1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy about Kevin McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 27, 2011.

?

In the end, are you happy with Kevin McHale as the Rockets new Head Coach ?

1. Yes

229 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

187 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. SilentAssassin

And who is the superstar we have now that's just as good or better than KG?

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dude, if Osama Bin Laden was replacing Isaiah Thomas as coach, the poll would be different.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

To be fair, McHale went 19-12 with KG (Flip went 25-26 with the same team)

The TWolves team he went 20-43 with 2 years ago was similar to the current TWolves team (I believe the same team with Jefferson instead of Beasley)

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So you get my point.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I accepted the possiblity a few days ago but still thought Casey was the guy. I like McHale and think he will be a tremendous leader, much like Rudy was, and EVERY player will listen to him.

I do worry about the X's and O's so a STRONG core of assistants will be HUGE.

6. Chris Jent MVP

compared to adelman, he is definitely young. and look how skinny he is !! dude HAS to be hungry !!! adelman too fat !!! :grin:

i'm only half joking. i love adelman but i seriously did NOT like his body language this season. i just don't think the guy cares anymore. i feel like he gave up when yao went down. honestly i dont blame him and no hard feelings, but it was time to move on and i welcome this change.

i dont think mchale is satisfied with his 40% coaching record. he is a winner and he has pride and he is competitive. i think he is hungry and will give his best effort. it's a huge gamble but i like it.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are you sure?

Rocket River
    Maybe Adelman got this team to OVER ACHIEVE . . . Coaching counts for something.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not going to vote yes or no.

I'm in a wait and see mode. I'm willing to forget his past (although horrible) and just hope the Rockets see something in him that I do not. I am just hoping he's one of those coaches that just took a few rough bumps and now this is the team that will put his record over .500 on his resume.

9. Chris Jent MVP

*checks the standings* .... yep, i'm sure.

yep, they sure over acheived with that 15-5 start this season :rolleyes:

morey trades adelmans favorite players and the team improves. yea, rick adelman's coaching counted for something, but not anything that this team needs moving forward.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's basically a non-point. Comparing ANYBODY to Isaiah Thomas would yield the same results. It's more germane to the discussion to compare McHale to an established coach like say, the guy he replaces. McHale's record doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence. Plus, It is a big red flag when his biggest assets have nothing to do with his coaching acumen and record but instead have more to do with his legacy as a player, his personality and his relationship with players. The Rockets' players all liked Adelman too but that wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs. So now we are to expect a coach with his history to do better? Riiiiight.

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Well said, the organization has definitely made arrogant moves. At a time where u have bottom level talent and a trigger happy GM who only knows stats, you'd think the Rockets would be a little more careful. Firing Adelman for Mchale was just plain stupid basketball wise. No matter how the PR spins it, we have went backwards as a organization since Morey became GM

12. Chris Jent MVP

i expect them to start better than 5-15, that's for sure.

adelman really lowered the bar this year.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Lateral move. I'm fine with it. As currently constructed, this team isn't going anywhere anyway. We should have won ~50 games last year but underachieved early. We'll probably play slightly better than .500 ball next year.

That said, Chris Finch really needs to make a great impression on the players as an assistant coach. Whenever he takes over, he's going to deal with the obstacles of 1) never having played in the NBA, or even Division I ball and 2) never having worked under a high-profile NBA coach. I don't know enough about him to question his coaching acumen, but credibility is everything when it comes to dealing with NBA players (which is why they're hiring McHale in the first place.).

14. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Since when do we judge coaches off "body language"? The guy WANTED to coach this team but was let go because Morey couldn't control him and who he decided to play.

Im sure Mchale will welcome 30 more transactions in the next two years:rolleyes:

15. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Yea, because we know Morey did a fantastic job at providing the upper level talent we have:rolleyes:

16. Chris Jent MVP

seems contradictory. if the team shuold have won 50 games last year, then why shouldn't they win 50 games this year with this lateral move ??? also keep in mind that the team they have now is better than the team tht started last season.

i see no reason why 50 wins isn't a good target for next season.

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Because Kevin McHale is not as good of a coach as Rick Adelman. I wasn't clear enough, I meant it was a lateral move in the sense that I don't expect the team to perform any better in the standings.

18. Chris Jent MVP

same as players. bad body language is bad. just as with t-mac and brooks. adelmans head wasn't with this team anymore. and his comments about the roster changes gave him away. the dude gave up. like i said, i don't blame him, he came here to take yao+mac to a championship and he never got that chance. but it is what it is. we need a coach who cares, and that means anyone besides adelman.

and when i say he wasn't with the team anymore, i mean the entire team, not just his favorite players. yea, he said he wants to come back, but it doesn't mean much. it was clear he does not have houston rockets best interests as his top priority.

if adelman wants to be gm, then he should apply for gm job.

you're venturing into jerome solomon troll territory now. you forgot to say LAST PLACE TEAM !!!11

19. Chris Jent MVP

rick adelman is not as good of a coach as rick adelman.

yep. i said it. he gave up on the rockets this season. he has moved on, and so have i, so have the rockets, and so should you.

20. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

50 games? Lmao. You obviously don't see the downgrade from a HOF coach to a coach with essentially no experience