1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aren't you glad we didn't get Marc Jackson last year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by themugg, Sep 10, 2002.

1. themugg

themugg Member

I don't know if Marc's play would have been better here, than what he's doing in Minnesota, I do know he'd still be a better back up than Cato!!!!! but I'm glad Golden State matched our offer last year.

2. tooslickforyou

If we would have gotten Jackson, we would have had a double shot of West Nile Cato;)

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

You said the very truth about Jackson. I think it would have been a blunder that would have kept the Rox down for a long time! We would loose SF, RT & CD's tenure would have been very limited! So we should be thankfull, that things are looking out and this is the upcoming season, where we will break out and get back on the Yellow Brick Road to the Championships.

4. smoothcat

smoothcat Member

I think Marc would have been an excellent back up but the price of getting him last year would have haunted the Rockets the same way Cato's contract does!

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Do any of you guys manage investments? Be honest -- how many times were you thwarted in your efforts to make what would have turned out to be a horrifying mistake?

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Not often enough. Cisco, Intel, Ford...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

what happened to Cisco??? INTEL??

Rocket River
    :D

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We would lose Steve Francis because we signed Marc Jackson to a deal starting at 4 million? :confused:

I'm not sure why having Jackson would've been bad. He's better than Cato. He can shoot outside, which is definitely an asset, and also puts effort into his rebounding and defense. He may not have quite the blocks, but somehow I don't think losing Cato's 1.5 blocks a game would do that much damage. Jackson really liked the team, and his skills would've fit well. I'd trade for him again if we could... the more big men the better.

For the life of me, I cannot understand this sentiment. How does Cato's contract hurt us? How would Jackson's contract hurt us? We're over the cap no matter what for about the next ten years! It doesn't affect free agents, and we have bird rights to resign our own players. If you're worried about the luxury tax, CD is not stupid enough to let Griffin or Ming walk because of Cato. With the lack of quality big men in the NBA, several teams, especially in the East, would take one of them for an expiring contract. Even Vin Baker at 14 mil had a taker.

Salaries, at this point, are virtually a non-issue for us. I could care less if someone is underpaid or overpaid... we won't be a free agency player anyway, so it doesn't make a bit of difference.

9. leehoang

leehoang Member

i think marc jackson would of been a okay pick up.

but i think our team made more sense without him.

10. aznlincolnpark

how marc jackson doing last season??

11. Stevie Francis

hell yeah i very happy we did not get him. I never knew he was that type of player. But i think if the player is happy he will play better. Except cato.

12. mav3434

mav3434 Member

yeah who knows what would have happened, maybe Jackson would have played better bc he would be happy and we might have gotten diff't ping pong balls and be sitting around with Caron Butler or traded for Lewis or Odom something. So who really knows. I know we were all pretty pissed when the GunShotWounds inxplicably decided to keep hiim

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i am very happy!

we would have had:

yao-cato-jackson-collier
    moT-griff-kt-Tmo

:eek: :eek: :eek:

14. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Ha, reminds me of the first time I started making real money over the summer of 1999. I had a little bit extra saved and was living cheaply as a student, so I wanted to get in on the stock hysteria of the time.

I asked my best friend, a telecom analyst at Lehman Brothers, what stocks I should buy, and he said "WorldCom, I can't believe the numbers they put up". I was too lazy to follow through though, so I ended up just living off the money and taking out lower student loans that year. At least my friend got it half right!

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Lets say the Rockets would have signed Marc Jackson. Lets say the Rockets stink up the joint anyway and still get the #1 pick. You know what happens? Cato is TRADED this offseason, probably to Phoenix or Orlando. And we have Marc Jackson, a more motivated, hardworking player and a smaller contract (Jackson's contract is paltry when compared to the NBA today). In fact, his contract would have only been something like 1 million dollars bigger then Matt Maloney. And maybe the Rockets would have gotten something good for Jackson, a good draft pick, a quality role player at the 2 or 3 spot, or some money off of the cap. Signing Jackson could have also have been a GOOD thing! By the way Cato's contract is nothing. I know he makes 6 mill per year, but I think he has a base salary that counts against the cap of something like 2 or 3 million dollars, which is nothing.

#15 RocksMillenium, Sep 10, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2002