1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zion, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Zion

Zion Member

Don't know if this has been asked here but its a pretty simple question: Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?

I think a lot of people have short memories and seem to have forgotten what it was like in 2008. Financially speaking i am way better off and so are most of my friends.

I almost lost my job in 2008 and then again in 2009 in rounds of layoffs. My 401k which is my second largest investment was in the toilet.

Since then my 401k has more than doubled and I earn more than i did in 2008.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm definitely in a better place. Had some major setbacks but we are on the right track.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am better off now than I was in Nov. 2008. My business has been pretty busy in 2012 and things are looking up for us at the moment. It didn't look like that in Nov. 2008 when I was wondering if we were going into a depression. 2009 to 2011 were pretty rough but as far as my own business is concerned we have recovered and then some.

4. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

My investment account earned back all the losses plus some over the last four years. I am certainly better off than I was back then.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Economically? Oh, hell yes.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Heck yes. I have an iPhone now.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Make a poll:
    -Yes and voting for Obama
    -No and voting for Obama
    -Yes and voting for Romney
    -No and voting for Romney

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Financially, I'm definitely better off. But I was in grad school four years ago, so that's not really surprising.

9. Classic

Classic Member

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I am better off.

11. Orange

Orange Member

Yes I am way better.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Economically? Not at all. Because of govt. cutbacks and shortages teachers in Los Angeles Unified have taken furlough days which cut our salaries by almost 5%, and should prop 30 in California not pass, all Los Angeles teachers will take an almost 10% pay cut, this year.

It sucks especially when two teachers are married so those cuts count double to the total household income.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Well, that's what happens when we "reduce debt". That means that jobs suffer since the government is a huge employer. This is one fact that the GOP likes to ignore. Cutting spending means the unemployment rate goes up (or salaries cut).

Sorry to hear about your story.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yes. Without a doubt.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

not to mention a school year that would end in April...

FB- do you know if Prop 30 or 38 is better for schools? I have heard different info on both, and I have also heard if both of them pass, only one of them would go through... I have a hunch to vote yes on both

17. cml750

cml750 Member

Nope. My healthcare insurance premiums, deductibles, and co-pays have gone up drastically since Obamacare. A four day stint in the hospital this year cost me close to $4000 out of pocket on top of paying over 50% more for the medical premiums. It would of cost me about $200 a few years ago.

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yes, much better off and it isn't even close.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Here's the crazy thing about those props. Prop 38 is okay for schools, but it won't take effect this year. Which means that they will cut those three weeks out of the school year this year. It may also mean that once again there will be teachers and staff laid off at the end of the year.

Prop 30 will save the school year this year and reduce any layoffs. If both of the ballots pass then whichever ballot receives the most votes will be the one to take effect. So prop 30 could pass, but not ever be put into place.

Some people I know are going to vote Yes on prop 30, no on prop 32, and then not vote either way on prop 38.

That way if tons of people vote yes on prop 38 it might not have more votes than 30, but if 30 doesn't pass then at least it's not a no vote against 38.

There has been an agreement between the sponsors of prop 38 and prop 30 that they won't advertise against the other prop. Because they are both on the side of education.

The props are really confusing this year. Especially when prop 32 is worded and have commercials trying to trick people into thinking it's something that it's not.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Wow! That sucks. Sorry about that. I wish we could have some regulation to keep the insurance companies from gouging you like that. I wish we had a single payer system so that wouldn't happen at all.

1 person likes this.