1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you rooting for the Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Jun 1, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't be ridiculous. Some fans have developed this idea that any true fan must harbor a jealous hatred of other Texas teams, I suppose in some sort of sibling rivalry for the affections of the state. That's just same fans, who want to make out like everyone -- or any true fan -- agrees. But, I'm a Texan. Of course I want Houston to be the Texas team that's in the finals. But, if it can't be Houston, it should at least be Texas. I feel like I have a bit of a stake in the success of the Spurs and Mavs because they're Texan. Is it because I'm too young? I'm a '99er.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Rooting for the Heat. Won't be devastated or even all that disappointed if the Spurs win.
    What's another championship for them? They are already considered a more successful franchise than us.

Now. If the Mavericks were in the finals, I would be praying they lose. And I would be livid if they matched our championship count.

3. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

No, because they have too many women there that eat too many churros (say in a Barkley accent and visualize the double fisting churro eating).

I also like the the fact that Lebron shut up all these idiots that said he wasn't the best player when he clearly was. Even when he was in Cleveland on a garbage team he still manage to go to the Finals. D-wade and Bosh don't get enough credit either.

Everybody agrees that the Spurs are great and they are, that's extremely boring to cheer for. They had enough, time for them to go away as it will be for Miami after this year.

Would be interesting to see if the Spurs will, if the Heat will break up.

-Too Many Churros

4. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

beautiful except for Dallas all things Dallas must fail. Except when against a bandwagon team like the Heat then I quietly cheer for them, never in public though

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm rooting for the Heat simply because I live in LA. I'm surrounded by Kobe stans that are ridiculously antagonistic about Lebron. He's their anti-Christ. I don't think there's any doubt who the better overall player is, but every comparison between the two comes down to "Five rings! Five rings!" for them, never mind that Shaq was the alpha dog for three of them. If Lebron threepeats by the age of 29 it might quiet them down a bit about their lord and savior. Although they have been pretty quiet this past year...

6. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

I'm rooting for the spurs so that duncan and ginobli can retire.

7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

+ Popovich

8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I've grown to respect the Spurs organization. I hope they destroy the Heat. Tired of hearing about Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

With that said, I think the Heat come out on top. Only way Spurs gonna win is if Danny Green goes off every game. Heat got that Rashard Lewis counter.

9. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

YES.
    A basket team vs Friends who want to win the more with the less efforts.
    Go Spurs.

10. RedHotRockets01

F**K SA!!! I live in the Rio Grande Valley, aka Spurs Country (D-League team means nothing to these sheep), so my life during basketball season is a living hell consisting of everyone participating in one giant circle jerk going on and on about how great the Spurs are and how jealous everyone is of them. Last i checked, we're 3-0 on that @$$ in the playoffs and if it wasnt for Larry Bird, we'd have 4 championships as well. Seriously, F**K those guys!

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Absolutely. They are the model franchise IMO.

I just can't find any hate for em. Go Rockets !

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think if the Rockets had been relevant at all during this Spurs run and we had playoff series losses to taint us we'd all root against the Spurs. It's hard to see the Spurs as the enemy, even when they are in the same division, when they haven't been a factor at all in why we have been out of the title chase.

Rockets fans from the 90s? You hate Utah because of the playoffs.

Rockets fans from 00s forward? You don't really have a good reason to hate anyone except maybe the Mavs.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

There's no Houston-San Antonio general rivalry compared to Houston-Dallas, NBA divisions are irrelevant, I don't live in Houston anymore, and your claim that Utah has never humiliated us in the playoffs is sheer ROFLMAO worthy. Remember the Stockton shot? Or Yao getting trashed by Carlos Boozer?

So no, I don't view the Spurs as rivals anymore than say, the Grizzlies or Pelicans, the other two teams in our division.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs win. But I'm more so hoping for seven OT games with buzzer beating game tying/winning shots. Controversial calls and drama from the refs. Wade and Ginobili flopping all over the place. I want both teams to do the most for seven games. Because things are going to really suck once they finish the last game of the series.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You guys who "can't find any hate" for the Spurs have forgotten the golden era of Ginobili flopping and Bruce Bowen playing, and have probably never had any Spurs fan best-friends or girlfriend, as I have. :)

I respect the heck out of Duncan and the current Spurs, but I don't like putting them on a pedestal. Still hope they beat the superfriends though.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Proximity breeds rivalry. I think you'll find that its rare for people to want the next nearest team to win if theirs doesn't... especially when their fans are usually near enough to let you hear about it.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I know a lot of spurs fans up here in DFW - they all hate the Mavs for the same reason most of us hate the Mavs..crappy fans and a crybaby owner. The Spurs fans here have respect for the Rockets much like I have respect for the Spurs. Mavs fans talk trash, Spurs fans talk respect.

Lebron's an egotistical jerk...so Go Spurs.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Do the Heat and Magic have a rivalry? In another sport, all you ever hear on this forum is that the Astros and Rangers never had a rivalry and that MLB was stupid to believe that proximity breed rivalry.

Games that matter breed rivalry. The Spurs and Mavericks have a rivalry because they are rivals to the end goal that each organization has.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stop exaggerating to make your point sound better.

- '97 Jazz were the West's #1 seed and were the favorites in a series that went 6 games.
    - '07 was a 4 vs 5 matchup that went 7 games
    - '08 was another 4 vs 5 matchup and we didn't have Yao

If you truly believe that's humiliation, I have some swampland to sell you.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm currently talking to a girl who's a huge Spurs fan. She hasn't talked ish, but f*** them anyway.