from another team with salary-cap space. "We decided to go with Houston anyway," Lee said. "It was never about the money. It was about going someplace where you felt appreciated."

Artest, who will be 30 in November, enjoys the Los Angeles lifestyle and was a presence in the courtside seats for some of the Lakers' games in the NBA Finals.

He is still a formidable defender and averaged 17.1 points last season, though he will take a pay cut from the $7.4 million he made last season because the Lakers don't have as much money at their disposal when it comes to other teams' free agents.

The addition of Artest ended the Lakers' pursuit of Ariza.

"I understand that they did sign Ron Artest," Ariza said. "They did what they had to do. I understand it's a business."

THE KING'S MAN: Shaquille O'Neal and his oversized persona debuted in Cleveland with a stated goal for next season. His friend LeBron James craves a championship, and O'Neal is here to serve.

"My motto is very simple," O'Neal said. "'Win a Ring for the King."'

The 15-time All-Star center with four NBA titles was bedecked in a black suit, pink shirt and pink tie for an introductory news conference.

Acquired last week in a blockbuster trade with the Phoenix Suns, O'Neal was welcomed by a team that believes he can bring the title-thirsty region its first major pro sports crown in 45 years.

Flanked by Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown, O'Neal held court for nearly a half hour as only Shaq can. In front of an audience that included Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, media members, season-ticket holders, corporate partners and kids from a summer camp, O'Neal gave Cleveland fans their first glimpse of what's in store next year.

The 37-year-old O'Neal has one season at $21 million left on a five-year, $100 million contract. However, early in his remarks he said, "I've got three years left in my career," perhaps an initial attempt to persuade the Cavaliers to extend his deal past 2010.

"I have a lot left," he said. "There's only four or five good centers in the league and I'm in that number. ... I've been in it (the NBA) for 17 years but I've missed three years because of injury. If you do the math, I've still got three years left. You got that?"

WALLACE COURTED: Rasheed Wallace, the free-agent forward who spent the last five-plus seasons in Detroit, got the full-court press from the Celtics, according to a report in the Boston Globe.

Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck, team president Danny Ainge, coach Doc Rivers and All-Stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, all met with Wallace for three hours in Detroit.

The Celtics are reportedly offering a contract using the mid-level exception.

DALLAS-BOUND: Magic free-agent center Marcin Gortat was scheduled to fly to Dallas after giving the Mavericks a verbal commitment to sign an offer sheet with them next week, according to ESPN.

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Gortat should do the same. Is it too late if we keep bombarding the "rocketsfanslovegortat" email?

3. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

hopefully he can match up with his contract...

4. mic

mic Contributing Member

Sounds like it's a done deal.

5. rocketman5803

rocketman5803 Member

gortat and his agent said "it depends on money",now we are out...

6. phishphreak

phishphreak Member

Gortat is not the answer at all.. Would much rather have a Tyson Chandler type, but I really do not want Gortat

7. rocketsmetalspd

Gortat will get to see the Rockets 4 times this season to bad he will be wearing a Mavs uniform.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shaq does the math...

9. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

go where appreciated? obviously money's a huge factor for everyone,but once this team starts losing as it will, trevor's mind will be elsewhere........get ready for stromile swift part 2

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Doesn't matter what way you cut it, Lakers "stole" Artest at $18 million for 3 years. They get to keep their core, resign odom, and signed Artest for what we paid for Stromile Swift; the MLE. They did all this by signing him to a relatively short contract at 3 years, low risk high reward.

We paid close to true value for Ariza which is around $5~7 million. Not the $8~10 million some people were saying, that's just championship inflation talk. Ariza should produce as much as his contract is worth. But $33 million over 5 years is by no means a "bargain" or a "steal".

11. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

You know how hard it will be for Ron to keep his nose clean in LA for 3 years? You do relize that TMZ has that whole town on lockdown and everything is caught on tape. This has potential to blow up that whole team. Thanks Ron!

12. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Are you serious..... :rolleyes: I had no Idea deal Ariza and Swift were the same person. I didn't know that Swift up his stats in the PLAYOFFS as well as the FINALS and also has a ring. Don't you dare compare the 2 of them :mad: you have no idea how anyone will turn out.

13. phishphreak

phishphreak Member

Didn't think about the "tmz factor"... yeah i hope Ariza doesn't turn out to be Stromile v2.0

14. krnxsnoopy

Ron will be ok. TMZ is the last thing he'll worry about. If it pans out, Laker's just got an upgrade over Ariza and have a chance to contend for championships year in and year out for the next three years, while Kobe, Gasol, Ron are still in their prime. If it doesn't they can ship him out as plenty of teams will be willing to take Artest at $6 million a year; barring any Palace of Auburn Hills-type spectacle. Regardless he comes off the books in three years.

Ariza for 5 years? If he flops, good luck trying to move that contract!

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes. We just spent our MLE on Ariza. We have nothing to offer Gortat but the veterans minimum. Regardless, he's a restricted FA and Orlando can and will match any reasonable offer so he'll likely remain with Orlando unless Dallas' offer is just ridiculous.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would like to see Noah instead,even though he is a PF/C. He is a better defender than Gortat despite not being anywhere near the latter's strength and also not being as athletic as him either. Noah can probably score roughly in the same ballpark as Gortat too,at least for now.

17. Asian Sensation

Lakers would've competed for a championship the next three years regardless.... whether they had Artest or Ariza. I think Ariza brought more to the table for them and with far less risk. If I'm a Lakers fan I'm thinking why mess with something good?

Artest for 3 years? If he reverts to old Ron, good luck trying to defend that championship!

18. krnxsnoopy

Why mess with something good? Why not, if you can make it better? Ariza brings LESS to the table than Ron. As much as Ron chucks, Ariza's shot is suspect and most of his shots came from Kobe being double-teamed. Wide-open shots. Those same shots Ron has proved he can also make. Ron brings a tough defender who can guard stronger SFs the likes of Pierce, Carmelo, etc. that Ariza had trouble with. Ron can also guard quicker players like Brandon Roy as you saw in the playoffs.

And you ask why mess with something good? Cause every other team is making changes and you can't just stand pat. Orlando has improved and Cleveland has made changes as well. Look at what happened to Boston after they won their championship. They thought they could coast to the Finals. Making minor changes, and an upgrade at that, can give a new focus to the team. They will have to take training camp more seriously and Ron will let them know everyday 1 ring is not enough.

Artest is less risk at 3 years and at the MLE. I have yet to see any indication of Ron reverting back to old Ron but you're talking about it as if it's a fact. You mention Ron's worst case scenario, yet ignore Ariza possible failure. All things equal, I'll take a 3 year commitment over a 5 year commitment.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So we beat out Portland? Interesting....

20. HTR99

HTR99 Member

You mean Toronto.