1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster admits he took money in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Sep 20, 2013.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Arian's weaknesses are starting to show. :eek: First COMPLAINING about playing time out loud AND on the playing field AND on camera, now this.
    Because you're throwing your university under the bus, Arian.

THIS. :eek: Also, it will have a negative impact on his performance on the field.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, he was clearly exaggerating for effect. How does one with a meal plan not have anything to eat?

Hell, when I was in college, I could survive on $5/day if I needed to. Ramen noodles, mac and cheese, hamburger helper (minus the hamburger), JITB tacos, etc.

And those meal plans are all you can eat. There were times you went to lunch and ate enough to last you the whole day.

Sorry, it's literally impossible for a college student to be so hungry that he's forced to "do something stupid" to eat.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

how?? in order for it to effect his performance it would have to bring on enough anxiety. foster doesn't care if people know. if he did he would have said it

#63 fallenphoenix, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]HOUSTON -- Houston Texans running back Arian Foster says he isn't scared of the NCAA, and hopes his revelations about being paid while playing in college at Tennessee will change rules about amateurism in college athletics.

"I just feel strong about the injustice that the NCAA has been doing for years," Foster said Friday in Houston. "That's why I said what I said. I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus. ... I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. They're like these big bullies. I'm not scared of them."

"I don't know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation -- my senior year (2008), I was getting money on the side," Foster said in the video. "I really didn't have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, 'Man, be careful.' But there's nothing wrong with it. And you're not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

Foster went on to describe a situation when he had no food or money and called a coach.

"Either you give us some food or I'm gonna go do something stupid," Foster recalled telling him.

The coach brought Foster and three others 50 tacos, Foster said in the documentary while chuckling at the thought that that the action constituted an NCAA violation.

Foster played at Tennessee from 2005 to 2008 under Hall of Fame coach Phillip Fulmer. Foster said Friday he never took money from coaches, but there were always people around the program willing to help him financially. Andrew Muscato, a documentary producer, says Foster didn't specify how much he received.

Foster said Friday he considered the repercussions of his actions and how they might impact Tennessee, which is on NCAA probation through Aug. 23, 2015. He decided the rewards were greater than the risks.

"Look at the attention it's getting," Foster said. "They really have us hoodwinked into thinking taking money is wrong as a college athlete. It's wrong for us but it's not wrong for them. I guarantee every NCAA official has a (BMW) or Benz or something. That's not wrong, but it's wrong for me to get $20 to get something to eat? Dez Bryant couldn't get taken out to dinner by Deion Sanders, his mentor, he sat out a whole season because of that? That's not wrong? But if you can drive around in a Benz, that's OK? It's not right."

The NCAA suspended Bryant in September 2009 for the rest of that season for lying about having lunch with Sanders.

Asked if his financial situation got more difficult after he stopped living in dorms and eating from the dining hall, Foster said it was worse when he lived on campus.

"I think my check was like $87 a month in dorm rooms," Foster said. "You had meals Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday you had to fend for yourself. I guess that's what the $87 was for. At the end of the month you don't have any money, your family can't send you any money, a lot of those guys -- 80 percent of the team is made up of kids from the inner city."

Foster disagreed that a "free education" was a just reward, saying the education wasn't free because college athletes put in just as much work as professional athletes.

"Except I can go make money off of my name," Foster said. "I can go get a side job if I really wanted to. The NCAA takes away your constitutional rights as an American of not being able to go get a job."

He called for an end to what he considers the guise of amateurism in college sports.

Said Foster: "It's just amazing to me that adults let this go on."[/rQUOTEr]

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

who cares, the scam starts when over half these guys are admitted to colleges they are no where near qualified to attend

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If room and board was included...why was Arian hungry and paying rent?

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It will have negative impact on his focus. He will be investigated and it will take time away from the team. Ben Tate will take over now. :eek: He will have more yards than Arian Foster from here on. Book it and get back to me at the end of this season, barring injury to either one.

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

what's to investigate? he already said he took money. if they want to know more he'd just tell them. no focus loss at all. i don't doubt his production is going to suffer, but to me that's unrelated to this. his efficiency has been dropping every year.

9. MystikArkitect

Damn Arian....shut up bro.

10. Asian Sensation

Univ Of Ten provided Arian a fully paid opportunity to play for them so he could one day be a Pro NFL player. Of course Arian made the most of his opportunity and had some luck on his side to be where he's at today but it wouldn't have happened if UT didn't give him the chance to show what he could do. Some 5 years and $40+MILLION dollars later Arian wants to complain about an NCAA official driving a BMW or Benz when he could have his own fleet of them? **** it... he could have his own Benz Dealership if he wanted yet he's got sour grapes over everything that was provided for him.

For as philisophical as Foster claims to be he sure comes off as an oblivious douche.

11. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Big props to Arian not just making his money as an NFL player going home and retiring into the sunset. He sees something is broken in the college system and he comes out and brings the information out. College is overrated it does not make you smarter, it costs too much money and you cannot earn money as a player when they are profiting of your name and star status.

The one thing I have always loved about Arian is that he feels he needs to be a transformative figure to help the future youth out so they don't have to go through what other countless youth in college sports have gone through.

Good Job Arian. Plus Arian is a baller this will have no impact on the Texans games in the future!

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

No they won't. At least the NCAA won't. Why would they? Free labor. Only way college students get paid is if the leagues drop out of NCAA and start their own league. That woul be terrible too! It would become minor league nfl and the ones not lucky enough to get to the big league are left with out a degree.

13. TheDr34m

plus it is all part of the system to make all students in debt from the start out of college. They have to work and enslave themselves into the system in order to pay their tuition back.

Get a Loan

Get a degree

Get a Job (be in debt for 100,000 or so depending on college)

Don't pay ruin credit have your pay garnished and if you do pay you will be paying for a while.

By the time college is paid off. Get married.

Get a 30 year loan for a mortgage be in debt again.

Of course during those 30 years you probably cycle through about 5 or 6 cars get loans be in debt pay off the car. Blah blah.

Word to the wise be responsible with your financial affairs it will come back to bite you!

14. TheDr34m

The system is designed to have you in the red and in debt and never on top because most folks are not responsible and Arian Foster is a genius for acknowlegding it and speaking out about it.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Eh. I normally like it when pro athletes don't sugarcoat things (e.g. Barkley), but the more Arian runs his mouth...about this money at Tenn, about his playing time, etc etc...the less I like him. The guy comes across as an entitled *******.

His subpar production on the field lately isn't helping either.

16. ThaShark316_28

1 page thread if Tate said this.

17. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Colleges can still play amateur football and offer scholarships. There's nothing stopping them from doing both at the same time.

From the way things are looking, lawsuits are about to cripple the NCAA anyway.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Tate wouldn't say this. I'm glad we have Tate.

19. Asian Sensation

Arian didn't need a loan.
    Arian got his degree for free.
    Arian has a great job and he's set for life. He has no debt.
    He probably doesn't have a mortgage. He probably paid cash for his house. If he didn't he certainly has the means to.
    Arian likely has at least 5 0r 6 cars that he paid cash for and owns.
    He's accomplished all this within 5 years not the 30 years you're talking about.

Again, I don't see why Arian is complaining.

20. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

its funny people still care about this. the only problem I have is he is obviously exaggerating his situation.