1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arenas uses blog to predict 50-point game vs. Blazers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Sextuple Double

Can't wait to see what he does against Duke.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've called him one before, and maybe it didn't fit before, but now it does. He just keeps making himself looks like a jackass.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I agree he's starting to look pretty stupid. It was cute at first, but now he's starting to attention-w**** in a pathetic effort to make SportsCenter whether he plays well or not; it seems like he's insecure about his almost 'sudden' ascendancy into one of the elite players in the game.

He still lacks maturity...his own coach just called him out big time after the game, that had to be embarrassing.

#43 tigermission1, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

Much better to be cocky with a smile than to be cocky and everybody hates you.

5. vmac

vmac Member

Right on. Arenas is just using that blog to promote himself and not really to share his experiences. He's trying to milk every ounce of publicity he can get. Score 50 on portland? Score 80+ on Duke given another chance? Yeah right dumbass! You only get one chance and that's it. I really hate this guy. He's a ballhog. He may get a decent amount of assists but that's because he is their PG and he plays crazy minutes.

6. vmac

vmac Member

Here's a tip: Don't believe everything he says. He's a cocky, attention grabbing ballhog.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is the article:

Wizards Players Talk; Arenas, Coach Meet
    Team Tries to Regroup After Bad Stretch

By Ivan Carter
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007; Page E01

The Washington Wizards held their first players-only meeting of the season yesterday and Coach Eddie Jordan met separately with guard Gilbert Arenas to clear the air as the team sought to regroup in the aftermath of a humiliating 21-point loss to the Portland Trail Blazers that ended with Jordan and his star guard criticizing each other through the media.

Injured forward Antawn Jamison, who has missed five games with a left knee sprain, said he took Arenas aside Sunday and rebuked him for remarks in which he blamed the loss on Jordan's pregame emphasis on defense.

"Oh, I talked to him," Jamison said yesterday. "It's like a little brother. Every now and then you have to spank 'em on the [rear]. I put him in the closet and gave him a whipping last night."

Jamison, the team captain who has watched the Wizards lose four of five games since he was injured, said Arenas told him he had spoken out of frustration. Arenas finished the game with nine points after predicting he would score 50.

"It didn't have anything to do with him not scoring a bunch of points, it's just the losing and lately we haven't been playing the way we're capable of playing with me out," Jamison said. "He made some mistakes and he's going to do everything possible to patch things up and go out there and start producing on the court."

Arenas told reporters immediately after the Trail Blazers' game that Jordan had pulled players off the court too quickly when they were beaten defensively and that the Wizards had lost their "identity." Told of the remarks, Jordan called the criticism "ludicrous" and criticized Arenas's leadership skills.

Arenas, who will be making his first start in the NBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas on Sunday, declined requests to talk to the media yesterday, team officials said.

Jordan said he met with Arenas privately and the two viewed tape of Sunday's loss so that Jordan could illustrate the points he wanted to make about why the Wizards had struggled.

"It was important that Gil and I get together and talk and things are very, very positive," Jordan said. "Gil and I have been together for a long time and we've had some ups and downs. Mostly, the downs were early in his career here. We've been very much on the same page until you guys got him riled up last night."

The team also has been forced to handle the distraction caused by a fight at practice on Friday between centers Brendan Haywood and Etan Thomas. Thomas received a two-game suspension for the fight, the third known clash between the two in the past two seasons.

Jordan addressed the leadership issue again yesterday and said he did not regret the comments he made Sunday. "No, I stand by it," Jordan said. "Absolutely. Leadership is very special, whether you are the president of the United States or the captain of a basketball team or the CEO of company. It takes a very special person to be that. I know I am the coach but certainly for every team, you need a team leader. Antawn possesses all of those qualities. He keeps people together."

Togetherness was the main issue discussed during yesterday's players-only meeting, according to several players. Forward Caron Butler said he stressed the need to get back to "having fun" and guard Antonio Daniels said he talked about the need for players to "be fans of one another."

