1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster admits he took money in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Sep 20, 2013.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dude got paid ONLY FOR FOOD. Not for luxury cars, or housing, or whatever. And you guys are bagging on him for that? Wow. I think we all forget here that laws don't always coincide with morality. Was it technically against NCAA rules for him to take money for food? Sure, morally if he doesn't have anything to eat would you understand him accepting it? Of course.

Doesn't make him a bad person, and it certainly doesn't warrant any punishment now. Where was all the hate when Derrick Rose cheated on his SATs?

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I can't believe people here believe the whole student athlete stuff. I can't think of a bigger exploitation in non-professional sports than those of college football players. Make tons of money for your university and yet you can't afford to eat.

The whole system is corrupted and geared to line the pockets of universities. If your love for your alma matter is too deep to let you see how they exploit the players playing for the university you are missing the big picture.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

NCAA athletes should be comped for housing and food.
    I'm even in favor of allowing football/basketball/etc. to be a major and have them take personal finance classes and maybe some business-oriented classes rather than have them take BS majors and earn a useless degree that they will never need.

Obviously not everyone in the NCAA will go pro, but the option to major in their sport should be provided, at the very least.

4. platypus

platypus Member

Again I see the CF high horse sitters have come out in full force.

Seriously some of you think he needs to get BENCHED for speaking his mind? Aldon Smith gets a DUI and Possession for mar1juana and he will still start sunday and you guys wanna give arian **** for saying something post people already agree with?

If i can get a stipend for being a freaking Teaching Assistant at UH why can't an athlete who makes the university a **** ton of money get a stipend as well? Are these kids not people too?

And don't give me that BS about how they're getting a free education. Most of these kids are encouraged to pursue degrees like "media" or "communications", degrees that won't even land you a job that pays <40000 a year.

1 person likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

Here is an article proving how college athletes are paid $17,000 in cash each year... all within the NCAA rules.

The guy who wrote the article says he worked in the athletic departments at Arkansas and Baylor. Here is a summary:

The typical non-freshman Arkansas football player received the cash listed below in 2010-11:

$5,500- Pell Grant
    $500- Clothing Fund
    $8,024- Fall and Spring Room and Board
    $3,016- Summer Room and Board

$17,040- Grand Total

The gist of his article is that players get Pell grants each year. Since it is a grant, it never has to be paid back.

If you get a Pell grant, you are also awarded $500 for clothing each year.

They also get money to live off campus. At Arkansas, it was $4,021 for Fall semester, $4,021 for Spring, and $3,016 for the summer months.

That is $11,058 per year for rent.

He says a nice apartment in Fayetteville around the campus costs about $415 per person for a 2 bedroom apartment. So for a full year, that is $4,980... and that leaves $6,078 left to do whatever with for the year.

So they are getting $6,078 from the left over rent money, $5,500 from a grant, and $500 for clothes. Adding that up, that is $12,078 for the year after your rent, tuition, books, food, etc. are all paid for. That's an extra $12,078 left over for gas, food, clothes, leisure, whatever.

That's $1,006 per month left over after rent is paid.

AND, they get money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional (legal) meals provided by boosters, which you can read more about in the article:

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football-players-receive-17000-annually-in-cash-all-within-ncaa-rules/

Long story short.... Arian Foster is full of it.

6. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

why dont they do it like the government army? pay room and board (?) and also a small salary.. some of them are married/have children they need to provide for

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Students on academic scholarship, or any other type of scholarship that's not an athletic one, are free to take money or other benefits from anyone willing to give it to them. I'm sure if athletes were allowed to do the same, like any other student, then they wouldn't have an issue with the system. In Fosters case, if he is telling the truth, the student on academic scholarship can receive food money from whoever wants to give it to him. Foster can't.

#127 Icehouse, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I never said athletes shouldn't. If you go look at my first post, I mentioned that. I said they should not receive a salary for playing on the football team. They are compensated for that.

9. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Well then you wait a few more hours to eat. You're not going to die. Secondly he should've been smart enough to take a slice of pizza or a sandwich back to his place for situations like that. He clearly had a fridge. Are people from Tennessee really that dumb?

My cafeteria was open 24 hours. If he was really that poor he should've gone to a different school. Im also surprised he doesn't have friends who had fridges stocked up with food. I'm not spoiled, but I'm really not buying into his story of not having access to food. He managed to eat in high school, right? Or did his coaches come over and cook for him?

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yup, the NCAA is a bunch of good folks looking out for student athletes and always has the student athletes best interest in mind.

NCAA gets sponsors like AT&T, Capital One, Coca Cola, All State, UPS, Fed Ex, etc..., all for the the kids.

Also, BCS, Football Bowls, March Madness, all for the kids.

God bless the NCAA!!!

11. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

How much money does a regular student make for a university? A star athlete on the other hand brings in millions of dollars in terms of jersey sales tv deals etc etc... Just giving them enough money to get an education while all the fat cats , coaches make million dollar salaries is unamerican and should be banned. If you worked for a company that made millions based on your work and in return all you got was 40k a year and a meaningless 4year degree that dont get you anywhere would you be happy?

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Comparing a regular student to a star seems honest. Regular students as a whole are subsidizing athletics programs all across the country.

13. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Foster is an attention w****. This is what it comes down to

1 person likes this.
  14. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Not football or basketball.. rowing, lacrosse, tennis etc sure but at most big schools football and basketball programs pay for themselves several times over. I was just pointing out that a star football player or a star basketball player is not "everyone else" as the OP said. They are different because they make the university a ton of money.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe, but college sports is a ####ing scam and the exact opposite of what it claims to be.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I agree with Arian about the issue but I totally disagree with his methods. The only party that could have a negative backlash is University of Tennessee. Not Arian. Not the NCAA. No. Just the hand that helped Arian when he needed. Way to bite the hand that fed you. If he had spoken out about the issue without throwing his school under the bus, I would have totally loved it.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

It doesn't matter keep his mouth closed about it.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight='0' scrolling="no" src="http://hub.video.msn.com/embed/dcb7a513-5eee-433c-b8bf-b4a70396d805/?vars=bGlua292ZXJyaWRlMj1odHRwJTNBJTJGJTJGbXNuLmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20lMkZ2aWRlbyUzRnZpZGVvaWQlM0QlN0IwJTdEJmNvbmZpZ05hbWU9c3luZGljYXRpb25wbGF5ZXImc3luZGljYXRpb249dGFnJmxpbmtiYWNrPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbSUyRiZta3Q9ZW4tdXMmZnI9c2hhcmVlbWJlZC1zeW5kaWNhdGlvbiZjb25maWdDc2lkPU1TTlZpZGVvJmJyYW5kPWZveHNwb3J0cw%3D%3D">
    <A href="http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=dcb7a513-5eee-433c-b8bf-b4a70396d805&src=v5:embed:syndication:&from=shareembed-syndication" target="_new" title="Players Only: Arian Foster's NCAA controversy">Video: Players Only: Arian Foster's NCAA controversy</A>
    </iframe>

19. Raven

Raven Member

Why not wait until the offseason to blab about this?

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It was during the offseason, the documentary is just now coming out.