1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arenas suspended indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eveluvsrox, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Thanks, man.

What an idiot. I take it his meeting with federal investigators went well. I guess he thought he was free and clear.

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

This won't end well...

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

That picture is absolutely hilarious only because it isn't my money or my life.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and who would listen? did anyone listen to tim donaghy? the nba knows how to discredit someone to the point of making anything they say part of the sideshow.

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

What a great birthday present...I believe in second chances. I hope he gets one and can redeem himself.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It started well though. It started damn well.

7. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Just saw on that dudes twitter the Dallas protest was denied

F YOU CUBAN

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

hahaha

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yikes! Arenas keeps digging his own hole, deeper and deeper. Combine that with Stern who is thin skinned and goes overboard towards anyone that challenges him (JVG's complaint about Yao's officiating comes to mind).

Keep quiet and stay off of Twitter. His 'I'm just a goofball' rationale is just giving the media more angles. You already made one incredibly bad decision, stop following it up Gil.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tim donaghy was a nobody with no money trying to get a book published. arenas already has millions of fans...

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If they void his contract I'm not sure the wizards should just completely get a free pass when it comes to the cap. That seem fair to anyone?

12. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

13. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm not surprised. Arenas already was in a boatload of trouble. The excessive twittering was stupid and just exacerbated the situation. The Phili scene was probably the icing on the cake. Stern was already out for his blood, and the Arenas shows him up like that? I'm not all surprised he got suspended.

The thing I'll be most curious to see is the Union's response. Billy Hunter hasn't solidly backed Arenas on this issue. I know the Union is doing their own investigation. With the owners possibly locking out this summer, I think Hunter is going to play nice with Stern. There are a lot of issues to fight over (contract lengths, salary cap, etc.), and I think Hunter wants to save his clout to deal with those. Maybe the Union will lay down on the suspension issue, but fight the termination. It seems the ultimate outcome of this is Arenas's contract getting terminated, and I don't think the Union wants to come out as pro irresponsible gunplay. However, I never underestimate the ability of Unions to back really, really stupid positions in a misguided attempt at Union cohesion.

I think Arenas is done with the Wizards. He might draw another paycheck if his suspension gets called off by an arbitrator, but the Wizards won't let him suit up again. It's just a matter of time before they move to void his contract. Either when the criminal matter winds up, or if he moves to fight his suspension (especially if it's lifted).

I always kind of liked Arenas. I don't know if I ever wanted him on the Rockets, but the guy was always all energy. He was also one of the first NBA players to blog, and he seemed like he actually cared about the fans unlike most of the players. What a stupid, stupid way to derail his career.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lesson to the other NBA players.....

DD

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

oh please this is so stupid, its like you guys want the nba to be some rogue league

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Arenas is actually a really nice guy imo. He loves basketball and he's a good person.

He's just an immature kid and at times a complete idiot.

He'll probably get charged and fined by DC Metro, but he's not going to do prison time...at the most, very, very, very little. Gun laws are strict, but the dude has been cooperating big time. He will get charged, but it's not going to be serious to the point of "up to 20 years" as dramatic reports have been written.

And assuming that the above is what happens, his contract will not be voided.

And that pic is absolutely hilarious....so dumb for him to do, but thanks for the laugh.

17. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I thought that was just an old picture. He's basically asking for trouble by doing that.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Originally I thought the pic was an old pic.

I also thought the twitter account was fake.

But now that I saw the pic was last night and the twitter account is real, it is hard to feel sorry for the guy.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I predict that after 12 games the suspension will go to arbitration and Arenas' suspension will be limited to time served. Likewise, an attempt to void his contract will be blocked by arbitration.