"All we need to do as a team is look at ourselves first," Daniels said. "If we can point the finger at ourselves and worry about what we can do to improve ourselves individually, it will make our team a lot better."

Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld attended yesterday's practice and said Sunday's events were the product of frustration that has built up through losing.

"In the heat of the moment, a lot of things get said," Grunfeld said. "It's always frustrating when the team is not playing as well as you'd like it to play, but Gil's won a lot of games for us and he'll continue to win a lot of games for us. "

Jamison, who was in Golden State when Arenas was a rookie with the team in 2001, insisted that his "younger brother" hasn't slipped back into a pattern of immature behavior that made him a mercurial figure with the Warriors.

"No, I wouldn't say that," Jamison said. "The guy's taken too many steps forward to say that it was a step back to those days. Not at all. He just has to understand that no matter what he says or what he does, he's one of the most well-known basketball players in the NBA. And no matter what is said and done, he's under a microscope and he has to be more cautious and definitely choose what comes out of his mouth. "

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

hello! Wow, Jamison spanking Arenas...I guess they're getting along just fine...

10. Fuse

Fuse Member

This reminds me of the earlier thread about Arenas and how great he was... Which was then conveniently used as a Kobe bashing aveune. How things change in the blink of an eye.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-arenas-coach&prov=ap&type=lgns

Arenas sees smoother road after a 'little bump'
    By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
    February 13, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Gilbert Arenas says all is well between him and his coach, calling the spat with Eddie Jordan a "little bump" for the Wizards.

Arenas criticized Jordan following Sunday's loss to the Portland Trail Blazers. The All-Star guard said the coach's overemphasis on defense contributed to Washington's fourth loss in five games.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Arenas' remarks drew rebukes within the team and led to a players-only meeting Monday, plus a one-on-one meeting with Jordan in which the coach gave Arenas a tutorial in what was happening in the game.

"We talked about everything. It was like a tuneup," Arenas said Tuesday. "It was a tuneup for the team. We've lost four out of five. We're going into the All-Star break. This is when teams get lackadaisical, from both sides. Coaching staff felt we were getting lackadaisical, and we felt they were getting lackadaisical. We had a meeting and we got everything straightened out."

Arenas said his criticism of Jordan stemmed from frustration because the team has had trouble winning since captain Antawn Jamison was sidelined with a knee injury. Arenas said his relationship with Jordan is good.

"It was blown out of proportion. We had a little bump, and we can fix it now," Arenas said.

Jordan has said the team needs to find new leadership during Jamison's absence. Arenas, who had an unsuccessful stint as a co-captain last season, said he is not the solution.

"I'm a goof. C'mon, everyone knows that," Arenas said. "I look at my elders as the leaders. I don't want nobody looking at me. How can I tell somebody 'Don't shoot that shot' when I'm out there chucking 'em?"

On Sunday, Arenas will start in the All-Star game for the first time, having played as a substitute the last two years. He's also going to be in the 3-point shootout again -- he was the runner-up to Dirk Nowitzki last year -- and said he has been practicing nightly to perfect his form.

"I'm not a runner-up this year," Arenas said.

As evidenced by his remarks about Jordan on Sunday, Arenas has trouble keeping things to himself. He let another cat out of the bag Tuesday when he announced his jersey plans for the All-Star game.

Arenas will take to Las Vegas 100 All-Star jerseys with the word "Agent" instead of "Arenas" above his number zero on the back. He'll toss them to fans -- similar to the way he tosses his own jersey into the crowd after Wizards games -- and then plans to wear one when he takes the court for the game.

Arenas said he'll get away with it because he's starting the game.

"They won't know until the game starts," he said.

So much for the secret. In any event, such a gimmick could draw a fine.

"It's worth getting fined for," Arenas said, "because all those people who got the Arenas Zero jerseys are going to feel special."

Arenas sure know how to promote himself!!! :D

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, basically, he wants to be like Terell Owens or Chad Johnson.

Jackass.