1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster admits he took money in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Sep 20, 2013.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

He's right.. dunno why ppl are upset about this

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Arian Foster on taking money @ Tennessee: "I feel like I shouldn't have to run from the NCAA anymore. Why am I scared of them?"</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/381139979943960576" data-datetime="2013-09-20T19:37:07+00:00">September 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

So ppl that are upset about this and are calling him a douche think every college football player has a career in football ahead of them?

So they're expected to give 100% to the team and 100% to their academic/job career while getting paid zero?

Seems like somethings gotta give

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least Foster is honest. I don't blame him. These coaches make millions and most of these kids are broke.

5. bmd

bmd Member

Also, Arian Foster is lying. Just read his words:

"I had to either pay the rent or buy some food."

Then he says:

" I go to my dorm room, open my fridge"

He doesn't pay rent for his dorm. He is lying.

Plus, football players have meal plans that are paid for. Everything is paid for... dorm, classes, books, meal plan, etc. It's all paid for.

Also... why would he call up his coach to tell him he has no food? Wouldn't you first ask your friends if you can borrow some money or bum some food off of them? Or teammates? Or somebody before calling your coach?

It just seems silly.

He wants college athletes to get paid, and he's giving us this fake sob story about not having any money or food and acting like he was starving. It's BS.

2 people like this.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The players who don't get a career in professional sports (98% of college athletes) get a college degree they didn't pay for to fall back on.

7. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

The only way this could affect the Texans is if there is some unwitting rule like #7258537- that you never revealed that you got money from a school.

I’m not sure if football player are drama queens like Baseball players about these unwritten rules.

8. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Some of it's BS for sure. Yeah they have meal plans.. When I lived in the dorms my freshman year I had a meal plan.. but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to go out to eat somewhere else sometimes. But still if it's to the point where you have no food, you should be using your meal plan.

About the rent thing, not sure how it works but I know alot of people on scholarship who get a big check at the beginning of the semester which covers rent, tuition, etc.. Then it's their responsibility to pay rent. That could be a possibility in which hes talking about "paying rent," but that also means he blew all of the $.

His story about needing money for food/rent doesn't really add up though.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They are in the red because they have to fund all those other non revenue producing sports. If you could just isolate football and basketball they would be deep in the black.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They all take money. I think he's a douche though, but for other reasons.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I asked Foster how he'd respond to those (like many in my mentions right now) who say players get a free education in exchange for playing.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/statuses/381142282726293505">September 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>&quot;It’s not free. You put in the work. I go to work every single day as a professional athlete. I practice, I left weights...&quot; Foster (1/2)</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/statuses/381142499345317888">September 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>&quot;...That’s my job. Those athletes at that level are doing the exact same thing. Except I can go make money off of my name.&quot; Foster (2/2)</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/statuses/381142646808666112">September 20, 2013</a></blockquote>

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

So what? Its not like student atheletes can be holding down a job while going to school, and meeting their obligations to their team. If the school wants to use them to build their athletic programs, a free education a livable wage should be provided. If not, the school should be providing for their well-being. Not being able to afford food while a university is raking in huge amounts of money based on their talents is not a fair situation.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/college-athletics-losing-money/

One problem with paying players is that really, every school can't afford to do it. If allowed, the ones who can (who likely already have an advantage) will have even more of an an advantage and the already tipped playing field will tip ever farther.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think it would be a big deal as far as a recruiting tool goes.

All of the big schools (who can afford it) are getting the best players already anyway. So they will have no advantage over the other schools they always compete with.

15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I agree with this for the most part. Kids should get paid something. Make them pass a personal finance course and then pay them on a sliding scale according to how many years they stay in school and play.

The part about the coaches "driving a Lexus" though...most collegiate coaches have poured the life and soul into coaching, spending hundreds or even thousands of hours of their life to earn that Lexus. Sorry, but a 18 or 19 year-old kid college kid playing football hasn't earned it yet. Just like every coach doesn't get to drive a Lexus, every college athlete doesn't get to drive one, either. You have to put the time in and earn it....the kids that are good enough to go pro will get their Lexus. The kids that aren't good enough to go pro better take advantage of the scholarship, get in the workplace, and then earn their Lexus.

Sure they play for a "packed house", but in all fairness, the University of Tennessee had a packed stadium before Arian Foster, and will have a packed house after Arian Foster. It's not like the pros where the players necessarily put butts in the seats. He got to play in front of them; they weren't necessarily going because of him.

1 person likes this.
  16. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

It would make the smaller schools completely irrelevant

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Ben Tate?

18. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Without delving into the argument of pay/no pay, I think it's weird that he mentions food as something he lacked. At the real UT, football players ate like kings. Way better than what us normal people were eating at Jester. I think they also got a higher % of Bevo Bucks (Redeemable everywhere on campus and quite a few places off campus)?

19. Asian Sensation

Agreed. But look at what you just wrote.

Sounds like he got paid just fine. What's the issue Arian? Oh you want cash money in your pockets aside from the $150K + your University invested in you? Okay:confused:

Let's see here ... 4 year college education at U of Ten for a non athlete out of state student was probably around 100K, then you get free living, meals, books etc all the stuff you mentioned and you're easily at $150k over the course of those 4 years for a normal student. That ****'s not free for just anybody. Plus you're a celebrity on campus and you had dibs on all the southern belle tail at the time. Yet you're complaining?

He should be thankful because he got "paid" just fine.

2 people like this.
  20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah i caught that part about needing rent money, but yet he's staying in a dorm....hopefully someone asks him to clarify.

About the food, my guess is players get fed during certain hours and some players don't, or can't, attend during that time frame.

They certainly need to get paid something. The problem is, how do you distribute it? At the very least, all student athletes should get dorms and free food, no exceptions. Plus, a small stipend every semester + priority hiring when there are openings inside campus.