1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster injures groin

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Aug 4, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Wilson has good sources.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Arian Foster surgery considered successful, per sources, outlook is two to three months, likely to be placed on IR-designated to return</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/629710140342685696">August 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

yeah we haven't heard anyone on the inside suggesting a quicker timetable for recovery, looks like Foster really will miss 8 games to start the season.

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I think they take the remainder of TC to see how his healing progresses, and then decide to place him on IR/DesigToReturn. If it looks like he'll make a quicker recovery and you feel like he'll be useful before week 10.

I mean 2 months post surgery puts you at around after week 4 against the Falcons. Then you have 3 out of 4 games against division rivals. Then the bye week and then you get Cinci.

October 8th could be pushing it but if he's full go by then it would be great, considering the game is Thursday night against the Colts. 4 day turn around, and you place a full fresh Foster in the lineup against the Colts. Not a bad idea if he's healthy.

Big wait and see game from here on out sadly.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That Grantland article does raise an interesting point: Have we seen the last great season from Foster? He's about to turn 29 and is likely to finish 2015 with just two 16 game seasons in seven years due to injury. His cap hit next year is $9.5M and the Texans could save up to $7M by trading or releasing him. If this team performs down to my somewhat skeptical expectations, the time may be right for them to move on from Foster.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not if he rushes for 1200 yards in 8 games. ;)

Even though he has only 2 full seasons, he has had 4 seasons with over 1200 yards rushing. And he always has a few more hundred years receiving. There is nothing that we have seen that tells us he is not a top back when he is on the field. Problem is do you take the chance that he might not get on the field.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Despite some reports. Was told it is a better scenario that first believed for Arian Foster. With proper rehab looking 4-6 weeks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/629769435482451968">August 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

I don't know who to trust, but I like hearing that.

7. Airdough

Airdough Member

If true, that puts PUP back in play. Even if it's 6 weeks, hope they don't throw him in for 30 touches a game when he returns and that one or two of the other backs proves worthy of sharing touches in the backfield.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If true, 6 weeks from now is September 18th, right before game 2 of the season. If it takes a full 6 weeks to get him back up and running around, he could potentially be back for week 3 of the season.....that would be phenomenal.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And for Braddock fans....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans scrambled for a RB (Pierre Thomas) but after the positive outlook may stay firm &amp; hope to only miss 1-3 games w/o their top back.</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/629773360327557120">August 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

fingers crossed, but highly skeptical. At minimum I foresee them taking it safe and sitting him out 6 games.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The reports of him recovering sooner rather than later plays into my previous thoughts.

Sit him all of preseason (4 weeks) and then the first 4 weeks of the year. Total of 2 months of down time, and have him ready to go for the Thursday night game against the Colts. That would be completely ideal and from what is being said not totally out of the realm of reality.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

pray to God this happens
    (all puns intended)

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep.. Also thought that the recovery time was grossly exaggerated. Just how it is these days.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

So lets just say he makes it back for the last 8 games. You guys talk like he is gonna kick ass and take names, not going to happen. If and when he gets back he will be rusty and will likely get hurt yet again.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it's a 4-6 week recovery timetable, like several people have suggested recently, that has him back potentially for the 2nd game of the year even at the max of 6 weeks. You could go slow with his recovery and bring him back slowly over an extra two weeks to get his conditioning back and that would still be only the 4th or 5th game of the season.

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

I think even 8 weeks is optimistic but then staying healthy is the big if. I just hope one of the others can step up bigtime.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well others are saying that it's not. Also, there's a really high rate of success for this surgeon, once it's fixed, it almost always stays fixed. Hey I've bashed Braddock a LOT over the years, but in the past year, he's been right a lot more than he's been wrong, and he's not the only person saying they are hearing 4-6 weeks....also Braddock is usually pessimistic when it comes to the Texans.

Personally I think that optimism is warranted.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

I just don't want us being tied to the health of Foster is all. I'm hoping he comes back and contributes but hopefully by then we will have fallen in love with his replacement.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's understandable, and honestly I don't think the success of the Texans is as tied to the health of Foster as many do. That said, there's no question that a healthy Foster is a huge boost to any team so the longer he can be healthy this season, the better.The Texans haven't won a game where they scored less than 17 points since December of 2012....and they finally have a defense good enough to where it could happen again.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

When Foster plays healthy or not.

He is an elite back.

There is truly one better back than him(Adrian Peterson) and that is about it.

Foster does it all.