1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ariza] Alright, who is ready to eat crow?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Nov 4, 2014.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it wasn't. realistically basketball wise, once ariza was signed that pretty much shut the door on CP being retained. if you actually believe differently then that's on you.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It was an option. An option that the Rockets chose not to use. Morey didn't think it was enough to make us a contender, but it was an option.

The window is closing on the Howard and Harden era in Houston, so I would have gone all in this year. I would have added as much talent as possible and then signed Parsons is his contract. You can argue that it wouldn't have been enough and it would have been a bad decision. But you can't say it wasn't an option.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

I hated to see Parsons leave. Especially to Dallas. Luckily, the more that he has talked since he has left has it made it easier and easier to see him go.

But I always thought that Ariza would fit in for our team really well. His perimeter defense and 3-point shooting are exactly what we needed from that spot.

Yes it has only been 4 games. And yes it has been against weak competition. But so far, at least, it has looked like he fits our rotation even better than I was imagining. Not to mention he is on a team-friendly, decreasing deal.

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

It was an option.

Then what would you do? Play Ariza at the 3 and Parsons at the 4? Have one of them come off the bench? And pay a bench player 8-15mil?

It was an option. At the time, I wasn't sure what the best move would have been. But I am sure glad that we went with Ariza and Papa for a combined 12mil instead of Parsons for 15.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

not a realistic option so I don't take that into consideration. so yes I say it wasn't an option. You say the window in closing, when the best player on the team is just now entering his prime and has yet to peak. going all in this year with that team based on this window closing would have been a terrible idea.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think it was actually, but my memory may be off.

I believe we used cap space in a sign and trade to acquire Ariza. I don't believe we could have done that while keeping Parsons.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Ariza to the championship

8. Rip Van Rocket

Dwight can leave after next season, so yes, the window is closing on Harden and Howard. I think Ariza and Parsons on the same team was a realistic option, so we disagree.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you believe he's actually leaving then yup we disagree on that as well and thats fine.:cool:

10. Rip Van Rocket

I'd we were planning to sign Bosh, and then sign Parsons. Then we could have easily signed Ariza and then signed Parsons. Right?

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nobody is going to admit it (people like keeping their jobs) but if Clutch reports that it happened then I absolutely believe that is how it went down.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/7680/...rd-agent-agreement-chandler-parsons-contract/

"The problem is this — the Rockets were well aware of everything I just outlined in making their choice. They just had no choice. By letting Parsons out of his contract, the Rockets were simply honoring an agreement they made with his agent in 2013 when they signed Dwight Howard."

12. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Make the trade.. use bird rights to resign Parsons.. it was available, not necessarily an option

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is interesting that Ariza has had such a profound effect on the defense. But it makes sense. The Rockets have two mediocre defenders surrounded by three excellent defenders. And let us all face it, Parsons has not been a plus defender since his rookie season.

The Rockets have no trouble scoring. And they certainly were not competitive with the 13th ranked NBA defense. Parsons was a dead end for this team. Ariza is a much better fit. This year may be different. A top five defense and a top five offense are almost prerequisites for a championship. We will see. Soon.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Here are you are again with your pompous cocky attitude. Clutch reported there was an underhand deal and everything that happened suggested that. Do you think Morey is stupid enough not to use the option at $1MM?

Clutch is as close to the organization as anyone here will ever be and he wouldn't just report something like that without concrete evidence.

If you continue like this, you'll be forced to take another self timeout. ;)

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It was a realistic one and Morey said as much. The Rockets could have matched Chandler and then traded Ariza before the deadline. Or if Morey thought Chandler as a stretch 4 was a good move it was an option to keep him.

You seem to be confusing best/good move and a realistic move. It's not realistic that we could trade Howard for LeBron while it wouldn't be a good move to trade Howard for Wade.

1 person likes this.
  16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolute pure speculation. No facts. Nothing to back up the story. Like so many different subjects that ClutchFans weigh in on. Put out to the public some baseless point of view and then let the pile on ensue. It is remarkable how crowds reinforce their own views, regardless of the facts.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Or, alternately, from an ideal 20/20 hindsight, the Rockets could have just picked up Parsons $1M option. Voila! Parsons and Ariza on the same team!

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What would be the reason for Clutch to write that story if he didn't have good information from a pretty reliable source?

19. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

It was "technically" an option but logistically I dont think it was. Doubt Ariza would have wanted to come off our bench when he could have had a bigger role on another team.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The most logical answer to that is to believe Clutch's Dwight handshake agreement with Fegan. Letting Parsons out makes little sense otherwise but maybe Morey just suddenly became stupid.