1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you a Bum Phillips fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by blathersby, Jan 29, 2008.

?

Do you love or hate Bum Phillips?

1. I love Bum!

74 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. I hate Bum!

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. I don't know who he is, but all those people up there said they love bum. Heheh.

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

This post just shows your ignorance. For over a decade prior to Bum, the Oilers were a pathetic franchise. Not even a sniff of a good team. Bum got the players he inherited to believe in themselves, added some key players and completely turned the team around. The Steelers were the best team, in my opinion, that I have ever seen, which includes the undefeated Miami team. The idiot miscreant, Bud Adams fired Bum for losing to the Steelers in some of the best fought football games ever. If Bum had another 2 seasons, they might have been able to get to the super bowl. At the very least, they would have been damn competitive.

By the way, wtf does some sportswriter have to do with it anyway?

2. Buck Turgidson

And the 70's Steelers were the pioneers of heavy steroid use in the NFL.

I demand asterisks.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You know, I’ve only recently heard the “he ran Earl into the ground” criticism from folks who were adults during the Luv Ya Blue era (like my Dad). This is all news to me since I was 8 years old at the time and all I knew was that Earl Campbell was GOD. I still think so, by the way.

I don’t think it’s as far fetched for some old Oiler fans to dislike him for that reason. I don’t agree with it, but it does have some merit.

I loved him. I think he came around at exactly the right time in Houston. That team, and their coach, stood for everything our city did at that time. To this day, no other team has captured the hearts of this city like those teams did. Not even the Rockets Championship teams.

“Yup….”
    -O.A. “Bum” Phillips

4. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

5. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

How can you not like Bum? He is the greatest coach in Houston football history. It's no shame to lose to one of the greatest teams (if not the greatest) in football history in the AFC title game.

Bum is a Texas legend and if you dislike him, you're anti-Texan, anti-American, and probably just plain mean. ;)

6. msn

msn Member

I demand a Congressional investigation. Get that Mitchell on the phone.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I heard a radio interview with Bum within the last 7 months and he was asked about contributing to Earl's current conditions, and he said that it had nothing to do with football...

I doubt that's true, but he said Earl didn't blame him.

I'm too young (30) to remember the Luv Ya Blue days, but my dad LOVED Bum, so he gets my support

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Look at recent interviews with Earl. He says the same thing. He doesn't blame football, Fred Akers, or Bum Phillips.

9. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

One more

On Don Shula: "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

10. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

I believe a was listening to the same interview on 610 and Bum said if the medical community had the same technology today that Earl would never had played. Something to do with a nerve or artery wrapped around his tailbone, which is what is causing his back problems today.

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

I echo those sentiments!!!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I prefer a Bum Phillips and Rudy T approach to a JVG/Larry Brown one.

GO BUM !!

DD

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Bum was the proto coach of the good ol' days when coaches could grab you by your facemask and just whomp you upside the head. And we didn't have any foam in there back then; it was just nylon straps.

Monkey rolls, Bull-in-the-ring and Hamburger drills ...water break? you want a water break ? p***y! everybody line up for wind sprints!

14. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

lol, love the responses. I've heard people (from Houston) that didn't care for Bum for the Earl Campbell reasons. I didn't vote in the poll; I'm 23. But man oh man, I listened to Houston Oilers #1 all the TIME as a kid. And yeah, I was an Eagles fan even then. But that doesn't mean I didn't cheer for the Oilers.
    You know what? DOWNLOAD IT.
    Note: The above is a megaupload link. If you don't like it, tough.

#34 blathersby, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  15. msn

msn Member

What is megaupload? I'm at work; I want to make sure it doesn't get me busted if I were to attempt to download whatever clip you've got there.

16. blathersby

It's a site where you can upload various things for people to download. It's free and entirely run by ads; it's also been a hotbed for people to up/download p*rn. They started another site for that (seriously, when you try to upload something, they say, "Don't upload p*rn here! Use Megarotic instead!").
    But it should be fine. I didn't upload a virus or anything; it's just an mp3.

So... more questions: Should the Texans have been named the Oilers? Could Houston handle 2 football teams (if some benevolent figure decides to buy the "titans" and move them home)? Can the run and shoot be effective in the NFL anymore (ooh... good poll question)?

17. Buck Turgidson

Reminds me of high school.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ditto. I don't know any Houston native who doesn't have a place in their heart for Bum. I was a huge Oilers fan and Bum helped create some of the most wonderful moments in their long and not forgotten history.

19. blathersby

So I'm watching this and remembering just how much I loved the Oilers. Sigh...
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhO9CuTAC7U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhO9CuTAC7U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#39 blathersby, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bum was the man!

[​IMG]