1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza said Morey told him before free agency he wouldn't be back with the team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Dec 19, 2018.

1. smp

smp Member

I only judge him on what he's done since acquiring Harden. That's when the window opened. Since then he's put together a team/staff which got to the WCF twice, only to lose to one of the best teams ever.

It's hard to hold that against anyone. Nobody has been coming out of the West other than GS. Morey is the only GM to put together a team that can even give them a little scare in a 7 game series.

BaselineFade and harold bingo like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey blames him for game 7. And Morey's probably right. Ariza's shooting performance is a big reason why we lost that game.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

So what? This is business.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm glad Morey wasn't interested in spending crazy luxury tax for Mr. 0-12. Now, the Rockets have found their groove without both Ariza and Mbah a Moute.

If Gordon was a free agent after his piss poor Game 7, Morey probably wouldn't have re-signed him either.

steddinotayto likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gordon is continuing with his streaky performances, shooting 22% from 3 during this 5 game winning streak.

6. Asian Sensation

Guys... some key dates in regards to this past summers Free Agency timeline:

Key NBA Offseason Dates

June 29: Last day for players and teams to exercise or decline contract options for the 2018-19 season

July 1: New league year begins; Free agents and teams can verbally agree to deals

July 6: Free-agent moratorium ends, allowing players to officially sign contracts and trades to be completed

The suns out of all the FA’s they could’ve gone after offered Trevor Ariza $15M for 1 year on JULY 1st. Of course he and his agent verbally agreed (more like jumped) on the deal with the quickness.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ree-to-1-year-15m-contract-with-suns.amp.html

Oh and there’s this for what it’s worth.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....-meeting-with-rockets-in-free-agency.amp.html

There’s no way Morey or anyone associated with the Rockets didn’t want him back. If anything he knew Ariza would get a nice offer from someone (def not $15M nice) and we had other important priorities to take care of first so he was probably just being courteous and was upfront IF he even had a chance to tell Ariza. NOBODY could’ve predicted Ariza would get $15M on day 1.

Ariza was unrestricted. He could’ve signed with ANYBODY if he really wanted to. Like I said he jumped on the money and didn’t think twice.

craguin, TMac'n, tc0330 and 3 others like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

STOP. STOP. JUST STOP. YOU'RE MAKING TOO MUCH DAMN SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tc0330, Asian Sensation and Deckard like this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Please leave the political crap out of the GARM. It's a hell of a way to start the day. Besides, @Clutch seriously doesn't want to see it here or anywhere else on the BBS, unless it's in D&D (and he doesn't frequent D&D much, either - can't say that I blame him). An FYI well meant.

Deuce, tc0330 and mikol13 like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think Trevor Ariza doesn't want to get a Greedy Reputation, it's too late now, at Phoenix he leaves practice early and doesn't care about his teammates. The Rockets Role Players hate Ariza and especially ESPN Media, the Rockets embarrassed Ariza "Elite Defender" Reputation. Blaming Daryl is a low point for Trevor Ariza.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

makes sense. there's absolutely 0 reason for ariza to even lie in this situation. he doesn't benefit in anyway and solidifies why he took the offer so quickly along with the other reports. Good for Ariza. Both sides did what they did. he isn't bad mouthing anyone. no ill will. its a business and obviously he understands that

kjayp likes this.
  11. acjeitherocket

0/12 in game 7 is why

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Put Pringles on a team without an elite PG, see how genius and revolutionary he would be!

kjayp likes this.
  13. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

In Morey, I WILL always trust.

The truly bad guy is his agent fostering him into money over ring, over team. Personally, I would take the money, but I wouldn't tell people that my former team didn't love me because I stole money from a team.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

that makes complete sense

15. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Even before Ariza signed with the Suns I posted that he wasn't coming back and it was a basketball decision.

Ariza doesn't hate the Rockets. The Rockets do not hate Ariza.

It all came down to money. Ariza is older and wanted (understandably) more money than the Rockets could offer.

So Ariza's agent found him a $15,000,000 deal and Ariza took it.

It had nothing to do with Game 7, and it had nothing to do with Ariza hating Morey.

The Rockets did not want to pay around $40,000,000 for a season of Ariza, the Rockets were hoping to trade for a third star, and felt they could find a replacement for Ariza in free agency.

End of story.

craguin, Deuce, TMac'n and 4 others like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Meanwhile Luc Mbah a Moute does not give interviews.......therefore no threads dedicated to him :D

#76 daywalker02, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Nook likes this.
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If it truly happened like that then that's a bad look, but I'm sure there's more context. Morey strikes me as a guy who's upfront and logical, so there was probably a bit more to that discussion regarding finances.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I get why you have to talk in code, I appreciate you doing all that you do for us, so don't take this the wrong way, but the code is killing me!

[​IMG]

My guess is Morey didn't say this after game 7, he said it June 30th, if it's true at all. I could see Morey easily saying we can't match that price... Nor should we.

Now trading for Trevor with that price tag isn't bad, especially if you can send the ghosts of Ryno for him.

heypartner likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing bad about it. morey is being straight up with ariza. and ariza deserves that much. both sides telling it like it is

20. vick

vick Member

0 for 12. If he hit 3 for 12 He would have been a Hero. Now he is dead to me.